Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Dusty

Default Amature “A” mechanic pulls another one off

Well the transplant of the new and improved modern Bendex in my ole starter was a complete success and I am now ready for another jubilant weekend of Model Aing (is that a word?) Armed with the suggestions I received here I had very little trouble in reinstalling the starter, in fact with the proper angle it just fell into place.
It now starts quieter than I can ever recall, so my apprenticeship in the art of Model A repair continues. Who knows maybe someday I will be able to provide my vast expertise here to all the newbies…..ah who am I kidding, I will just go back to my ‘I hope nothing breaks this weekend “mode

Still having fun
dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Default Re: Amature “A” mechanic pulls another one off

Dusty,that is to nice of a model A to set with mechanical problems.Glad to here all went well.I have been running a modern bendex for several yrs now and really like it.Enjoy your A.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Baskin III Pa. View Post
Dusty,that is to nice of a model A to set with mechanical problems.Glad to here all went well.I have been running a modern bendex for several yrs now and really like it.Enjoy your A.
Thank you sir but I do drive the wheels off it. Coming up on 4000 miles sense last September and keep in mind we had a heck of a winter here so in sat from November to April.

dusty
Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Patrick L.

Just keep getting your hands greasy and before you know it you'll be one of our 'experts'.. Its fun to fix things yourself, isn't it?? 4000 mi since Sept ?? WOW, you're a drivin' son of a gun !! OBTW, I like those colors..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Bruce

As to Patrick's comment ... in certain circles, which would include 99% of everybody's circles, YOU ARE ALREADY THE "A" EXPERT!! That comes with some degree of responsibility but, like my friend who can tell you who won the '70 World series in how many games and who pitched the no-hitter, you have very little risk of being found out!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Just keep getting your hands greasy and before you know it you'll be one of our 'experts'.. Its fun to fix things yourself, isn't it?? 4000 mi since Sept ?? WOW, you're a drivin' son of a gun !! OBTW, I like those colors..
I have a long way to go and may never get there however I have learned a lot sense ownership in September and again you can’t beat having a team of Model A scholars at your finger tips. For the most part of my life especially my younger years I despised working on anything mechanical because it usually ended in failure. But I now must admit I am having as much fun fixing it as I do driving and showing the car.

Yes there is a great amount of satisfaction in getting the “A” running again after a repair…you should have seen the smile on my face when the starter worked flawlessly and the engine fire right up. Now as for running the wheels off it I just can’t help myself, it is a blast getting from point A to point B in an 80 year old car. It has not at all lost its charm. BTW I have about 300 miles scheduled for this weekend (assuming nothing breaks) with two shows and a modest tour with the local “A” club. Hmmmm that reminds me,time to buy oil again

Cut my grass today so that I can play this weekend.
dusty