Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
sconnors

Default Radiator Purchase

If you were going to purchase a new radiator where would you purchase it from?

Snyder's
Tam's
Brassworks
Berg's
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
329s

Default Re: Radiator Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnors View Post
If you were going to purchase a new radiator where would you purchase it from?

Snyder's
Tam's
Brassworks
Berg's
Berg's did mine (restored an original) a few years ago and was very pleased.

Pluck
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Pickupman

You can't go wrong with a Berg's Radiator and service. Doesn't get any better.
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Vetcol

Bergs got a web address?
Vetcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
sconnors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetcol View Post
Bergs got a web address?
http://www.bergsradiator.com/
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Arlen

Bergs is best.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
Arlen

Forgot to mention. Bergs will probably need you to send a core. Little over a month ago, he was out.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I have only heard good things about Bergs. For me to do business with Bergs My guess is that I would need a radiator with good tanks and frame to be recored. this would require shipping two ways. If I purchased a new heavy duty radiator from Snyders, it would be delivered to my door in two to three days and I would only have to pay shipping one time. I have a Snyders radiator on my 31 tudor . If I needed another radiator I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Snyders or Smith and Jones. Radiators are expensive, I don't know if Bergs has recored radiators ready for shipment to be sold out right. Price would also be important. I may eventually decide to buy a radiator for a late AA truck project, I don't have a AA radiator for trade in. What are the chances that a radiator of this type would be available and at what price??? Snyders advertises prices. Does Bergs accept Visa or Master Card??? I have No doubt that Bergs is good but that is it, lots of questions otherwise.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
Tom Endy

My advice is to take an original Model A radiator to a competent radiator shop and ask then to install a radiator core that has four rows of tubes. If the shop does not speak Model A you will have to educate them about the baffle, the three wire grabbers at the bottom, and the importance of having the four mounting brakets positioned properly. The cost should be around $450-$475.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
Forgot to mention. Bergs will probably need you to send a core. Little over a month ago, he was out.
You mean tanks don't you?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Keith True

I think he means core as in one to turn in.Like a starter core,generator core,etc.When you buy a rebuilt you pay a core charge until you bring back the old one.I have a half dozen radiators full of holes I have saved.Somebody asked me why I was saving them,I just said good for cores.When they pointed out the cores were full of holes I realized that as a non-mechanic they didn't know what I was talking about.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I think he means core as in one to turn in.Like a starter core,generator core,etc.When you buy a rebuilt you pay a core charge until you bring back the old one.I have a half dozen radiators full of holes I have saved.Somebody asked me why I was saving them,I just said good for cores.When they pointed out the cores were full of holes I realized that as a non-mechanic they didn't know what I was talking about.
If you are worried about shipping costs, The last time I talked to Gary I was told that if I sent him only the side straps & upper & lower tanks that were good, it was worth $100.00 credit on a re-core.. That was two years ago & may have changed ??.. To me, "EITHER WAY" you get a better radiator than ALL the rest being sold, "AND IT FITS" !!!..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
spdway1

Bergs.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

do a search there are plenty of threads that overwhelmingly recommend bergs
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I have, --and do use Bergs quite a bit on Model-A & T radiators but to throw a "for what its worth" out there, Gery does not offer a 'dimpled-fin' core as was original on 1930-1931 Model-As. Is that little feature important? You can be the judge & jury. For whatever reason, Henry did spend the money to have that detail added to the fins so someone saw the importance.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
ctlikon0712

Brent, does anybody offer that style core? Or is there a tool one could make to correctly duplicate the dimpled fin?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
Blessyouboys

I have a Brassworks radiator that I've been very pleased with. Dimpled fins and all.
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

Bergs flat tube 30-31 radiator is $550.00 , I wonder how it compares to Snyders 88 tubes ,eight fins per inch , heavy duty radiator that sells for $585.00 ??? I really don't care if they don't have the dimples in the fins. My cars are all drivers and cooling is more important than being an exact replica of the original. The radiator from Snyders really cools my stock 31 tudor good. After looking at the web site and all of the good things That I hear about Bergs, I would certainly consider buying a radiator from them.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Bergs flat tube 30-31 radiator is $550.00 , I wonder how it compares to Snyders 88 tubes ,eight fins per inch , heavy duty radiator that sells for $585.00 ??? I really don't care if they don't have the dimples in the fins. My cars are all drivers and cooling is more important than being an exact replica of the original. The radiator from Snyders really cools my stock 31 tudor good. After looking at the web site and all of the good things That I hear about Bergs, I would certainly consider buying a radiator from them.
Interesting question. Maybe someone can do an accurate scientific study some day to compare the two. Again, my experiences are Gery Bergbower is an awesome individual to do business with, and my experiences (I have purchased 4 radiators from him this year to date) are that his radiators are a quality piece. I guess my point was/is the question for some to answer is the dimple-fin core is not necessarily there for "looks" (authenticity) but for efficiency of cooling, so some need to do their own homework to see if that added feature is necessary for their "driver" Model-A.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
329s

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;473974]Interesting question. Maybe someone can do an accurate scientific study some day to compare the two. Again, my experiences are Gery Bergbower is an awesome individual to do business with, and my experiences (I have purchased 4 radiators from him this year to date) are that his radiators are a quality piece. I guess my point was/is the question for some to answer is the dimple-fin core is not necessarily there for "looks" (authenticity) but for efficiency of cooling, so some need to do their own homework to see if that added feature is necessary for their "driver" Model-A.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but didn't Marco make some sort of tool to do the dimpling on the fins???

Pluck
329s is offline   Reply With Quote