Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
bart78

Default 29 coupe wood patterns

I'm going to be trying to put a coupe body together this winter. And I'm going to have to put new wood in it. We have tons of ash and the tools to make it. But was wondering if anyone knew of a place to get patterns. I would rather make them than spend a thousand dollars buying it. Thanks
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: 29 coupe wood patterns

The Ford Archives has them I would think.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Terry,NJ

Bart, The wood for a Town Sedan costs thousands, the wood for a coupe is only a few hundred. But then why spend that if you have the wood already and just have to shape and size it? Making my own wood was sort of a "ego" thing with me. I am a former Tool and Diemaker and I like working in various materials. The wood in a Town Sedan is structural, it holds the body together and rigid, The body without wood flops around like jello. Whereas, I'm told, the wood in a coupe is mainly "Nailers" to attach things to. The easiest way is to buy some old wood off a restoration shop and duplicate it as close as possible. Take a look at Brent,ten-uh-c's site in which he assembles coupes, tudors, fordors, all kinds of stuff. Very interesting!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
bart78

There are no restoration shops close to here. I saw on Howells site. The top wood for 400 and for the body 400. That's not bad but like you said I have the wood and tools to make my own. I will keep looking to see what I can find.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
silversink

I have made the wood for my 29 ---I have some patterns for around the quarter windows--the other wood was trial and error. I have several pieces that were close that I had to remake until I got the fit I needed, I'm still working on the back header and the rear window surround. The top bows I cut out of Oak to the conture of the bent ones. I built a steam chamber to bend the top bows as original but gave up on that process. I can make paper patterns for you if you want but they will be a tracing of what I did which is as close as I could copy with the rotten wood pieces I had to work with that were in the coup to begin with.
Maybe with an effort we can put together patterns from several of us doing our own wood.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
bart78

I would take whatever I could get. I have not seen what wood or if any wood is left in the body. I'm going to go get it Thursday.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
There are no restoration shops close to here. I saw on Howells site. The top wood for 400 and for the body 400. That's not bad but like you said I have the wood and tools to make my own. I will keep looking to see what I can find.

Bart, I would suspect that the wood listed on Ryan's site is manufactured by Carlin (--now Carline). If that is so, it would not be my first choice!!!

I can tell you from experience that wood plans as you are seeking do not exist. The archives do have drawings for each of the pieces however you will spend in great excess of what the entire kit would cost you. If you are truly adamant about manufacturing your own Coupe wood, then maybe you could purchase the kits from Classic Wood to use as patterns. Then once you have manufactured all of the pieces, sell the purchased kit to re-coop your money.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
bart78

I'm thinking I might order a kit for the roof. And make the rest. The roof seems to be what would be the hardest to make. It does not have to be perfect. I'm leaning toward building a dry lakes style car out of it. It's pretty rough ad would be a good one to use. Because it's not going to be using a good car.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
silversink

the hardest piece to make and fit was the one over the doors----lots of angles and holes everywhere. The next hardest was the quarter windows, after that the header and the back piece that I call the back header, the bows were the easiest. If I was to do all over again I would buy the kit and a new set of installation screw and bolts because I had well over 3 weeks into the finishing of the pieces working on them everyday for at least 3 hr.s a day