Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
35 Woodie

Send a message via ICQ to 35 Woodie
Default Rumors in Massachusetts

I have heard from more than one person that legislation has passed in Massachusetts requiring that all pre-1949 cars and trucks must be brought to an RMV facility to be inspected to see if they are in original condition or hot rods. Failure to bring the car in will terminate the registration.

I find this hard to believe with the thousands of pre-1949 cars that are in garages all over Massachusetts.

Is there any truth to this or am I being "taken for a ride?"

35 Woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
oldford2

Default Re: Rumors in Massachusetts

Very simple. Why don't you call the DMV and ask them???
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
35 Woodie

I thought I'd ask fellow Ford Barners first.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
37 Coupe

Isn't Big Mike from Mass? Send his tank and his buddies rigs to the capitol and see if it is true and if not to make sure it never does happen.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Mike51Merc

I hate rumors, especially internet rumors that spread a lot faster and wider than typical barbershop or fencepost rumors. Next thing ya know, somebody is going to start yelling about their "freedom" being taken away.

I could be (this is just a guess, and not another rumor) that the state is trying to enforce Antique registrations as being limited to substantially stock automobiles. Here in Pa, I know guys that were rejected for lake pipes and mag wheels. I also know other guys who photo-shopped their customizations out of the pictures so they could get antique plates.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Jason in TX

Here is what I found on Google.

http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/...pdatetext.html

Quote:
The Massachusetts House and Senate have approved House Bill 4871 that makes the registration of custom-built cars easier in Massachusetts. The Bill has now been forwarded to the Governors desk for signature.

This regulation was written with the help of many people, companies, the Governors liason, the Mass DEP and the Mass RMV. It was a truly collaborative process that will help hundreds of custom car guys, that will establish the most progressive hot rod and specialty car registration and titling laws in the country (ahead of even California). The Bill protects the environment, provides appropriate tax revenue to the State, and provides clear and unambiguous guidelines for officials and customers to follow! It is truly a win-win situation for everyone involved. The will of the people has spoken and we are excited to see Democracy in action!

Please call the Governors office to express your support of this important legislation!

Dave Smith
President

Mass Gov. Deval Patrick can be reached at:

Phone: 617.725.4005
888.870.7770 (in state)

Please call and let them know that you are in support of HB 4871. You can also complete an online e-mail form by clicking here.

SECTION 1. Chapter 90 of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after 1 section 2G the following 2 sections:- 2
Section 2H. (a) For purposes of this section, section 2I and section 33, the following 3 words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, have the following meanings:- 4
"Custom vehicle", a motor vehicle for which the year of manufacture is after 1948, for 5 which the model year is at least 25 years old and that has been altered from the manufacturer’s 6 original design or has a body constructed, in whole or in part, from non-original materials. 7
"Model year", the model year indicated on a motor vehicle’s certificate of origin or, if 8 there is no such certificate, the model year the body of such vehicle most closely resembles. 9
"Replica vehicle", a motor vehicle constructed or assembled by a non-manufacturer from 10 new or used parts that, when assembled, replicates an earlier year, make and model vehicle. 11
"Specially-constructed vehicle", a motor vehicle reconstructed or assembled by a non-12 manufacturer from new or used parts, the exterior of which does not replicate or resemble any 13 other manufactured vehicle. 14
"Street rod", a motor vehicle for which the year of manufacture is prior to 1949, and 15 which has been altered from the manufacturer’s original design or has a body constructed from 16 non-original materials. 17
(b) The registrar shall issue certificates of registration and number plates for street rods, 18 replica vehicles, specially-constructed vehicles and custom vehicles in accordance with this 19 section. The registrar may assign an appropriate registration plate to a custom vehicle, replica 20 vehicle, specially-constructed vehicle or street rod based upon the vehicle’s intended use and the 21 registration requirements under 540 CMR 2.05. 22
(c) Street rods, replica vehicles, specially-constructed vehicles and custom vehicles shall 23 not be considered antique motor cars and shall not be eligible for registration pursuant to section 24 6A. 25
(d) Replica vehicles shall be titled as the year in which the vehicle was built and the 26 make, model and year of the vehicle that is intended to be replicated. A label of "Replica" shall 27 be applied to the title and registration card. Custom vehicles and street rods shall be titled as the 28 year in which the vehicle was built and an appropriate description of the vehicle including make, 29 model and model year; provided, however, that the manufacturer's name shall continue to be 30 used as the make with a label of "street rod" or "custom vehicle" applied to the title and 31 registration card. Specially-constructed vehicles shall be titled and registered showing the make 32 as "specially constructed" and the year the vehicle was built shall be the vehicle model year. 33
Section 2I. (a) The registrar, prior to the initial registration of a custom vehicle, replica 34 vehicle, specially-constructed vehicle or street rod, may require such vehicle to undergo a 35
salvage-type inspection at a facility to be determined by the registrar to ensure that stolen parts 36 have not been included in the vehicle. 37
(b) The registrar, prior to the initial registration of a custom vehicle, replica vehicle, 38 specially-constructed vehicle or street rod, may require such vehicle to obtain a state-assigned 39 vehicle identification number, unless the registrar is satisfied that there is a clearly visible state-40 assigned vehicle identification number that was previously assigned by the commonwealth or 41 another state. 42
(c) The registrar may refuse to register or may revoke the registration of a custom 43 vehicle, replica vehicle, specially-constructed vehicle or street rod, originally built by its 44 manufacturer as a model year 1966 or later vehicle, unless such vehicle is equipped with 45 operable safety belts for all passenger positions. 46
(d) The registrar may refuse to register or may revoke the registration of a custom 47 vehicle, replica vehicle, specially constructed vehicle or street rod if the registrar determines that 48 the original manufacturer had installed an air bag or air bags in the vehicle and the current 49 version of the vehicle does not contain such air bag or air bags. 50
SECTION 2. Section 33 of said chapter 90 is hereby amended by adding the following 51 paragraph:- 52
(37) For the registration of every street rod, replica vehicle, specially constructed 53 vehicle or custom vehicle, as defined in section 2H consistent with the vehicle’s intended use and 54 the requirements of 540 CMR 2.05. 55
SECTION 3. Subsection (b) of section 142M of chapter 111 of the General Laws, as 56 appearing in the 2008 Official Edition, is hereby amended by inserting after the third paragraph 57 the following paragraph:- 58
Street rods and custom vehicles, as defined and registered pursuant to section 2H of 59 chapter 90, shall receive an emissions waiver certificate. Specially-constructed vehicles and 60 replica vehicles, as defined and registered pursuant to said section 2H of said chapter 90, and 61 registered on or before April 30, 2012, shall receive an emissions waiver certificate. Specially-62 constructed vehicles and replica vehicles, as so defined, registered after April 30, 2012 shall be 63 subject to emission control requirements based on the model year and configuration of the engine 64 installed in the specially constructed or replica vehicle, whether the engine is an original 65 equipment manufacturer’s production engine, rebuilt engine or crate engine. Regulations 66 relative to emissions compliance for replica or specially-constructed vehicles registered after 67 April 30, 2012 may establish maximum limits on the annual number of vehicle miles traveled by 68 these vehicles; provided, however, that any such limit set, shall not be set at less than 3,000 69 miles per year. If the model year of the engine installed in the specially constructed or replica 70 vehicle requires an onboard diagnostic system, the vehicle shall be subject to an onboard 71 diagnostic system emissions test applicable to the certified configuration, including any 72 exclusions or exemptions otherwise granted to that certified configuration. 73
SECTION 4. This act shall take effect April 30, 2011.

