Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Turbo26T

Default B Pillar question

'30 Coupe (45B) Ready to install B pillar and need to know how much gap to leave between the inner part of the door shell ( at door lock area) and B pillar. I'm using full length Brookville subrails that are not drilled ,so I have no original reference holes .
Also , how much should the outer door skin overlap the B pillar.

Thanks ,
Stan
Turbo26T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Keith True

Default Re: B Pillar question

I think what you need to know is the measurement between the A pillar and B pillar.If your doors or hinges are off or bent just a little bit and you set the gap going by the door position,you could easily rivet your body together in the wrong position.If you fit the body to YOUR door and hinges,and something is off,everything from there back will be out of whack,Running board fit,rear fender fit,splash apron fit,roof fit,interior panels,etc.I'm not near my coupe right now,but I will measure it when I go out to reset the mouse traps after lunch.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
100IH

Turbo, go to fordgarage.com . Vince was on this forum for a long time. Might take a while to find the part about his coupe project, You won't be sorry.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Bob C

Here is a link to what you want on Vince's site. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/bodymeasurements.htm
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
Turbo26T

Thanks for all the replies and I'm aware of all the A to B dimensions , panel fitment issues ,etc.
I just need the "normal" gap on the door shell to B pillar. Not trying to start a controversy ,just need the gap dimensions.
Thanks , I appreciate it
Stan
Old 10-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
Turbo26T

Let me attack this from another angle....What is the measurement from the face of A pillar to the opposing face of the B pillar, measured along the surface of the subrail
I see where Vince is coming up with 26 7/8" by the way he measures the opening from the cowl return to the B pillar .....I am in no way arguing against his method , or any advice offered so far...I'm just trying to verify some measurements before I finalize the placement of the B pillar...
Thanks for all the help... I do appreciate it.
Stan
Old 10-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
Keith True

Vince's picture does give you the measurement you are asking for.I think what is throwing you off are those two vertical lines,the ones marked C and D.Those are not the actual body,those are just his lines pointing out his measurements.If they had little arrowheads on the ends of them the message would probably jump out at you.His picture is from A pillar face to B pillar face.Actual measurement on mine is just a hair under 27,top,middle,and bottom.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote