Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
marko

Default Fuel Sending Unit F1

I have a 1950 F1. It's a 6 volt & all gauges are original.

I need to replace the fuel sending unit. I did trouble shoot it and the gauge is good. My question is, who sells a good replacement for this, right out of the box?
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
DD931

Default Re: Fuel Sending Unit F1

I bought mine a few years ago from Dennis Carpenter. The only challenge is to bend the float arm right so that it reads properly from full to empty. Some experimentation will be required, but you should be happy with the result.
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
TomO

If you have an original sending unit, keep it. It is better than any of the reproductions around. The reproductions do not work very well even after they have been adjusted.

Some causes of incorrect readings from the original sending unit are:

Bad float - the float can leak and fill with gas. To check it out boil some water and then immerse the float in the water. If it is leaking, bubbles will rise from the leak.

Dirty contact points - The contact points inside the sending unit can corrode, giving incorrect readings. Check by connecting an ohm meter between the point where the wire connects and the case of the sending unit. It should read near 0 ohms at all positions of the arm. Pry off the top cover of the sending unit and spray the contact with Radio Shack Tuner Cleaner and Lubricant. Operate the arm about a hundred times.

Poor grounding of the tank or sending unit - check with ohm meter or by connecting a jumper form the sending unit to the body of the F1.

Wires inside of sending unit broken - Check with an ohm meter as above. If the ohm meter reads an open circuit, send the unit to Baxter Ford in KS to be repaired.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone; marko, I don't know what's wrong with your sender, but there's a photo in post #4 of this thread (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ghlight=sender) that shows us testing our 1936 unit. Note that the float has been replaced with one from another sender that we had purchased from one of the parts guys. Our issue was the original hollow metal bulb float had filled with fuel.

We also ran a separate ground wire to one of the fasteners that holds the sender in the tank.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
marko

Thanks for all the reply's. I will be taken the original one off next week, and will be looking for possible float problem & others that you suggested. Thanks again.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
DD931

When I opened mine up the original unit was completely rusted out from condensation and was scrap. The repro I got from Carpenter was of good quality and has worked well for about ten years.
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
FortyNiner

The floats do go bad and are easily replaced. Hoping that is the extent of your problem.
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote