Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2023, 01:28 AM   #1
Mark from Australia

Default clam shell interchangeability

I know that it's probably impossible, but can a clam shell from an early production A (multi-pieced brake cross shaft) be fitted to a post-32 transmission?
Mark from Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 11:55 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: clam shell interchangeability

Model A has six bolts and 1932-48 has four bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-4515.jpg (14.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg B-4515.jpeg (23.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Bob C; 01-06-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:59 PM   #3
Jim Brierley

Yes, with a little work. 4 of the 'A' holes need to be drilled to 3/8", and 5/16" nuts must be drilled and tapped as if you don't there isn't enough room for a socket. I did this on my '31 pickup when I installed a 'B' trans. I recommend finding a V8 clam shell that is 2-piece.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:33 PM   #4
Mark from Australia

Thanks for the advice Jim. I followed your written words, and sourced a pair of long-out-of-production B into A float-a-motor mounts, and some pedal and wishbone mounts. A friend of mine was making a centre-mount emergency brake handle mount, so he made two, and the extra was a birthday present - lucky me.

At this stage, I am wanting to stick with mechanical brakes, and rather than replace the cross-shaft, I would like to stay with the multi-piece setup ..... unless it proves impossible.

Last edited by Mark from Australia; 01-06-2023 at 09:07 PM. Reason: forget to thank Jim properly
Old 01-06-2023, 09:08 PM   #5
Mark from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Model A has six bolts and 1932-48 has four bolts.
Uh oh!!! looks like I might in Doggy doos land
Old 01-07-2023, 01:29 PM   #6
Jim Brierley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Australia View Post
Thanks for the advice Jim. I followed your written words, and sourced a pair of long-out-of-production B into A float-a-motor mounts, and some pedal and wishbone mounts. A friend of mine was making a centre-mount emergency brake handle mount, so he made two, and the extra was a birthday present - lucky me.

At this stage, I am wanting to stick with mechanical brakes, and rather than replace the cross-shaft, I would like to stay with the multi-piece setup ..... unless it proves impossible.
Mark, I'm into performance A's, so I tried mechanical brakes but didn't like them. I even put mechanical's from a '35 Ford on the rears, that was better but still not to my liking.

My '30 tudor came with float-o-motors but it had a lot of clutch chatter, so put the originals back in place, this helped but the best solution was changing to a diaphragm clutch. (what genius decided to put the 'g' in diaphragm?)
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:35 PM   #7
Mark from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I tried mechanical brakes but didn't like them.
Jim, my car is equipped with 32 front brakes, and they are a definite upgrade on the original. As they work well, it's hard to justify upgrading them to juice brakes.

There is no clutch shudder to date.

You may remember the car when it ran at the FAST time trials in 2018/2019, then modified by the then owner, fitting lowered springs, and 32-34 front axle, perch bolts, brakes, and 18" wheels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 301707410_784472066332292_8401508262616311605_n.jpg (117.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 277163371_703287857781600_8721018515989093494_n.jpg (84.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg b12.jpg (50.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-14-2023, 04:29 PM   #8
Miles in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Australia View Post

If you are using the split, two-piece cross shaft from late 1928 I would strongly recommend that you change to the one-piece cross shaft. The so-called equalizer system with the two piece cross shaft is much more difficult to adjust for proper brake operation, has a lot more wear points, and uses springs at the frame clamps that are not available anywhere that I know of. If you can source a one-piece cross shaft and the frame mounts that go with it you can use the V8 clamshell and have better mechanical brakes.
Miles in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:06 PM   #9
Mark from Australia

Thanks for that advice Miles, I am trying to source a one piece cross shaft out here, but a left hand drive one is not that common.