Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
Frank Miller

Default Wheeler Dealer blows it with F1

Last night on Wheeler Dealer they fixed up a 1951 F1. For the most part the episode was not bad but there was some bad information, like the transmission being non synchro and no difference between a Ford and Mercury engine. They mentioned the 51 and 52 heads being different but they were earlier ford heads. They put edelbrock heads and a 4 barrel carb on it but did not address the distributor. Don't get me going on the auto trans.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #2
scooder

Default Re: Wheeler Dealer blows it with F1

If that's the English wheeler dealer lot, pair of prats, wouldn't know if there arse was punched, bored or countersunk.
Their programs are always full of misinformation.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
rockfla

They are better off sticking to both newer and foreign stuff! Edd (that's with 2 D's...count them) is much better and more tolerable than the Idiot host, Mike.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
scooder

I agree that the host is the most punchable man ever.
For the record, no one talks like him over here that isn't a doggy dealer.
Martin.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
no difference between a Ford and Mercury engine. They mentioned the 51 and 52 heads being different but they were earlier ford heads. They put edelbrock heads and a 4 barrel carb on it but did not address the distributor. Don't get me going on the auto trans.
It was the guy they bought it from that mentioned no difference between '51 and '52 Mercury engines except the heads. (8CM-'51) (EAC-'52)
Although the engine had 8BA heads on it, isn't his statement correct?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
Mike51Merc

We can't be too nitpicky here. I get a kick out of any flathead on TV and won't complain about small details being wrong. Just look at this forum with such a great collection of Ford enthusiasts that often get things wrong.
I find that their show is one of the better and more accurate ones as far as cars and parts go. You can't expect them to know everything about every car, especially esoteric stuff like year/year differences and load-a-matic distributors. It's certainly not as bad as some of the outright crap and misinformation you see on the other "unreality" shows.

Last edited by Mike51Merc; 09-17-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
rotorwrench

It depends on whether it is early 51 or late 51 on a Mercury engine. They made the rotator valve change somewhere in mid production on the Mercury engines. The cam change also happened in there somewhere from 8CM to 1CM for the automatics. The crank also changed for automatics somewhere in there.

Most reality type programs are full of drama crap that drives me away. I've never watched the program in question so I can't comment about it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
mrtexas

The 4 speed transmission wasn't a crash box? Sure crashed on the show! Edd didn't mention new transmission mount or driveshaft for the auto.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
They are better off sticking to both newer and foreign stuff! Edd (that's with 2 D's...count them) is much better and more tolerable than the Idiot host, Mike.
Have to keep in mind that an F1 would be "foreign stuff" to them.

I don't think we can expect them to be experts on the Flathead when there are thousands of car guys in the US that couldn't identify a Flathead if it fell on their feet. I wouldn't expect an American mechanic to know the ins-and-outs of a '51 Morris Minor.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #10
Frank Miller

It is one of the better shows. I know there are more than 2 people making it. You would think they might research a bit more. Saying there were no synchros in the transmission and then trying to act the part was more than misinformation but outright lying. We're giving it up because they do less of it than others.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #11
ford38v8

I think one reason these type of shows are successful is that guys like us enjoy picking them apart, telling each other how dumb they are.
Kinda like we used to tell each other how stupid Clarabell The Clown was, while some would say that he was always smarter than Buffalo Bob.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
deuce_roadster

Hey Frank, RELAX it is a TV show! They have limited time and it isn't supposed to be a seminar on concourse judging. Did they also have incorrect valve stem caps? I would expect folks would be more concerned about taking the vehicle and instead of restoring it, making it a rat rod.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #13
Frank Miller

Hey, I laid off them not fighting over a cam and what kind of oil to use. Not to mention replacing the head bolts with studs.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #14
tubman

"Doggy Dealer"? I'm afraid that's got to be some English slang that's beyond me!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #15
Tinker

The 59T-7006 4 speed transmission is a crash box (spur cut) transmission. So they were right on that one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59T.jpg (51.5 KB, 496 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 09-17-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #16
Tim Ayers

In my opinion, I think most of the"reality" car shows are rubbish. I use to like to watch them, but there more productive things to be doing with my time.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #17
r_reed

i enjoy the show for what it is. i like edd, who actually repairs/replaces things rather than ordering all new. i'm not sure about their accounting. they'll buy the car, take the cost of the car and all the parts and outside services, sell the car and report their often modest profit. how about poor edd, working for a few weeks on the car. they never report any cost of edd's labor. guess they get paid for doing the show? dick .
East Glenville NY
r_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #18
Tinker

^^^ Ya that always cracks me up. Edd ain't living in the back of the garage, that's for sure. Its a fairly large production. From show runners, producers, edit, camera, sound... all getting paid from that car sale!!!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #19
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Doggy Dealer"? I'm afraid that's got to be some English slang that's beyond me!
Tub,
That's was ment to be dodgy, dodgy car dealer. Only folk I've come across that talk like him are dodgy car dealers.
Edd is a car guy, he does get dragged down by that Mike idiot occasionally though. My earlier comment was unfair to Edd, sorry Edd. The program is less full of made up drama than most of these programs. It could be so much better with a bit of research, if your doing a program about one car/truck, just do some research. And don't lie about stuff either.
They tidied up a Porsche (can't remember the numbers) one time, told us about the decals on the side that say Porsche are really expensive, so they had um made by a sign printers for much less $'s. At the end of the program, the bit where they sell the car, that Mike tit actually told the punter "genuine Porsche decals" !!!!
So,
Get rid of Mike, that would probably get rid of the "truth" issues, and would make it so much more watchable. Don't hide the Labour cost, would help those that have to pay someone to do it. And do some research.
Martin.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #20
tubman

Ahh! I get it; that makes sense. I will admit I occasionally watch the show, and have the same opinion as most here. Mike is a "Doggy Dealer" (that fits quite well, doesn't it!), while I like Edd. He fixes things and generally explains pretty well just what he's doing. I agree with Dick (above) about the accounting aspects of the show. If Edd doesn't eat and sleeps in the back seat of whatever he's working on, they may just squeak by.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote