Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
OHV DeLuxe

Default Picked up some more early Ford tools.

Picked up a KRW engine stand i`ve been waiting for for quite some time.
With it i got a bunch of other tools as a surprise. One very nice surprise was a Snap-on ratchet type spring spreader with different length attachments for different years. it looks like it should do the job very well. does anyone on here have any experience with this type?
Also in the picture are a few pullers for model A pinions, V8 pinions, crank gears, rear hubs.
But two tools which i find interresting among the small ones is the long tool closest to the camera, which is a All-Power valve guide keeper puller of interesting design with an excentric serrated wheel with lever and the KRW valve assembly puller, which looks to be of huge help, since it pulls out the entire deal by the valve hat and straight up. any experienses with these two?
One last tool which i cannot find in my book is KRW S-205 with T-handle.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 037.jpg (38.7 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 035.jpg (44.9 KB, 245 views)
OHV DeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Gary in La.

Default Re: Picked up some more early Ford tools.

The S-205 is a V8-60 valve guide carbon remover.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Enbloc

I've got a complete Snap-On spring spreader. It is a ratchet type like yours but much simpler more basic ratchet. I'll see if I've got a picture of it.

Mine works great but I find you have to keep it clean and well greased otherwise its differcult to move the ratchet handle because of the friction generated by the spring when in use.
Enbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
trainguy

Great score!!!!Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
rotorwrench

The ALL POWER horse shoe clip removal tool works very well. I have no experience with the KRW valve puller. The All Power valve assembly driver is also a good one to find to go with the clip puller. The KD valve assembly puller works well too and they are still around in good numbers.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-16-2013 at 07:42 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
OHV DeLuxe

Thanks guys! So that is what that tool does! I bet i will not wear that one out. Enbloc: from what i just found out on the internet, seems like the earlier ones have open style ratchets, and one earlier type i found had a forged big C to clear the model A differential.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
OHV DeLuxe

Rotorwrench, how excactly is it that horse shoe clip remover work? Does it clamp to the tab as you aply more force? Is the smaller lever for release when it's out?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

That kind has a knurled roller with eccentric axle to grip the tab...as you pull, the roller gets tighter against the tab. Lever is to help get it onto the tab.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
OHV DeLuxe

Thanks Bruce! That is kinda what i pictured or close to it. Looks like it stops against the intake manifold lip/port casting part of the block and pry them out with leverage. Will mess up a few clips i'm sure.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV DeLuxe View Post
Rotorwrench, how excactly is it that horse shoe clip remover work? Does it clamp to the tab as you aply more force? Is the smaller lever for release when it's out?

Correct. I have both this took and the guide remover. It works like a slide hammer and truly uses brute force to pop the guide out.

One guide shot across my garage after a few extra hard whacks with the guide remover.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Enbloc

Quote:
Enbloc: from what i just found out on the internet, seems like the earlier ones have open style ratchets, and one earlier type i found had a forged big C to clear the model A differential.
Mines the early one with the big C and open ratchet. Same as the one below.

Enbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
OHV DeLuxe

Sounds like the slide hammer works well since the parts are flying across the room.. the puller i got this weekend it almost in the middle just above the clip remover and is a sort of a regular screw puller which rests on the top deck and grabs the valve hat and pulls it straight out by threads and into the drum outer shell. It looks sturdy and well thought out. KRW SVM-663-A.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
OHV DeLuxe

Nice spring spreader! Is that adaptable in lenght also? After a quick check in the barn it looks like the one i found is made for front 1909-48 and rear 1932-48.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
larrys40

Good finds..... the SVM valve puller is a great piece once the keeper is out. The All-Power horseshoe remover is missing the top knob on the long shaft but it can be replaced or used as is. The KD valve remover ( one with knobs looks bent but can be put back in place. The spring spreader looks great. I have one of the horseshoe snap on units.. and KRW with adapters. They all work wonderfully. The large cone is one of the early hub removers, primarily for "A" . the 6306 is a crank gear puller... not a hub puller in case you weren't aware... as is the octagonal unit which is the early Model a pinion gear puller. The 2nd one is missing the octagonal sleeve.
larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Picked up a KRW engine stand i`ve been waiting for for quite some time.
With it i got a bunch of other tools as a surprise. One very nice surprise was a Snap-on ratchet type spring spreader with different length attachments for different years. it looks like it should do the job very well. does anyone on here have any experience with this type?
Also in the picture are a few pullers for model A pinions, V8 pinions, crank gears, rear hubs.
But two tools which i find interresting among the small ones is the long tool closest to the camera, which is a All-Power valve guide keeper puller of interesting design with an excentric serrated wheel with lever and the KRW valve assembly puller, which looks to be of huge help, since it pulls out the entire deal by the valve hat and straight up. any experienses with these two?
One last tool which i cannot find in my book is KRW S-205 with T-handle.

Thanks!
The top left tool with the T handle looks like a valve grinder pilot, it centers in the lifter bore and the guide bore. One of my valve grinder sets is a Black and Decker, has that type of pilot. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
OHV DeLuxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Good finds..... the SVM valve puller is a great piece once the keeper is out. The All-Power horseshoe remover is missing the top knob on the long shaft but it can be replaced or used as is. The KD valve remover ( one with knobs looks bent but can be put back in place. The spring spreader looks great. I have one of the horseshoe snap on units.. and KRW with adapters. They all work wonderfully. The large cone is one of the early hub removers, primarily for "A" . the 6306 is a crank gear puller... not a hub puller in case you weren't aware... as is the octagonal unit which is the early Model a pinion gear puller. The 2nd one is missing the octagonal sleeve.
larry Shepard
Thanks everybody! i love finding tools like this and having friends helping out on gathering the tools is great. i hope to convert an old wodden cabinet into a KRW and European equiliant VLC storage/display. i have already lent out some of my tools a couple of times. Most popular is the valve bar, timing fixture and the 156 Hub puller. Nice to help friends out. as some of these tools are a bit scarce in Norway so i want to help out like that.

Larry, the Two model A Pinion pullers are both complete and neither of them has an Octagonal ring actually even though my books shows that type, these just have serrated rings similar to the 156 hub pullers. One is KRW the other is VLC, both has A-308 part number.
Yeah seems the nature of the curved valve guide punches of the C design tend to bend over time, even the forged and heat treated.

Last edited by OHV DeLuxe; 12-17-2013 at 10:46 AM.