Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #1
Dan Surber

Default 1950 FORD Flathead Mill Vapor lock

I have had a 49 & a 50 FORD 239 V8 & a 6 banger flat head Mill, NEVER had vapor lock till this new gas came out,, I bought a 50 FORD Custom v 8 in November ran great all winter long, weather warms up I closed off the water valve to the heater core, after that the car starting vapor locking, As the weather got into the 80`s, I replaced the fuel pump, the coil, & rebuilt the carb, put on a 6 volt electric fuel pump The car still has a vapor lock , I opened, the valve to let the water go through the heater core & I`ve used the heater fan to help cool down the fluid, It seamed to cool down a LOT faster, & run much better. even after over heating it started & ran fine, but the temp out side was 60, I am going to remove the Mechanical pump completely & run total electric , from the tank, With a second electric pump in case the first one conks out on me. I will make an aluminum plate to fit under the Card that`s wide enough to shield the carb from the head heat. I will run a metal fuel line to the outside of the frame & run a fuel regulator at 2 & 1/2lbs I`ll run the line up to the fender weld & through the vent hole in the driver fender & runt a heat shielded hose straight across to the carb, I want to see if this will stop the Vapor lock, I will also get a stronger condenser, & I may move the ignition coil to a cooler place. I intend to drive this car every day, as I progress I`ll try top post & let you know how everything works out, I will also flush out the motor with vinegar & water, I will replace the anti Freeze with plain water & water wetter. I`ve read all the posts on the Vapor lock subject & I `m very impressed with the answers, please, if there is anything else you can thing of that will work please feel free to help
Dan
Dan Surber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: 1950 FORD Flathead Mill Vapor lock

Dan, I think you posted this in the wrong forum, your in the questions and suggestions section, click on forum then early ford V8. Sounds like your on the right track with your problem, for me I have a station near by that sells non-ethnanol gas, that coupled with an electric pump seems to work ok for me.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote