Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Roger - WI

Default 36 Speedo reinstall

I removed my speedometer to have it fixed, lubed, etc. Having a lot of trouble getting the nut on the top bolt as I put it back in. I do not want to take the dash out. Is there a trick to getting that nut on? Really a tough angle to get to. Thanks.
Roger - WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Django

Default Re: 36 Speedo reinstall

A set of smaller hands maybe? I don't recall it being particularly difficult myself. Can you not start it by hand, or just can't get a wrench on there?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I know I've at least removed '36 speedos...don't remember any great problems aside from back pain. Would it help to glue the nut into a deep socket so you have a handle of sorts?? Also, be real sure you have the right nut and that it goes on. I have wasted time and pain a few times trying to spin on the wrong fastener and some on entirely defective fasteners. Enlisting a child or teenager would not be a bad idea...small, flexible, easy to bribe...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
36tbird

How is your tongue positioned when you are working at this? Can't tell you what is right. I just know it matters.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
James

There is a recessed “hump” underneath the dash that is designed to allow access for the top stud and nut attachment of the speedometer. Gaining access to the speedometer attachment is pretty simple, but the trick is understanding the arrangement. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will gladly explain the procedure. [email protected]
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
flatheadfan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Roger-

I feel your pain on this. On my '35 I had the same problem It is relatively easy to get the top nut off the stud but nearly impossible to get it back on (this probably explained why Ford changed the the position of the three nuts in '37). At any rate, in my case I had to loosen the dash and pull it out slightly to get the nut on. To avoid this situation in the future I "notched" the stamping behind the upper stud to allow any future replacement without having to pull the dash. If there is an easier way to do it I haven't found it. Unfortunately for you, as it stands now, you will probably need to pull out the dash.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
Wltr_Mitty

As I recall, you have to start the nut by hand. Even a thin wall socket or nut driver doesn't give you enough room to properly align the nut to get it started. They'll take the nut off, but won't sit straight enough to get the nut back on.
Wltr_Mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Roger - WI

Some of you know the problem...I am going to try to put the nut in something that will fit (like tubing or something) and slide that on the bolt and work it on. It is a bugger! Yes, I held my tongue all kinds of ways. It is the right sized nut, too. Tried every angle I know of...You can sneak a wrench in to get it out, but good luck getting the nut back in! One of those unique 35-36 things, I think. Thanks for the suggestions (and humor)!
Roger
Roger - WI is offline   Reply With Quote