Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
bdtutton

Default 250 Days of A - Daily Driver

When Johnathan Klinger of Hagerty drove his 1930 Model A around Michigan for 365 days straight it inspired me to get a 1930 Model A Tudor like his. He made it through the heat of the summer and the nastiness of a Michigan winter in his Model A. He truly drove his car every where every day.

When I got my car I decided it was too nice to expose it to salt and without a heater I was too wimpy to drive it when it was below zero so there were times my Model A sat inside while the Michigan winter stormed. I also decided that I was going to drive my modern car on any trip over about 50-60 miles because it seemed kind of hard on the car and hard on the driver.

That being said I am guessing that I am a 250 day a year driver of my Model A. I drive it to work every day and probably average 1000 miles a month on it. When you drive a Model A that much there is a LOT OF MAINTENANCE to do on the car. With the small gas tank you also have to put gas in quite often.

I just wanted to report that I am almost a year in and the biggest problem I had on the road was a flat tire. There are times it sputtered a little while driving, but I filed the points a little when I got home or cleaned some crud out of the carburetor and the sputter went away. Most of my 9-10 mile each way commute is on smooth roads traveling between 40-50mph. I only have the hit the brakes a couple of times between work and home so my brakes are seldom strained.

Overall I have been impressed with how sturdy this car is and how nice it is to have so much ground clearance. One day I arrived at an event early and wanted to leave early and realized I was completely trapped in the parking lot by other cars. I eased the car over the curb, down a short sidewalk, over a grassy birm and through a ditch and I was on the road. My friends with SUVs admitted they doubted they could have done what I did....and it did not even strain the car.

I do miss having good wipers, air conditioning and a radio, but besides that I keep up with traffic and often forget I am driving a museum piece.

Forgot to say....Run a 6V Alternator, LED brake lights, LED turn signals and seat belts.

Happy Motoring....

Last edited by bdtutton; 09-28-2018 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Additional information
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:41 AM   #2
TerryH

Default Re: 250 Days of A - Daily Driver

Great story and it shows how very practical these cars still can be, if driven sensibly and maintained. My first car was a Model A Coupe, and from 1964 through 1967 it was my daily driver when I lived in San Diego, I drove it to college and to work, plus on numerous trips in Southern California. When I sold it in 1967, to enter the US Air Force, I had put about 30,000 miles on it. Granted, the car was only 34 years old at the time, but I was always impressed on just how reliable it was.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:47 AM   #3
GerryAllen

Smile Re: 250 Days of A - Daily Driver

I also was encouraged by the Haggerty video and now use mine as a daily driver from April through Mid Oct. From that point on it be will then be a weekly driver not due to the temperature but rain. Living north of Seattle and near the water we get some pretty ugly rain storms, I don't have the heart to drive it when its pouring or worse yet the driving rain and wind with salt mist off of the bay.
My observations as a daily driver are very similar to yours, very reliable, tuning and tweaking is a must, stay ahead of the maintenance. The only up grades I have done is a shorter Pitman arm for steering, an alternater and really a must is a bright LED brake light bar in my rear window which is safety item. I believe after driving mine on average of 700-1000 a month the more you drive it the more dependable it becomes.
One advantage I have over most is our county is very rural and I can go anywhere on secondary roads. I am not keen on the Interstate Highways as my top speed of 40-45 MPH.
I would encourage using your Model A as a driver and to all SAVE DRIVING.
Gerry Birch Bay Wa
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Those Old Cars THRIVED on Wrecking Yard parts & fast moving parts from a RACK, beside the Cash Register, at WOOTENS' Grocery Store & installed at the CURB, outside.
Bill W.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
rfitzpatrick

Is there anyway to follow this guys adventures? Living in South Florida -- we don't store our cars - except for a Hurricane pass.
Thanks
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
1930artdeco

I wish I could drive mine more. But the Idiots we have here and the huge amounts of traffic make it not such a good idea.

Mike
Old 09-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #7
ronn

Congratulations! Quite a feat.

if only I had the nerve to try it.............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
GerryAllen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Congratulations! Quite a feat.

if only I had the nerve to try it.............
Ronn, try it for a one month period, see how it works out for you. I understand not everyone can use their Model A as a driver but if you have hankering do it .
Let us know how it is working out for you.
Gerry Birch Bay Wa
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...I drove a 1930 Coupe around Newport Beach, Santa Ana and Costa Mesa from 1963 to 1968 and it was the only car I owned all of that time. I even drove it to Palm Springs one time and I never had to have it towed home. In those days, once you left home, you were pretty much on your own...no cell phones...damn few pay phones...As long as I performed the normal maintenance and recognized problems before they stopped the car, it ran great. I sold it just before I joined the Army in May of 68 and did not have time or money for another one until 2005. I've had a 31 Tudor since 05 and I have managed to put 19,000 miles on the old girl since 05. They are really great cars to drive...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
Hoovercw

I drive mine about 60% of the time. The rain is what keeps it in most of the times. Other than that it gets out more than my regular car.
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:59 AM   #11
ronn

Ronn, try it for a one month period, see how it works out for you. I understand not everyone can use their Model A as a driver but if you have hankering do it .
Let us know how it is working out for you.
Gerry Birch Bay Wa

very good point Gerry!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #12
Ernie Vitucci

We don't get much rain in Arizona...so I can drive it pretty much daily from November to May when we go over 100 in the afternoon for pretty much most days except for Monsoon Rains, now and again. During the summer, I get her out for breakfast, once a week and have her back in the garage before it hits 95 about 10am...often on the way to someplace between 105 and 110. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #13
redmodelt

Not a Model A but my 48 F2 which is not as fast as a Model A as it has the 4.86 rear, is my everyday driver and I stay off the interstate too. Ok it does have a heater, good wipers but no radio. By the way I joke its a Model A with two extra cylinders (its a 6) with factory 3 speed.