Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
30six

Default Locating peep mirror on door

I have a 39 std. coupe and want to place peep mirror in correct location on doors. Is there a measurement or template to locate?

Thanks!
30six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Locating peep mirror on door

I have the 4 inch convex peep mirrors on both sides of my '38 coupe and love 'em. Mine are placed at the top of the doors just forward of the driver position. They need to be placed, obviously, where the driver can see them easily.

The rounded side of the Ford car won't allow vision behind the car with the short arms of the peep mirrors. They have to be set to give vision in the blind spots in the lanes beside you. The rear view mirror is your view to the rear of the car.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Vic Piano

The correct location is determined by the position of the driver behind the wheel. Everyone is different and where you sit will dictate the position of the mirror, there is no particular position, its what ever works best for you.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30six View Post
I have a 39 std. coupe and want to place peep mirror in correct location on doors. Is there a measurement or template to locate?

Thanks!
By the inference of your question "... the correct location" I'm thinking you want more than a simple "whatever works for the driver" kind of answer. Yes? If so, I'll look through my Ford service letters. I am quite certain I have seen a recommended location for these type mirrors. Ford did not arbitrarily fasten them to the door(s).
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
hotrodfreak

I agree with previous posts for placement and highly recommend 4" peeps NOT 3".
hotrodfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Vic Piano

To my knowledge (and I don't make any inference that I'm an expert) but I don't think Ford offered "peep mirrors”, except possibly as a dealer installed accessory. It does stand to reason however that the mirrors would only be effective if place on the door in such a way that the driver could use it... Case in point, a 5’4” woman would need the mirror placed differently then a 6'2" man... There is no way Ford could (or would) suggest a specific location for placement of the mirror additionally, the "peep mirror" is not designed to be permanently affixed to the door (so it can be adjusted for different drivers)... Again, put it where you can use it!

Last edited by Vic Piano; 08-10-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Vic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
PeteVS

I've bought a couple of peep mirrors and I'm disappointed with the "C" shaped piece that acts as a clamp on the door. Tighten up the first screw, tighten up the second screw and the first screw is loose. Retighten the first screw and the second is loose. Repeat once or twice and the "C" piece is opened up into a "V" piece. Worthless. Maybe it's just with the ones I bought?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I've bought a couple of peep mirrors and I'm disappointed with the "C" shaped piece that acts as a clamp on the door. Tighten up the first screw, tighten up the second screw and the first screw is loose. Retighten the first screw and the second is loose. Repeat once or twice and the "C" piece is opened up into a "V" piece. Worthless. Maybe it's just with the ones I bought?
The mirrors I bought had a rubber pad to protect the paint on the outside surface. I tightened the set screws until the pad was bulging and didn't notice the clamping section giving way. I don't remember where I got mine but the field of view is expanded just enough to be helpful, not nearly as severe as the stick-on kind.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
To my knowledge (and I don't make any inference that I'm an expert) but I don't think Ford offered "peep mirrors”, except possibly as a dealer installed accessory. It does stand to reason however that the mirrors would only be effective if place on the door in such a way that the driver could use it... Case in point, a 5’4” woman would need the mirror placed differently then a 6'2" man... There is no way Ford could (or would) suggest a specific location for placement of the mirror additionally, the "peep mirror" is not designed to be permanently affixed to the door (so it can be adjusted for different drivers)... Again, put it where you can use it!
I have corresponded with 30-six and he in fact desires to know where Ford placed the mirror on the door. Pretty much what I deduced by taking the time to read his question.
Peep mirrors (78-18414) were a factory authorized accessory. The authentic mirrors were designed to be permanently attached to the door. Two holes were drilled through the upper door flange for this purpose.
To suggest that a person (man or woman) of 5'4" would need the mirror located differently than a person (again, a man or woman) of 6'2" is ridiculous to say the least.
I could explain the mathematics if desired.
However, to make it is simple as possible I'll pose a question here... now please, think before responding this time..."are the mirrors placed in different spots on new vehicles as you suggest for persons of different heights?
30six: I am still searching my literature. I know I have a template from Ford for what you are seeking. I just need to find it.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
Clem Clement

I've seen then on the upper edge of the drivers door. I dunno how good they are there.

