Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
DeBordEngineMan

Default Welded wheel studs? Safe?

Hey guys going through my brakes a little better and putting new front and rear wheel bearings in, my question is that I noticed that on my hubs that all my wheel studs are welded to hub I think that they are suppose to be pressed in. I have been driving it this way and the hubs are welded very good a quality weld job, is this safe? This is just a driver car so no big deal on the looks just want to be safe. It looks like that this is a old weld and is holding good, just don't know if it is safe. Thanks Robert DeBord
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Welded wheel studs? Safe?

I do not like to see welded wheel studs BUT done properly, it is probably OK.

It sounds like it would be a real job to remove them and if you did, you may find the holes are such, new studs would not press in properly. I believe to install studs properly in Model A Hubs, you have to use a GOOD swedging tool and a GOOD Press. Most Home Shops do not have a press big enough.

If the welds look good, I would be inclined to leave them.

Just My Opinion,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
pat in Santa Cruz

As Chris said, if they're good welds, leave it until you find a crack or the drums wear out. The hubs are toast now. Forget about using them with new drums when the time arrives. Keep an eye out for good hubs to use when the present system finally wears out.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
Geo. H

I know a guy who about lost a wheel on a mountain road due to welded studs. Ask yourself why Henry used swedging when welding is quicker and easier. it's your life.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
john charlton

If it is a neat ring weld around the edge of the stud they will be just fine. If the stud end is buried in weld I would not use the hub.Excessive heat in that area can compromise stud and hub strength.I would bet that a previous owner detected looseness so secured the studs.The nightmare scenario being if the stud/swage connection fails completely and a lug nut is stiff you cannot remove the road wheel as the stud rotates in the hub.You then have to pull the hub but cannot get a hub puller on.If the hub wont budge (most likely) you then have to split the lug nut without damaging the wheel .A neat ring weld prevents that.If you do need a replacement hub this most excellent site will advise you,there are pitfalls in that area also.

John in sunny but heavy rain on the way my lawn will be pleased England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
DeBordEngineMan

Thanks guys for the comments I have to admit I don't like the welds either but right now I will have to go with that route all of the other hubs are the same way maybe later on will replace with new hubs but for now I can live with them looks like they have been on the car for some time so I think they will do for now, thanks Robert DeBord
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote