Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2023, 05:28 AM   #1
Mac VP

Default Where do I send these parts?

Just a friendly reminder to everyone about actually verifying the correct address for something you plan to ship to someone…..whether it’s a return or core part to be repaired or to fill an order. When you fail to do this, a valuable part may be sent to an old address, or an incorrect address altogether. The item can be lost….perhaps forever. We’ve had people send parts to my old address (last used in 2008). The delivery company put it on the porch where it languished and I was never informed. Another vendor had a similar story….a very valuable core part sent to his very old address. The current resident tired of getting such deliveries and threw the item away. Don’t trust some random google search to come up with the CURRENT address….those searches will often bring up old addresses. Get the right address by asking the recipient himself or looking at the contact page on their website. Addresses (and telephone numbers) do change for people and businesses.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:01 AM   #2
OldGold360

Default Re: Where do I send these parts?

Great advice!
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:37 AM   #3
nickthebandit

Mac, when I sell something to someone always ask them for their shipping address. It is amazing how many people buy something, and don't give you a delivery address.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:45 PM   #4
Mac VP

I was amazed earlier this year when someone attempted to ship a package to us from an official UPS Store (an official authorized UPS retail outlet). The bumpkin at the UPS Store told the customer that they couldn’t ship to a post office box (at least they got that right) and then proceeded to search the internet for my name (rather than our company name) and somehow managed to find my old address from many years ago…..where my ex wife still lives. Rather than calling our office to verify the address, they proceeded to ship the package to that old address. When nothing showed up here, the customer called and we learned what had happened. I suggested that he would have to call her himself and figure out how to get the item back. I don’t think he was thrilled with having to do this but I certainly wasn’t going to. Thankfully it worked out and the part was retrieved. I’m sure similar stories have occurred with other parties.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:23 AM   #5
flatford8

This is all great advice. I recently sent a coil to Skip Haney. The USPS tracking stopped at a distribution center 100 miles from his address. I’ve had this happen before and the item that was shipped was lost. I let a week pass because I was told repeatedly it was “ in the system”. It showed up at my door, all finished the next day. It looked brand new and I was happy it didn’t get lost. All this is to say addresses have to be current and correct to at least give your parts a chance to make it where you want it to go......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:41 AM   #6
ronn

I mail regs and am constantly surprised by illegible addresses Im given or better yet, post office boxes..... I ask for an address so I can send certified mail. A post office box can only get a stamp.

How about all of the times Ive recd a money order with no specifics as to what its for? Then I get to play Houdini or guess which customer wtd a part?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 12:55 PM   #7
Model51

I'm old school. I print out a slip of paper with the From and To addresses and place it INSIDE the box (after verifying the correct address). I had a box with a fire pump in it which was left outside at some point in the rain during transit and the shipping label somehow detached. Only the slip inside the box got the pump to the final destination after considerable delay.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:35 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
I'm old school. I print out a slip of paper with the From and To addresses and place it INSIDE the box (after verifying the correct address). I had a box with a fire pump in it which was left outside at some point in the rain during transit and the shipping label somehow detached. Only the slip inside the box got the pump to the final destination after considerable delay.
I do the same thing on most everything I ship.....just incase something happens to the lable attached on the outside of the box. I also cover the main label on the outside of the package with clear tape to help protect it from being damaged.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote