Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
41panelmark

Default 41 1.5 ton split rim help needed

I have not done one of these for a long time and I cannot remember the trick. My truck has split rims although not widow makers they do have the solid ring around the the outer edge, anyone have instructions and or video on how to get these apart? I had wrongly assumed that they were similar to the AA Splits however those rings have a true split in the outer ring. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks guys.

Mark
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
alan

Default Re: 41 1.5 ton split rim help needed

you need to look carefully around the solid ring for a small (3/4" or less) gap between the ring and the rim, into which you place a tire iron and as you bump on the ring opposit this gap you pry up on the ring using the gap as a leverage point--the ring will kind of slide in that direction causing a space to appear between the ring and the rim, into that space place another tire iron and work the ring off-not to hard once you get the hang of it. just did two of my tires/rims on my 1 1/2 ton
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
scrapiron

To add to what Alan said,,you must break down the tire bead before you try to remove the "LOCK RING",,,,that is the proper name for that type of wheel.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Jim

To add to the other comments, be sure to place ring side against a wall or wrap a chain around the complete tire and ring before airing back up after remounting. just for safety's sake, these rings have been known to blow off during airing.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
41panelmark

Thanks guys, I had a flat one to try but had no luck, I was able to get 2 bars in the space mentioned but it was not enough to pull it over the rim. Might have to compress the tire more or something. Planning on putting all new on soon but thought I would practice on the spare 1st.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
alan

really don't need to compress tire, but you do need to find the "sweet" spot using the small knotch in the removable ring. The inner part of the ring is specially shaped to go over the rim. I will try to see if I can make pictures of my dissasembled rim/ring in the am and try to post of send to you
Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Bob C

I looked at a lock ring I have and the sweet spot is about 4 inches to the
left of the little notch and there is another one 180 degree from the first one.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
truckdog62563

The others have said it well, I'll add some pictures that might help. The wheels are most likely to have what is called a Firestone "RH" rim design. Not to confused with the "RH-5°" that is today known as the widow maker. The "RH" design was used from the 1930s into the early 1950s. In the below picture you see the two indented areas on the ring that permit it to be advanced on or off the rim. Do not exert too much force on the RH tire tool as you hammer on the back edge of the rim. Bending a ring ruins it, and you can't buy new ones.

Next picture is a cross section diagram that shows the trough in the rim that allows the ring to pull up in as the ring passes over the rim's edge going on or off. It will need to be clean to allow that to occur.

Last point I'll make is that these are best handled by professionals. They are the most difficult of the breed to work on. Also, professional shops have cages that are the best way to air up newly installed tires. Stu
Old 10-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
alan

good pictures truckdog!!