Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #1561
Cecil/WV

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

My thanks and heartfelt gratitude goes out to Bill and Shelly for the very nice poster recognizing my journey. My wife and I have been together on every mile of this journey and met so many wonderful people and through it all, only had one disabling problem with a piston failure in Abilene, Ks and even with that, I met some great V8 guys and had another experience that I wouldn't want to have missed at all. But no women, like JM. Could it have been because my wife was with me???
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #1562
Vic Piano

We Have Ignition and Lift Off...

Yes, I installed the electric fuel pump, etc. in the '39 CS today with a little help from my brother who is visiting. We got everything set up, and fired her up to check for leaks... sure enough, the OEM style pump was leaking gas from the top and where the two halves screw together. I removed the "pass through" OEM style fuel pump, that Marv had modified, took it apart and reassembled it using Indian Head Shellac on both gaskets. I let the shellac set up for about an hour, (I took my brother to have PIZZA at the usual place) when we got back, I installed the pump and NO LEAKS. Marv, it works but the gaskets do need to be coated, maybe its because of the 2.5 fuel pressure setting I dialed in on the regulator? At any rate, the '39 is running great, no more fuel starvation and, best of all, no signs of Vapor Lock... We drove her on a test run, about 15 miles, her temp was 170 when we stopped to pick up a few things for supper (about 20 minutes). When we got back to the car, the manual temp gauge read 190 degrees. I hit the starter and she fired right up... no hesitation... no bumping... jumping... missing, etc. I think we've solved the fuel starvation VL problem. I'm looking forward to taking her on a nice long drive very soon. Thanks Marv for your help.

Last edited by Vic Piano; 04-29-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Vic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:16 AM   #1563
BILL WZOREK

Vic:
LONG TRIP = New england in the SPRING it's like the begining of life,every thing budding & in bloom.
It's one of the things I will miss when it comes time for us to move !!!!!
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 AM   #1564
Vic Piano

Bill, we are actually planning on driving the '39 LZ up to New England in the Fall. My wife has never been to the North East in the Fall so she wants to see the foliage, we also have friends and family on Long Island and in Maine. If we gat a chance, we'll stop by to see you and Lee for some of your coffee...
Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #1565
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
We Have Ignition and Lift Off...

Yes, I installed the electric fuel pump, etc. in the '39 CS today with a little help from my brother who is visiting. We got everything set up, and fired her up to check for leaks... sure enough, the OEM style pump was leaking gas from the top and where the two halves screw together. I removed the "pass through" OEM style fuel pump, that Marv had modified, took it apart and reassembled it using Indian Head Shellac on both gaskets. I let the shellac set up for about an hour, (I took my brother to have PIZZA at the usual place) when we got back, I installed the pump and NO LEAKS. Marv, it works but the gaskets do need to be coated, maybe its because of the 2.5 fuel pressure setting I dialed in on the regulator? At any rate, the '39 is running great, no more fuel starvation and, best of all, no signs of Vapor Lock... We drove her on a test run, about 15 miles, her temp was 170 when we stopped to pick up a few things for supper (about 20 minutes). When we got back to the car, the manual temp gauge read 190 degrees. I hit the starter and she fired right up... no hesitation... no bumping... jumping... missing, etc. I think we've solved the fuel starvation VL problem. I'm looking forward to taking her on a nice long drive very soon. Thanks Marv for your help.
That is encouraging to hear. What type of e-pump did you use-Airtek?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #1566
Vic Piano

Hi Steve,

I did use an Airtex 6 volt electric pump with a filter. I installed an additional filter between the fuel tank and fuel pump (the filter on the Airtex is small). I also installed a fuel pressure regulator and a "kill switch". I hope to get a chance to take the '39 CS out for another drive later today, to see if it's not a fluke that everything is working correctly...
Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #1567
Steves46

Excellent! Look forward to reading the update. It will certainly be warm enough for another test.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #1568
KM/ROADSTERS

Hey Vic, Glad to hear the 39' CS is behaving normally. I really like hanging out with the "Cigar City Flatheads", but was worried about pushing the 39 all the time, due to the lack of funds for new shoes. Just kidding, the pizza and company on our Saturday "Play dates" at your place are awesome. Thanks for letting me do the PM on dad's car, and putting your project to the side for the day, I truly appreciate it. The car shifts much better now. Keep the information from the 6 volt electric fuel pump, I am going to put one in my 48' when I resurrect it. I think I was suffering from the same issues, but could never quite figure it out. Thanks, buddy Keith...
KM/ROADSTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #1569
Vic Piano

Hi Keith,

I enjoyed playing with cars with you and your dad last week, glad the car is shifting better. This Friday we are going down to Sarasota to visit with my sister so, no garage time. On the first Saturday in May, I'd like to cruise over to Dade City for the car show. I thought we could make that the Vanquish Vapor Lock Tour. We could meet somewhere on I-75 for breakfast and go on to Dade City... Let me know if you can make it. Vic
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #1570
KM/ROADSTERS

sorry Vic, The girls have a dance recital that day in Lakeland. The first day I'll have free is May 25th. But after that, I am planning on teaming up with mike on the wiring for the LC. By then you should have the distributor and coil back, and we can get her going, and not have to worry about spontaneous combustion. I'll be visiting through this media, till then. Keith...
KM/ROADSTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #1571
Vic Piano

Keith, I just realized that this weekend is the first one in May and I'll be out of town... We'll have to reschedule the Vanquish Vapor Lock Tour for the first weekend in June. I hope you are right about having the LZ back on the road, the sooner the better...
Old 04-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #1572
WarrenC

Vic----That sounds promising for fixing my, sometimes, vapor lock problem. I might drive over next month to see how you set it up.
WarrenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #1573
oldford2

Quote:
Bill, we are actually planning on driving the '39 LZ up to New England in the Fall. My wife has never been to the North East in the Fall so she wants to see the foliage, we also have friends and family on Long Island and in Maine. If we gat a chance, we'll stop by to see you and Lee for some of your coffee...
Hey Vic,
If you head to New England in the LZ this fall be sure and let me know. We have plenty of Fordbarners that can join up with you for a New England flathead tour. Stop at Bill Z's, Ol' Rons, Walt Duponts shop, foliage and Oh those Maine lobsters.
Now that would be a fun adventure. 3000 miles round trip
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #1574
Vic Piano

Thanks John,

I appreciate that, and it would sure add to the fun. I'll be sure to let you know. Vic
Old 04-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #1575
Steves46

Quote:
Keith, I just realized that this weekend is the first one in May and I'll be out of town... We'll have to reschedule the Vanquish Vapor Lock Tour for the first weekend in June. I hope you are right about having the LZ back on the road, the sooner the better...
Let me know when you have a free Saturday to work on the 39 LZ; I'll be glad to lend a hand.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #1576
41ford1

Quote:
Hmmm. Sounds like an event needs planning. The end of September would be perfect for a foliage tour. We could replicate the NE summer bash or just have a get together of NE barners. Let me know when your plans firm up.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #1577
Vic Piano

Steve, thanks, I'll let you know when we schedule our next "play time".

Chuck, you know me, I never have a plan... If all is right with the world and Jupiter aligns with Mars, etc., etc. I'll have the Zephyr road worthy with the Columbia and a convertible top installed... at that point, I'll see what Sherrie says, as to when she wants to go.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #1578
BrianCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
Hmmm. Sounds like an event needs planning. The end of September would be perfect for a foliage tour. We could replicate the NE summer bash or just have a get together of NE barners. Let me know when your plans firm up.
Count me in.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #1579
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Vic - you and Sherrie are more than welcome to stop by our place on your way up and back to break up the trip, make repairs, whatever .... love to have you!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #1580
Vic Piano

Tom, thanks, I really appreciate that, we'd love to see you as well.