Last edited by Jason in TX; 07-20-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
35 Woodie

That's a great bill! I will have to find out if Governor Patrick ever signed it.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

I think SEMA and street rodder mag were working on something like this in many states. I think
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Jason in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 Woodie View Post
That's a great bill! I will have to find out if Governor Patrick ever signed it.

Yes, he did sign it.

Quote:
History

2010-08-19 - Signed by the Governor, Chapter 311 of the Acts of 2010
2010-08-09 - Enacted and laid before the Governor
2010-08-04 - Enacted
2010-07-31 - House concurred in the Senate amendment
2010-07-31 - Rules suspended
2010-07-31 - Read third and passed to be engrossed
2010-07-31 - Ordered to a third reading
2010-07-31 - Amended by striking out all after the enacting clause and inserting in place thereof the text contained in S2584
2010-07-31 - Read second
2010-07-31 - Rules suspended
2010-07-31 - Committee recommended ought to pass with an amendment, inserting in place thereof the text of S2584
2010-07-28 - Read; and referred to the Senate Committee on Ways and Means
2010-07-27 - Read third, amended and passed to be engrossed
2010-07-13 - Ordered to a third reading
2010-07-13 - Substituted for H4557
2010-07-12 - Recommended new draft for H4557
2010-07-12 - Reported from the committee on House Committee On Ways and Means
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
BIG MIKE

I don't need to register my tank just insure it. It does only parades and ww2 battles on privite land and is trailered to events, just remeber titles for cars jeeps etc in massachusettes came after 1963
BIG MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
peters180a/170b

Hello BIG MIKE ,DO you know Rayond at
WWW.SYLTECH.NET
,, since you have a tank? checkout his website. CLARK AIRBORNE EQUIPMENT and Dodge Army Trucks and then some.SUPER GREAT GUY to know...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
BIG MIKE

will check him out, Massachusetts has the biggest next to Cali of Privet
ly owed Military tanks in the country mostly ww2 stuff.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
BIG MIKE

I 'll tell you Peter of sum history My carrier was made in the Ford Motor plant in Onterio Can. its of Canadian design after the British Version. Most of the British Carrier were lost after Dunkurk. Mostlly all of the Universal Carrier were from Canada that fought after the landing in Normandy. The T16 is the American
Version that was Designed by Ford as you see in the website. In Somerville Mass at the ford Motor plant they made 5,000 T16's. The T16s had 100hp flatys in them and was a tiller type of driving,(just Like a tank) and was 19" longer than the canadian Bren Gun carrier. eventually canada came out with thier version of the T16 it was called the Windsor Carrier it had evrything like the T16 but with sand guards only up front and the spring and bogie's were in a differant position. Most bren carriers after the war were sold to farmers for work on the farm. sum went to scrap yards most were sold to small countrys for thier own defence. the last ones were used all the way up to the late 60's. OK i'm tired