Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
jchochole

Default What is this?

I am looking at a model a coupe that has this attached to the driveshaft – does anybody know what this is? Looks like an overdrive. There is a pedal in the floor which activates this.

Thanks,
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8463.jpg (66.8 KB, 556 views)
Old 07-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: What is this?

It's a Borg Warner overdrive.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
Brian SATX

Check your PM
Old 07-14-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
TRP

I agree. Looks to be an older Borg Warner. There should be a pull handle on the dash and a switch to power up the relay.

Mine doesn't have the swich or the govenor. Its more 'home grown'.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
jchochole

Interestingly enough, there is no handle – but on the floor there is a large knob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8464.jpg (70.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

Most likely knob is attached to a cable.........................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
TRP

I agree with Flamingo. With the car not running or moving... see if you can pull up on that knob. That may be the 'lever/cable' that is used to initiate the over drive action.

You should have a look at this PDF for good pointers on the OD useage.
Check out this pdf from the Santa Ana A's

I also have a non standard install in my car. I didn't think I had a power button for my unit but after some noodling I found that the top of my O/D lever was actually a switch. If you pull up on the chrome button it's actually a switch!

I just went out to shoot these photos and learned that it's a TWO WAY switch!?

The first image is the lever with the OD disengaged. The third is the lever in the 'engaged' position. The second photo is with the button in it's 'first' stage. You can pull up the button into a second position. That's pretty much all I know about the system.

To use it I get up to about 35mph. Push the lever forward and pull up on the button. I then let off the gas for a second or so and then get back on the gas. Bingo Bango Bongo. The OD is engaged! To get out of OD I let off of the gas, push the button down, and pull the lever back between the seats. Get back on the gas and now I'm back in standard 'freewheel' mode for the OD.

Sorry these images are rotated 90 degrees. I'll rotate them when I get to the office tomorrow.

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170717_210258~2.jpg (55.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 20170717_210220~2.jpg (43.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 20170717_210204~2.jpg (50.0 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by TRP; 07-17-2017 at 11:25 PM.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:28 PM   #8
31a

Make sure the unit is not engaged when you backup It can damage the OD, you may have a solenoid that kicks it out.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #9
jchochole

So, I don't want to engage this overdrive nor damage it. Is it safe to say that if I leave the power off, that is to say the red light on my dash is OFF, then there is no way I will engage the Overdrive unit? Even I accidentally have the lever pulled or pushed? Without power it will not engage?

Can I be sure of that?

Last edited by jchochole; 07-20-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: changed grammar
jchochole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #10
30 Tudor

You want to leave it in the locked position,,,,
The transmission is missing so the automatic lockout is missing, it will not work if the lever is in the lock position, when the lever is in the unlock position it can work or not,but when you back up the automatic lock out is not there any more, so you have to lock it by hand.

pulled One way,, the lever locks the planet and it is the same as a straight shaft, the other way and it will free wheel going forward, at that point the electric solenoid can shift it into overdrive, I used to have a hand switch on the dash,,boy was I super cool!. You want it in the locked position.
If I remember correctly, pulled forward like in the photo is locked,,,but it's been many decades since I had one of those,,,if a kid can't tear it up,,,,,,it's good to go!
30 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

My 55 and 62 Chevys and most of my Studebakers all have B/W overdrives, and I am careful to never push the overdrive lever in or out unless the engine is lightly pulling, and the car is out of overdrive. No chance of doing damage this way.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #12
jchochole

Gents,
Both of you said to leave it in the "locked" position to be safe, but what position is that? Pushed in or pulled out?

Secondly, if the red light is off then I assume the solenoid won't throw the car into overdrive, right?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
30 Tudor

No electricity = no overdrive

lever on side of housing pulled forward= locked, cable pulled out.

To check this, put car in low gear with cable pushed in and the car can be rolled forward freely but cannot be pushed backwards.

with cable out the car should feel normal,,can not roll either direction when pushed by hand in gear with the engine not running.

Did you read the article in post #7 ?

But you should check this out for sure, my memory could be faulty, I had a herd of Studebakers as a kid, wish I still had them. Oh Yeah!

Last edited by 30 Tudor; 07-21-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #14
jchochole

Yes, I did read but much of it confuses me. I don't have a lever on the dash but rather a knob sticking up from the floor. So, I assume pulled up is "off" to overdrive and pushed down means "on?" Then I have a flip switch on my dash cluster and a red light.

Here are pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8523.jpg (38.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg dash.jpg (37.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #15
daveymc29

I'm guessing that whatever it takes to get the red light lit is what it takes to get into OD. The red light is then telling you to stay out of reverse. On the truck I had it was done similarly with a cable pull and a switch. I took the tower off and made a "fail safe" switch on the end of the reverse shift rod that was wired so that if I put the car in reverse the power to the entire overdrive was interrupted, thus it couldn't be accidentally shifted into reverse while in OD. Worked for me. Laycock (Volvo) OD's need the same protection. In reverse. there are rollers that will be forced up ramps and will pry the OD apart internally, ruining it, if the unit is in reverse and in OD at the same time. Read past posts on this subject, you really want to understand when it is in OD and when it is not, and how to keep it that way.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #16
30 Tudor

Jim, I'll try to keep it simple,,
1. cable moves in and out to either,,,,

A. push CABLE IN to unlock the gear set so it can be used for overdrive. In this mode it freewheels while being pushed forward, and cannot be push started and there is no engine breaking. It will not back up.

B. Pulled OUT to Lock the gear set so the car may be push started, and used in reverse.
This is the same as a regular driveshaft.
Flipping the switch with the cable pulled out in the locked position will do nothing,
overdrive will not engage, cannot engage, there is a lock-out to prevent this.

The switch is to energize the solenoid, a magnetically actuated lever that stops the
sun gear from spinning so the planet set can run against it and produce an over run of the outer ring gear that will turn the output shaft at a higher rpm than the input.
The switch can only lock the sun gear,,, when "the cable is pushed in"and the unit is in the free wheeling mode. With the cable pushed in and the switch on,, the car has engine breaking through the overdrive gears and can be push started
BUT NOT TO BE DRIVEN IN REVERSE

With "the cable pulled out", no overdrive,,,,,,It must be pulled out and the switch off to have a reverse.

Push the "CABLE IN" to unlock the planet assembly,,,get the car up to some speed
then "FLIP THE SWITCH ON", let off the gas and when the engine slows down the spring loaded pawl will lock the sun gear, you will feel a click or slight bump, then when you push on the petal again you are running in overdrive. "FLIP THE SWITCH OFF" and the overdrive will turn off.

At that point there is no engine braking,,,, "CABLE IN-SWITCH OFF", = no overdrive and no engine breaking,,it is in freewheeling mode. If the engine is revved up till it is pulling the car, the cable can be pulled out at this point and it will lock the planet assembly into straight drive.
It is suggested not to do this as it is like shifting without a clutch, but I did it a million times with my cars,,you know how kids are,, never did hurt one.

That OD would work in my car,,,Do you recognize my avatar?

Last edited by 30 Tudor; 07-21-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #17
jchochole

That makes sense, thanks to everyone for the OD help! I think I have it now.

Do I recognize your car? Hmmm, at one time I also had a '30 Tudor.