Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Peter J

Default Still noisy

Hey Guys,
Just installed engine and rebuilt trans. Rebuilt trans. and all bearings good or replaced, shafts smooth and teeth good. Clutch smooth and quite in all gears except 3rd. It starts to growel just like the old trans. Quits when the clutch is in. Isn't their a carrier bearing in the torque tube behind the trans. that could be the cause?
Thanks as always for your input!
Pete
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Still noisy

Normally 3rd is the quietest of all as power is not transmitted thru any gears. Yes there is a Hyatt bearing in the front of the torque tube, whether that is the problem, I can't say.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Pete, let me start by asking you what weight lube did you put in the transmission?

Next, how much backlash is in the driveshaft (pinion gear to ring gear lash)? The driveshaft has an uncanny ability to transfer noise generated due to worn/loose pinion bearings. It is not too difficulr to remove the driver's side axle housing along with the carrier assy. and shake the pinion gear to see if it is loose.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
bogdonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Hey Guys,
Just installed engine and rebuilt trans. Rebuilt trans. and all bearings good or replaced, shafts smooth and teeth good. Clutch smooth and quite in all gears except 3rd. It starts to growel just like the old trans. Quits when the clutch is in. Isn't their a carrier bearing in the torque tube behind the trans. that could be the cause?
Thanks as always for your input!
Pete

We have had this issue since we put in our rebuilt engine... currently we are pulling the rear end to get the tranny out and to look at all the bearings inside... Our third gear makes the same noise.. no noise is 1st or 2nd... almost like a rubbing growl..hard to explain.... goes away with clutch in... we had a thread on this and people asked if the tranny and engine were aligned up and we had the spacers put in... all checked out correct... Friday we will have the tranny out and taking it to our expert.

let me know if you find the issue

Justin
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
bogdonj

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9939

here was my thread way back! drove the car for over a year and the noise never got worse
Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Peter J

Brent, 85W-140 gear lube. Haven't checked rear end out yet. I thought the rear end would continue making noise even with the clutch in if that was the trouble??
Justin. Your noise issue sounds just like mine. Seems independint of trans and the growel sounds like the driveshaft turning. The faster, the more intense.
Pete
Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
bogdonj

I don't notice it being more intense at high speeds.. prob because at those speeds my doors are creeking and the engine is making noise..you know, normal model A interior sounds.

my sounds like its coming from the tranny though but can driveshaft problem be heard near the tranny?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Tom Endy

When rebuilding a transmission it is prudent to alway replace the key ring looking spacer that is mounted on the main shaft just behind the roller bearing surface if it is the later shaft. Most will be found worn flat on the front side. The purpose of the spacer it to properly position the front roller bearing inside the input shaft. A worn spacer can allow the main shaft to move forward and the front end of the sliders can come in contact with the circumference inside the input shaft. It is also possible to install the front and rear oil baffles backwards and that will cause noise and contribute to wear particles in the oil.

Also if the trans housing is the early version with machined bearing stops front and back and the later oil baffles were installed they will bind up the transmission. The early oil baffles are slightly smaller than the later and the only way you can tell is to compare them, or measure the diameters if you what the values are. I keep a set of both versions handy in the shop to compare, so I know which I have. Model A suppliers only sell the later baffles.

I have also run into a problem where the front end of the main shaft bottomed out inside the input shaft. Apparently the two were made at different places and the tolerances were not considered. I always check that the main shaft with a new spacer and roller bearing installed fits inside the input shaft and turns with no binding before I install them in a trans.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
hardtimes

Pete,
Just a thot. Let's say that you did a great job on trans rebuild. If that's accurate, I'm thinking that in a 'torque tube' type driveline....whining noise can/is easily transmitted from rear to front. If all else is examined...I'd jack up and support rear axle and run in third slowly and listen to isolate whether noise is starting from rear.
One other thot...as was said, there is a driveshaft bearing near front of torque tube.
I'd lube heck out of that first to see if /how situation changes. I'm taking for granted that you checked out and copiously lubed UJOINT.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Peter J

Oh yeah. I lubed the heck out of the u-joint (packed it before installation). Tom E. I'm pretty sure the trans. is fine. Two seperate engine/trans. combos with the same noise. Got to be farther back. I'll put it up on jack stands (safely that is) and see if I can isolate the noise.
Pete
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Peter J

Well now.....I put the rear up on jackstands, fired it up, put it in 3rd and the rear end sounds like a box of rocks. No problem isolating the noise at all. No metal shavings or chips when I changed oil about a year ago. Could the ring to pinion lash make that kind of noise? I don't know. Never attempted to tear in to a real axle.
Pete
Old 02-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Yep, you might find the pinion bearings loose. There are several parts to go bad. The last one I worked on didn't have many parts that could be saved.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
columbiA

Some times the tab washer for the pinion brg adj nuts was reused & wouldnt always keep the nuts from backing off.If left for very long, the rear end will be trashed.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
Peter J

Hopefully it's just adjustment and bearings, since those gears are so damned expensive. Any good used gear sets out there in case that's the problem?
By the way, while up on jacks, I got some up and down movement on the right axle.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Hopefully it's just adjustment and bearings, since those gears are so damned expensive. Any good used gear sets out there in case that's the problem?
By the way, while up on jacks, I got some up and down movement on the right axle.
Is that with the hub ON, or is it with the hub OFF?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
bogdonj

If it is the rear end, why wouldn't you hear it in all gears? Why just 3rd gear?

Last edited by bogdonj; 02-10-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #17
Brian T

Hello Peter,
Was this growl noise there prior to putting in the rebuilt engine and transmission, was the clutch disc replaced?.
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

Brian T: se post #11.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
Peter J

Tom W. I had up/down play with the wheel on but only on the right side.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Tom W. I had up/down play with the wheel on but only on the right side.
Then the bearing, hub, or race must be worn. You may find the bottom of the axle tube worn as that's where all the bearing pressure is.