Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2024, 11:37 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Need cluster gear idntification

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Wow! V-8:

Thanks for sharing all that gearhead info.

Don't necessarily believe all that you read from some loudmouth in Texas. I usually just make-up most of that stuff as I go.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:31 AM   #22
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Wow! V-8:

Thanks for sharing all that gearhead info.
You can do some pretty cool stuff with gearing, if you can't afford a columbia (like me).
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-28-2024, 12:02 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
You can do some pretty cool stuff with gearing, if you can't afford a columbia (like me).

Exactly my point, Seth. Lots'a folks out there that have no idea how important gear ratios are to any vehicle's operation. Not only that, but poor choices in ratio selection can more than ruin the results of any modification, possibly resulting in real disappointment with the outcome of a project. This is why I harp so heavily on understanding the negatives involved when using a COMPLETE "S-10" T5 transmission with their ridiculous 1st and subsequent gear ratios, RATHER than just using the S-10 specific tail shaft housing and short shift shaft to move the shifter to the favored forward location. It is really such a simple concept.

Your approach saves the cost of an expensive Columbia rear, not to mention that the Columbias (MY OPINION) are just one more possible point of frangibility to be concerned with under hard use. I like your combination .... thinking way outside the box on that one!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:58 PM   #24
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Exactly my point, Seth. Lots'a folks out there that have no idea how important gear ratios are to any vehicle's operation. Not only that, but poor choices in ratio selection can more than ruin the results of any modification, possibly resulting in real disappointment with the outcome of a project. This is why I harp so heavily on understanding the negatives involved when using a COMPLETE "S-10" T5 transmission with their ridiculous 1st and subsequent gear ratios, RATHER than just using the S-10 specific tail shaft housing and short shift shaft to move the shifter to the favored forward location. It is really such a simple concept.

Your approach saves the cost of an expensive Columbia rear, not to mention that the Columbias (MY OPINION) are just one more possible point of frangibility to be concerned with under hard use. I like your combination .... thinking way outside the box on that one!

Coop

Thank you Coop, Seth and all other posters to this thread. Because of Coop's T5 ramblings, I'm entering the deep waters of the Jeep T5 modification. Makes too much sense not to use gearing to your advantage.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote