Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #21
2manycars

Default Re: Pitctures of the snow and car.

Another snow photo of my car is A of the day on MAFCA this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CoverCar.jpg (111.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #22
Keith True

This was taken two years ago when we got our yearly snowfall all in a couple of weeks.There is a well under the floor of the shed,under the car.I found I can slither under that car,dragging a water pump,to drop into the 5 foot pit without moving the car.I had shoveled enough to open one door,I didn't want to shovel enough to open both doors and drive the car out.The snow to the left of the door was the actual snow level,not the snowbank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (49.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (53.9 KB, 97 views)
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #23
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
I haven 't figured out how to upload a picture to the forum yet. But my daughter just helped me put some snow pictures in my profile album. Feel free to check it out. Jeff

Step-1
1. Open your album
2. Double Click the picture you want
3. The picture will come up large and right below it you will see the Picure URL
4. Highlight the URL then
5. Hold the crtl button down and press the letter v to copy the URL

Step-2
1. Open the thread you want the picture in.
2. Go to post reply In this case I used “Quick Reply”
3. Click on picture of Mountain
4. Make sure the http:// is highlighted
5. Hold the crtl button down and press the letter v to paste the URL you copied in Step-1
6. Choose OK

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #24
Lona

While my daily driver in high school was a '30 coupe, I had forgotten how well these great cars do in the snow. I had 16" wheels on it and had no trouble going anywhere in the New Jersey snow. I wonder.........are 19" wheels better in the snow than 16's ? Now you all have me anxious to take out our '31 roadster with 19's in the next snow!

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #25
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lona View Post
While my daily driver in high school was a '30 coupe, I had forgotten how well these great cars do in the snow. I had 16" wheels on it and had no trouble going anywhere in the New Jersey snow. I wonder.........are 19" wheels better in the snow than 16's ? Now you all have me anxious to take out our '31 roadster with 19's in the next snow!

Glen
Should be, more weight per inch of contact space. Snow is best with narrow tires granted A its not so deep it beaches the car and B theres a solid road underneath. If both of those requirements arent met get the fattest tires you can fit so it "floats" on top of the snow.

My chevette with bald 165/55-R13 tires was excelent in the snow. Many times felt the snow skiff the bottom of the car but it just kept going. Usually the front wheels when turning would loose traction and wash out well before the rear would spin or fishtail so be aware of that.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #26
JDupuis

Seaslugs... I hear you. My 74 Datsun 710 was the best car for winter driving. Those Chevettes were tough cars.
30ccpickup..... Thank you once more.. When my daughters come home, I'll get them to help me as per your instructions.. Jeff
Old 01-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #27
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
My chevette with bald 165/55-R13 tires was excelent in the snow. Many times felt the snow skiff the bottom of the car but it just kept going. Usually the front wheels when turning would loose traction and wash out well before the rear would spin or fishtail so be aware of that.
Quote:
Seaslugs... I hear you. My 74 Datsun 710 was the best car for winter driving. Those Chevettes were tough cars.

Best snow car I ever had was a Fiero - light car and mid-engine weight distribution helped both traction and steering.

Some cool (literally!) pix but I think I'll stay here in the only state that didn't get snow.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #28
steve s

Quote:
30ccpickup..... Thank you once more.. When my daughters come home, I'll get them to help me as per your instructions.. Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Best snow car I ever had was a Fiero - light car and mid-engine weight distribution helped both traction and steering.

Some cool (literally!) pix but I think I'll stay here in the only state that didn't get snow.
At the other extreme, was my '65 Rambler American, seen here confronting just another winter day in Syracuse, NY. I kept two cinder blocks in the trunk and often had my girlfriend hop into the back seat to give me a bit more traction from the drive wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas in Syracuse c.jpg (42.7 KB, 52 views)
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #29
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
. . . and often had my girlfriend hop into the back seat to give me a bit more traction . . . .
I thought this thread had morphed into a Drive-In movie thread there for a moment!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #30
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
I thought this thread had morphed into a Drive-In movie thread there for a moment!
It's the front seats that reclined in the Ramblers and Nashes.

If this is an objectionable level of thread hijack, somebody tell me and I'll delete. I'm assuming that winter time threads, when so many of us are sitting around at loose ends, can be a bit more wide ranging, especially after the original question has been answered.

Last edited by steve s; 01-11-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #31
CHuDWah

Quote:
At the other extreme, was my '65 Rambler American, seen here confronting just another winter day in Syracuse, NY. I kept two cinder blocks in the trunk and often had my girlfriend hop into the back seat to give me a bit more traction from the drive wheels.

My grandma had one - I never drove it in winter but it was pretty nice. White 2-door with red interior and whatever was the biggest V-8 they had - pretty cool for an old lady (and no, I'm not implying Ramblers were just old lady cars ).
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #32
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
My grandma had one - I never drove it in winter but it was pretty nice. White 2-door with red interior and whatever was the biggest V-8 they had - pretty cool for an old lady (and no, I'm not implying Ramblers were just old lady cars ).
The '65 American only came with 6-cylinders, but it was a really nice motor. Seven main bearings, 232 cid, 155 hp, quick and very smooth. Only came with automatic trans, geared so it could get rubber in all three gears--another indication of light rear end. I wrote to the company complaining that it would only go 95 mph. The trans was woefully not up to the task. My Ford driving friends had taught me how to lock it in second by dropping shift lever into Low after flooring it into "passing gear". Then, you could roar around in 2nd gear, just like if you had a stick. By the time of my 5th trans rebuild, the car was out of warranty, so I had to cut out the kid stuff.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #33
1934FordDeluxe

Couple quick videos of the A and T in the snow
https://youtu.be/aR7lBUagsxU
https://youtu.be/_dMbrWEaoVs
1934FordDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
The '65 American only came with 6-cylinders, but it was a really nice motor. Seven main bearings, 232 cid, 155 hp, quick and very smooth. Only came with automatic trans, geared so it could get rubber in all three gears--another indication of light rear end. I wrote to the company complaining that it would only go 95 mph. The trans was woefully not up to the task. My Ford driving friends had taught me how to lock it in second by dropping shift lever into Low after flooring it into "passing gear". Then, you could roar around in 2nd gear, just like if you had a stick. By the time of my 5th trans rebuild, the car was out of warranty, so I had to cut out the kid stuff.
So, you're the guy that drove them out of business!

My neighbor pulled the same stunk with his mom's brank new 1963 Chevy with a 6 automatic. He got the car rolling backwards, then slammed it into drive as he floored the engine. Put the tranny out when the car had 37 miles on it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #35
1930-fordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1934FordDeluxe View Post
Couple quick videos of the A and T in the snow
https://youtu.be/aR7lBUagsxU
https://youtu.be/_dMbrWEaoVs
Thank you for posting.
I wish I had done donuts with mine now.
If it snows again, I'll post it😎
1930-fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #36
1930marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-fordor View Post
In NC some parts received around 10 inches.
That is alot for this area. It was nice powder, so I went out for a short run before it got that deep.
Handled very nicely.
Thanks for the nice photo - you made my day! I need to give it a try.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #37
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
So, you're the guy that drove them out of business!

My neighbor pulled the same stunk with his mom's brank new 1963 Chevy with a 6 automatic. He got the car rolling backwards, then slammed it into drive as he floored the engine. Put the tranny out when the car had 37 miles on it.
Tom,
I hadn't thought of it in that way before, but, sadly, I guess I did do my part to demise AMC. But, they had had the option of putting a beefier trans in my car in the first place (lame excuse, I know--or, as my mom would say, "Darn dumb kid!")

Wow, but that stunt with powering out of Reverse, seems just plain cruel--no redeeming social value at all; totally unlike an adolescent boy wanting to roar around in 2nd gear. However, I must admit that if your friend's trans was that awful 2-speed Slush-o-matic, it sort of deserved to be abused until it was put out of its misery, IMO.

Here we are on the happy day my Rambler--only half-jokingly referred to as The Golden Beast--was brand new. My Model A had just begun its 21 year long sleep in Grandma's garage, while I went off to grad school and life intervened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golden Beast brand new (2)-cropped.jpg (40.6 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by steve s; 01-12-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #38
SeaSlugs

Ive always had a soft spot for AMC cars... i dont know what my draw is to the darn Eagle wagon but for whatever reason I love it!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #39
BILL WILLIAMSON

Remember, when dealing with MUD ROADS, skinny tires work best.
Chief was a MASTER MUDDY road pilot, with a multitude of "tricks".
Chiefs' Son
Old 01-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #40
Jemelton#

I remember my Dad telling me that he used to wrap his model A rear wheels with rope thru the spokes to help traction on snow and mud.
I haven't driven mine out of the garage when there's a chance of rain let alone snow!
Jemelton# is offline   Reply With Quote