Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 07:34 PM   #41
P.S.

Default Re: In case you want to know the whole story, or an update

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I’m asking because I’m genuinely interested in the outcome of this debate. When it comes time for engine work on my car, I’m considering a Burtz block instead of a rebuild on my original block. I’d like to know where the latest information is/will be posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The good news is, there is no debate. Terry and I are going to work together on a project. I will leave the reporting here to Mr. Burtz since he is more knowledgable on the subject and can likely interpret what my machinist says better than I can.

Now, I'm keeping an eye on messages on the other forum. The bullies and haters on this forum are detrimental to my positivity.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #42
todd3131

Paul,
I hope the dialogue between you two has improved to the point that you can build this motor and make a video of it, really want to see one so I know what to ask my engine builder.
Onward and upward.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #43
JRShaw

Smile Re: In case you want to know the whole story, or an update

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLampl View Post
Paul Shinn,

I am responsible for the QA on the manufacture of the blocks and want to address your concerns.

I am asking you to publish the inspection results from Willie on this forum so they can be compared to the results from the modern shop that we will be using, and they can also be compared to the engineering drawing requirements.

On the vertical surface of the cylinder block where the timing gear inspection cover mounts, there is a serial number. This number is applied after the final inspection at the factory and is unique for every cylinder block.

For each of your 2 cylinder blocks please list the serial number and provide a measured numerical dimension for every dimension that you believe to be in error. Your measured dimensions are very important for comparison purposes, and if a photograph can be provided, it would help us understand how the measurements were made.

The crankshafts are manufactured and numbered in small batches. If a crankshaft from a batch passes inspection, the entire batch is assumed to be good.

For your 2 crankshafts, please publish the batch number along with the diameters and runout for the 5 main bearings (20 measurements).

The crankshaft drawing has a tolerance on diameter, so each of the 5 main bearings could have slightly different diameters and still be within tolerance.

The drawing also has a requirement that all 5 main bearings be concentric within a tolerance. Can you publish a number regarding the concentricity of the 5 main bearings to each other?

We are also asking you to publish any other numbers that you have regarding the connecting rod journals, the seal rubbing surface, the timing gear mounting surface, and the diameter where the front pulley mounts.

Do you have any concerns regarding the connecting rods or any other parts from us?

We take quality assurance very seriously.

We need your published numbers (facts) so we are not spending money to measure undisputed dimensions.

Thank you, John Lampl
All of John's thoughts as well as suggestions seem to be presented in a very logical, rational, as well as very thorough manner. This is an opinion of over thirty years of engineering experience, with a machine design background in addition to many years of product design and development. Please give John and Terry a chance without uneducated comments. Thank You.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:38 PM   #44
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Now, I'm keeping an eye on messages on the other forum. The bullies and haters on this forum are detrimental to my positivity.
I hope all forums are kept up to date. I’ve never seen a forum that covers every perspective equally and without bias. That is why we have two national clubs after all, two political parties,
Old 09-04-2022, 11:30 PM   #45
The Master Cylinder

I'll have a Corona to that!

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
Old 09-05-2022, 06:04 AM   #46
shew01

Default In case you want to know the whole story, or an update

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
Good question... I would like to know too.

Maybe this is it. Who knows?

https://www.vintage<other ford site>...tched-this-yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2022, 06:58 AM   #47
jack backer
BANNED

Bullies and haters are anyone who disagrees with your methods or point of view? That pointing out the risk you assumed with a video you shared on the internet is grounds for childish name calling?
Old 09-05-2022, 07:33 AM   #48
sdpet56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post
Bullies and haters are anyone who disagrees with your methods or point of view? That pointing out the risk you assumed with a video you shared on the internet is grounds for childish name calling?

Exactly, ask anyone who has been through a divorce!
Old 09-05-2022, 11:00 AM   #49
CWPASADENA

Folks,

At this point, we are all just speculating.

I vote that we put this whole thing on hold until Paul and Terry can jointly come up with and then post the critical dimensions for this particular engine kit. We can then see the results and comment from there.

My opinion,

Chris W.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:10 AM   #50
TerryH

Amen…..enough side comments until they work through it….
Old 09-05-2022, 11:15 AM   #51
Laredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
Folks,

At this point, we are all just speculating.

I vote that we put this whole thing on hold until Paul and Terry can jointly come up with and then post the critical dimensions for this particular engine kit. We can then see the results and comment from there.

My opinion,

Chris W.
X 1,000,000!!! This thread should be locked. The situation has progressed to a productive, collaborative, and cordial place between Paul and Terry, and no amount of opinions flying around in the meantime can produce anything useful until the actual data and results are posted. Some on here seem intent on trying to keep the drama stirred up, and that’s getting old. Fast. Terry has already requested people not to post on this thread anymore until the results come. IMO, the moderator should lock this.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:09 PM   #52
Ryan
Administrator

Bullies and haters... that's disappointing. Please report this when you see it.

I have very little tolerance for that kind of thing here.
Closed Thread