Last edited by Clem Clement; 08-12-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
ford38v8

From the '38-'39 Ford Book
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peep Mirror 1.jpg (61.6 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
From the '38-'39 Ford Book
Alan, You rule! I have been searching through my Ford literature and never gave a thought to look in that book.
I appreciate your effort as I am certain 30six will as well.
Mike
Old 08-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
40cpe

I think it is notable that the instructions say "When no ventilating wings are used install in position to suit driver of the car".

I observed when installing mine that if the mirror is closer to the driver the image is larger (duh), but installation point should take into consideration ease of seeing the mirror AND viewing the right side mirror. That optimum point to me was 29" from the rear of the 2door/club coupe door, which is about 5" more than the "spec".
Old 08-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
Vic Piano

I think it is notable that the instructions say "When no ventilating wings are used install in position to suit driver of the car".

There you go Kube... how does it feel to be wrong again, It’s even printed in the Ford instillation instructions, go back and look at Alan's post, and read it this time. I guess you think Ford is ridiculous... I don't concern myself with "peep mirrors", (even stated I wasn't an expert on the subject although I have had experience with them on several
TuDor Sedans I owned previously) as I drive mostly convertibles. Oh, by the way, "new Cars" have adjustable seats (up & down, Forward & back, some are even programmable, to adjust to each different driver, as well as electric adjustable rear view mirrors, to compensate for a persons size and the way they sit behind the wheel) Just a few options that Ford did not offer in '39. Want me to explain the math...? I'll leave you with these words of wisdom... The best view of you would be in my rearview mirror, peep or otherwise. Have a nice day.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
30six

Thanks for the drawing. I would have mounted in front of window.
30six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
...There is no way Ford could (or would) suggest a specific location for placement of the mirror additionally, the "peep mirror" is not designed to be permanently affixed to the door...
Of course, Vic is always right even when he's wrong. Don't bother to ask him, he never misses the opportunity to tell you.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
Vic Piano

Coopman and Alan, It’s so nice to hear from you both I trust you are doing well and it's nice to know that you are still following me here on the FordBarn. In response to you both, not only can I read, but my comprehension level is more then sufficient . If you read my post in response to the original question, you will note that I made reference to the fact that the positioning of the "peep mirror" should be to the best advantage of the driver, (a fact that is also stated in the drawing that Alan posted). I even made mention of Alan’s post (and not in a derogatory way) Once again, I did not draw the sward from the scabbard, nor did I suggest that my way was the only way to position the “peep mirror”. I will say that I was surprised to see that Ford actually offered a “peep mirror”, in addition to or in place of the hinge mounted rearview mirrors(as I've said before, I learn something new every day). I also stated that my experience with “peep mirrors” was limited to the two Tudor Sedans that I owned. As for math, Kube brought that into the conversation, not me. If you want to attack me, you would do well to fully read and attempt to fully comprehend all relevant post before you take a stab at me. One last question to you Coopman, and I do hope it is the last! Have you ever been behind the wheel and tried to adjust a “peep mirror” that was placed too far to the rear or front of the door, where the available seat adjustment could not effectively compensate for the misplacement, not enabling you to comfortably reach the pedals, steering wheel, dash mounted controls, etc.? There is no substitute for actual driving experience; Those of us who spend more time driving our Flatheads are acuity aware of the proper placement of “peep mirrors”, to obtain maximum visibility. Maybe thats another reason I like to drive Convertibles, Hope you both have a nice day. I think I'll go for a drive.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
flatjack9

Just to add my two cents, I find the hinge pin mirrors to be far better then the peep mirrors. I also know hinge pins are not easy to remove.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote