Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2023, 05:05 PM   #1
Squadron

Default Starter

So I bought a new starter to replace the dead one I got. It turns out that the thing is harder to reinstall than I thought, and this happened...

So now I can't get it back together. Plus, it looks like the Bendix drive doesn't really fit in the opening for the flywheel.

Any advice on how I can pull the Bendix off and replace it with a proper one or get the danged thing back together?
Squadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:39 PM   #2
Model51

Default Re: Starter

A friend purchased a new starter (made in China) for just under $300 and it looked really nice. The problem was that when it was hot it did not work. Turns out the machining tolerances were off spec and when it got hot the internal parts expanded and shorted out. The car just would not start when hot.

He attempted to fix it but in the end gave up and rebuilt an original Ford starter. He has had no issues since. Moral of the story, spending big money on a newly manufactured starter isn't a good solution. Rebuilt an original.

I can't tell from your pictures if the poor manufacturing quality caused your problems, but it might be an issue to consider.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:00 PM   #3
19Fordy

If you can buy a rebuilt OEM starter that has the OEM Bendix drive.
They are the best.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:13 PM   #4
Squadron

The problem is that it came apart, mostly. But yeah I think I'm going to just try to grab an OEM starter that was rebuilt. It's easiest.
Squadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:35 PM   #5
Don T

To keep these starters from coming apart put a shim (like a 3/8" nut) under the head of one of the bolts that go thru the starter into the cover plate. This lets you keep the starter from coming apart as you try to maneuver it into place as the bolt threads into the rear plate of the starter and keeps it together. When you get the starter in place snug up the other bolt first, loosen the first bolt and remove the "shim" from under the head and then tighten it up. Super simple if you think about it and a PIA if you do not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230312_182336648_HDR.jpg (53.2 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Don T; 03-12-2023 at 07:28 PM.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:35 PM   #6
RKS.PA

From the pictures, you have a couple of problems now. First, the armature is out of the starter (I think), so that means it's got to go back together. This has happened to me several times when I take the starter off, so I put duct tape across the body and end caps to not only hold it together, but also to remind me to keep it connected as I bring it front and down.
The second issue is that it looks like the bendix is extended and getting it back together where it belongs it damn near impossible. Since this happened to me with one of the "newer" versions of the bendix, I found a U Tube video where you rotate the the bendix gear at a high speed...like after the engine starts...on a wire brush bench grinder and spin it back in the original position. If you can find an original type bendix (what about the one from your old starter??), you might salvage the rest of the starter, if you can get it back together the way it came to you.

Best of luck!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:43 PM   #7
Wayne Schuenke

No problem you can put it back together again aket the band off and that will expose the brushes. there should be a hole in the brush caseing so push the brush back and insert a paper clip in the horle to hold it there I think there is 4 of them put the armature back in and take the clips out then put the band back on the replace the bendix rhat is the correct one . tape the end caps togeter so it wont fall apart hen installing it take tape off after insyalled
Wayne Schuenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:16 PM   #8
alanwoodieman

grind a 45 degree bevel on the bendix "ring" and this will make it easier to insert behind the flywheel
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote