Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2018, 11:33 PM   #1
jfuqua

Default 1936 Ford truck restoration resources

I just purchased a 1936 Ford 1/2 ton pickup. This is my first rebuild. I need links to resources/parts. Complete body is intact except a few minor items. I have an engine and automatic transmission.

Here are the items I will need (off the top of my head).

1. All interior(seat, instruments, headliner, floor pan, door panels, window cranks, door handles, etc.)
2. Front grill and ornament (I have the exterior part, I just need the chrome part)
3. Lights/indicators
4. New brake setup (disc)
5. Gas tank/filler
6. Wheels and hub caps
7. All glass trim/moldings
8. Windshield wipers
9. Running boards
10. Steering column with column shift and steering wheel
11. Bumpers
12. all door moldings

I will post a picture as soon as possible.
jfuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
oldandtired

Default Re: 1936 Ford truck restoration resources

If possible, I would suggest that you look at an original 36 pickup and then decide what exact modifications you want from the original in order to better help you. Some of the things on your list are available aftermarket like the running boards, under seat pan, and I think they still make the aftermarket bumpers. Some people like the OEM pickup type front bumper and some like the "smiley" front bumper.If you want a column mounted automatic you are looking at aftermarket as well as changing out how the lights are turned on and off and if the column for an automatic has an ignition switch and lock, how the vehicle is started. The emergency brake is floor mounted on a 36 so perhaps a floor shift kit for the automatic would be a lot simpler. If going with disc brakes, you may want to consider eliminating the wide five wheel setup.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
36Bill

Most of us put our location. Look for someone that is near you and send them a message, they will help if they can.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
jfuqua

Thanks guys. I added my location to my profile. I want to try and keep it as original look as possible. The truck was already modified for a chevy engine, and the person I bought it from gave me a completely rebuilt 1957 Chevy 283 with automatic transmission.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
jfuqua

Also, I am fine with aftermarket, as long as it looks close to original.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
RalphM

I see your in SE Houston area, have you checked out Bruce’s Hot Rod shop in Spring, TX?
They do a lot of custom work like you are planning, but specialize in old school hot rods. I’m sure they can point you in the right direction.
If nothing else swing by for a tour, the guys there gave me a personalized tour of the shop, it was great!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
rotorwrench

The 1935 & 36 commercials are a challenge due to the short span of production. The 1937 was a 1-year only so it is even more difficult to source parts for. The Early Ford V8 Club has yet to publish a book on the 35/36 commercials but they will eventually. A person needs to purchase all of the old parts books to find the part numbers for missing parts. There may be some cross over parts to the passenger cars since they share the same frame & running gear but only the owners can tell you for sure about all the other stuff without researching it yourself.

A person may be able to use a later model commercial steering column as a substitute for the OEM. It would likely have the roller sector type Gemmer II type steering box which is a decent replacement and looks appropriate.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
TJ

If you want a column shift that looks close to original you can do one of two things; adapt a 1940-1948 Ford column shift from a passenger car or use an early automatic column from an F-100 pickup or Econoline van. Those columns will also give you the shift indicator and the lockout for park and a neutral safety switch at the bottom of the column..
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
jfuqua

TJ - what do you mean by early F-100? Would it be better to put the shifter on the floor?

rotorwrench - Good idea on trying to find a parts book.

RalphM - I will check them out. I'm doing all the work myself except for body paint. I'am purchasing a welder this week. :-)
Old 09-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
Charlie Stephens

You might want to consider the reproduction Lincoln Bendix brakes as an option to the discs.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #11
jfuqua

Some pictures:

Last edited by jfuqua; 09-30-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #12
jfuqua

Just fixed the picture post. Thanks Charlie, not familiar with this forum software.

