Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
Merc Cruzer

Default Powered speakers for 53' Mercury

I have been working on an original radio for a 1953 Mercury that suffers from lack of volume. I have checked all the tubes on a tube tester and they all are good. This radio has a wire (that appears to be original to the radio) coming from the back of the radio that is hot (6V) when the radio is turned on. If I remember correctly some of the speakers in that era were not permeate magnets but rather electro-magnets that required a power source to amplify the radio volume signal. Does any one remember these speakers? Does anyone have a picture of that speaker? Any insight would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8617.jpg (38.0 KB, 17 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Powered speakers for 53' Mercury

Either the speaker wire coils or audio amplifier output are shot. Probably the speaker coils. The audio output should be able to drive permanent magnet 8-16 ohm speakers. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:14 AM   #3
flatheadmurre

The speaker with a coil winding was used as a Chokecoil for the power supply in the radio.
Itīs enough that either a coupling cap or one of the resistors is bad to give you a lower amplifiction.
Amplification of the tube is set by 3 resistors/output transformer any being of from age changes it.
And the bypass capacitor being dried out is also a suspect.
A Schmatic so you can measure values and an oscilloscope is you best friend
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
The speaker with a coil winding was used as a Chokecoil for the power supply in the radio.
Itīs enough that either a coupling cap or one of the resistors is bad to give you a lower amplifiction.
Amplification of the tube is set by 3 resistors/output transformer any being of from age changes it.
And the bypass capacitor being dried out is also a suspect.
A Schmatic so you can measure values and an oscilloscope is you best friend
I have been using this schmatic. One other point of interest is that I have installed an aux input, that is used with a MPOW (bluetooth) for music from a cell phone. When that is used there is no issue with volume, in fact it works great at only half volume.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7692.jpg (58.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8618.jpg (39.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Sorry, I don't have a solution for your problem. Out of curiosity, was the optional rear seat speaker offered for the convertible?
I know the sedans had it mounted in the package tray. If offered in the convertible where was it mounted?
Old 11-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Sorry, I don't have a solution for your problem. Out of curiosity, was the optional rear seat speaker offered for the convertible?
I know the sedans had it mounted in the package tray. If offered in the convertible where was it mounted?
"was the optional rear seat speaker offered for the convertible?" No, no place to mount it. I suppose you could mount a speaker in bottom of the convertible top well. Probably, be good sound with the top up ....but top down would be a bit muffled.

I always thought the rear window wiper was a cool option on the 52's and 53's. Not compatible with the plastic window. No rear window defroster either. But with the rear window unzipped and the side windows down, the flow through ventilation is great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6761.jpg (56.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6769.jpg (42.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
"was the optional rear seat speaker offered for the convertible?" No, no place to mount it. I suppose you could mount a speaker in bottom of the convertible top well. Probably, be good sound with the top up ....but top down would be a bit muffled.

I always thought the rear window wiper was a cool option on the 52's and 53's. Not compatible with the plastic window. No rear window defroster either. But with the rear window unzipped and the side windows down, the flow through ventilation is great.
Kinda' thought that it wasn't.
Even the optional wiper and rear defrosters probably didn't entice many to spend the extra few bucks (haven't seen many of them)
My '51 did not come with the rear seat speaker but oddly enough it had the speaker wire installed in the rear wiring harness along with it's associated plugs.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Stenny

If you check your owners manual, it lists options for that year including the rear speaker for closed cars and a speaker that was removeable and wired to the radio set for remote listening (as I recall it shows one on a picnic table). From what I remember, this was the optional rear seat speaker for the convertible. It was a plastic box with a speaker mounted inside. They were quite rare when new and probably nonexistent today.
Stenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #9
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenny View Post
If you check your owners manual, it lists options for that year including the rear speaker for closed cars and a speaker that was removeable and wired to the radio set for remote listening (as I recall it shows one on a picnic table). From what I remember, this was the optional rear seat speaker for the convertible. It was a plastic box with a speaker mounted inside. They were quite rare when new and probably nonexistent today.
My brochure shows.....I would love to see the one your are referring to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6759.jpg (45.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6754.jpg (48.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 11-13-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
Stenny

I'll go thru my files and try to get a photo.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #11
Kurt in NJ

have you tried to adjust the antenna trimming capacitor---a little screw usually near the antenna lead, with am car radio it makes all the difference in reception
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #12
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
have you tried to adjust the antenna trimming capacitor---a little screw usually near the antenna lead, with am car radio it makes all the difference in reception
Yes that did help a bit, (still not the same volume provided by the aux jack and the bluetooth connected to the phone). The loudest thing to come through the radio is static if you turn on a florescent light when the car is in the garage, or take the car out and drive under a high voltage line. Now why doesn't a radio station provide that kind of volume?

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 11-15-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #13
Stenny

Sorry gents, my memory just isn't what it used to be. I went thru some old owners manuals and there is no reference to a detachable rear speaker for '53. There is one for 1950 however and that is the one I saw in a '53 convertible many years ago. Obviously not correct for '53. Next time I'll check my references before posting.