Last edited by jfuqua; 09-30-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #13
Charlie Stephens

It would sure make it easier if you posted your photos directly to fordbarn instead the way you are doing it. With my computer I have to open each image to see it. Also time has shown images posted on off site servers tend to disappear.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
rotorwrench

Many of the 35/36 pickups I've seen were in worse shape than that one. It's definitely fixable. The book you can start with is the 1928 through 48 Ford Chassis Parts Catalog or "Green Bible" as some call it. It was last updated in late 1950. It gives that latest part numbers for most assemblies but may not have all the original part numbers used in 1936. An original parts book from 1936 would get the OEM numbers for that year but the follow on 1937 version can have the running changes. Ford used body parts books for the interior and body related components but I don't have one for 1936. The earliest on I have is for 1941 & up. I've seen the 1935/36 Ford Body Parts List books but haven't looked at one yet. It states that it includes Commercial cars so it should have pickup info.

These old models are harder to find parts for but not impossible. There is still a lot of stuff out there but it takes a lot of scrounging to find it. You get that one up in decent shape and it will be one most folks don't see very often.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

One CD version has 13 books on it (if I remember correctly).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #16
oldandtired

It appears that your 36 started off as a Deluxe pickup based upon the chrome grill, and double wipers. The passenger side rear fender is missing the back of it. Passenger side rears are very difficult to find in decent condition although they are available in decent fiberglass, but the fiberglass ones are not all created equal in terms of quality. The 36 had no door moldings. The under seat pan is available reproduction. The back window molding is there, the dash rail is there, the glove box door is there. I cannot see the header panel but there should be two flat wiper motor covers with holes for the wiper motor controls. There are only two other moldings in the cab and I cannot see the inside next to the windshield frame to see if they are there. They are unique to 35 and 36. There was a pair of them on the auction site recently and may still be there along with a set of wiper motor covers. Glove box liners are available reproduction. The dash has already been modified, probably for an ash tray and the ignition switch has been moved to the dash as well. I cannot quite tell if the windshield side moldings are there in that picture. They make modern gauges that will go into the same holes as the gauges and speedometer you now have and Dakota digital among others make a gauge panel that would install over the existing dash. I do not think the factory trans cover will fit over the automatic. It looks like the wide five stuff has already been changed out. Headlight doors and other parts for the headlights are easily available. I used to have one of the wagons in the background, but the white vehicle partially shown I cannot quite place.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #17
jfuqua

Oldandtired - that white car is an MG. There was also a 1927 Pontiac in that barn.

I have all the fenders, it was in the back of the truck bed. I am only missing one running board, but I can get those.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #18
oldandtired

jfuqua...The running boards are available aftermarket in steel. I believe you can get the passenger side one either with the dimple for the spare or without it if you are not going to use a factory appearing spare tire mount. Good luck with your project. I have a 37 half-ton that is a similar modification to what you are doing. I got it together back in the mid-90's and am redoing it right now. I went with Dakota Digital gauges, mine has a 350 turbo with a floor shift, electric wiper motors, put the turn signals inside the front horn projectors, and took advantage of the more horsepower to put in a/c, as well as power brakes and power steering, hinge pin mirrors on both sides, and a passenger side tail light in the rear with rear turn signals. Mine is not show quality, it is a driver, and I sometimes use it to tow my car trailer so it also has the brake relay for the trailer. I like projects like yours because you have a whole lot of options and your finished product will be what you want and even if similar to what others have done, it will be individualized. I have 3 flathead powered commercial vehicles that I may never put back on the road for various reasons, but other than laziness in not putting them back together, living in the South without a/c isn't something I enjoy anymore.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #19
JM 35 Sedan

A good resource would be communicating with folks who have already restored these 35-36 1/2 ton pu's. I was going to suggest joining the Early Ford V-8 Club and get a copy of their roster. You could look through there to see who owns these PU's, and give them a call. You will find some folks very co-operative in helping you with info.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #20
jfuqua

What gauge body metal was used back then? Ordering my welder today and want to make sure I get one that will be suitable for the project.