Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2023, 09:43 AM   #1
47jailbar

Default New (patients please)

IÂ’m not only new to Fordbarn, IÂ’m new to forums, boards ext so please bear with me. I donÂ’t know where to post my question so IÂ’m starting here.

IÂ’ve just purchased a 1947 Ford pickup (1/2 ton). IÂ’ve owned a few cars from the 60Â’s but this is my first vehicle this old. Beyond the pretty paint and fancy wheels it looks mostly stock to me; 24 stud (239?) with 3 spd manual and banjo rearend. It has leaf springs and knee action shocks at all 4 corners.

HereÂ’s my question. The steering was sloppy even for a 76 year old pickup so I had the seller wiggle the steering wheel while I observed. I noticed the gear box was loose at a mounting bolt with cotter pin. Replacing with a tighter bolt improves things greatly but now I notice flexing in the frame rail when the steering wheel is turned. Is this normal? Did I screw up replacing that bolt? Is there another fix?
47jailbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:35 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: New (patients please)

You did the right thing.
Old Ford frames are a kind of spring steel. They are supposed to flex. The worst thing someone can do to one is weld fish plates on the outside of one and that will insure cracking becasue it cannot flex. There are adjustments on the steering box. If you put the front on jackstands and go through the entire travel, you should notice more play when at Full Right and Full Left and the tightest spot should be in the middle and at this tighter spot, the front wheels should be straight ahead. Check the lubricant in the box, it is quite common for it to leak out due to a worn seal where the shaft comes out for the pittman arm. Many use a grease called John Deer Corn Head grease in these boxes as it is a very soft grease made for very low RPM things where it does turn to a liquid but goes back to a semi solid when not moving. It probably has that name because it was maybe used on corn harvesting sickle bar type equipment is my guess.

Welcome!! There are MANY Jailbar truck guys here on the barn who will assist you with specific things related to your truck.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
Ol' Ron

No, You didn't screw up. Replacing the bolts was a good idea, but they should be grade #8 bolts and tightened to a proper torque. The cotter pis is to keep the nut from falling off if it comes loose. I think.
Yes the frame will flex a small amount. Another thought might be the condition of the steering box itself??. Backlash etc.
Gramps
Just worked on a 47 PU very nice truck
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 11:30 AM   #4
GB SISSON

Welcome to the barn. Next thing is have someone wiggle steering wheel and look for movement in tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm and king pins. If good, there are 2 adjustments on the steering box. On top is a cover over a machine screw with a stamped 'star' around it. It's next to the fill plug. I will defer to the Mac Van Pelt's site for his clearly written directions as I have a busy Monday morning in my shop. Also, there is a 4 bolt plate on the front end of the steering box. Under the plate are a stack of paper shims. Removing one or two will eliminate end play in the shaft. Keep them intact as you may take out too many and get in a bind. Let's just say you go through all this and it wanders. I have just learned how important the caster shims (wedges) are, specially if the stance has been altered a bit from sagging springs or someone's 'rake' attempts. Lastly on the topic of wander check the toe in. Should be about 1/8", but I have snuck in an extra 1/16" at the expense of more tire wear and it can help. Let us know what you find and we can help. Nothing too difficult on a jailbar truck, other than finding room for a couple of parts trucks. They are still relatively inexpensive and plentiful, at least around here. Get us some pics when you can.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 03:35 PM   #5
47jailbar

Thank you much one and all. I plan on ordering a 42-47 manual I saw on eBay. Seller says it’s a reproduction of a military manual.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:48 PM   #6
mfirth

I love "Jailbar" trucks.....pictures PLEASE and welcome to The Barn !
mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 05:53 PM   #7
mcflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47jailbar View Post
IÂ’m not only new to Fordbarn, IÂ’m new to forums, boards ext so please bear with me. I donÂ’t know where to post my question so IÂ’m starting here.

IÂ’ve just purchased a 1947 Ford pickup (1/2 ton). IÂ’ve owned a few cars from the 60Â’s but this is my first vehicle this old. Beyond the pretty paint and fancy wheels it looks mostly stock to me; 24 stud (239?) with 3 spd manual and banjo rearend. It has leaf springs and knee action shocks at all 4 corners.

HereÂ’s my question. The steering was sloppy even for a 76 year old pickup so I had the seller wiggle the steering wheel while I observed. I noticed the gear box was loose at a mounting bolt with cotter pin. Replacing with a tighter bolt improves things greatly but now I notice flexing in the frame rail when the steering wheel is turned. Is this normal? Did I screw up replacing that bolt? Is there another fix?
The school of hard knocks is about the only source for learning about these old cars. Thanks for everyone on this forum who is willing to share their knowledge with the rest of us newbies!
mcflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 07:59 PM   #8
34pickup

Are you a doctor?

just kidding....
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 12:53 PM   #9
47jailbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfirth View Post
I love "Jailbar" trucks.....pictures PLEASE and welcome to The Barn !
mike
I put some pics in an album. Still trying to figure out how to add them to a post.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:59 PM   #10
Mart

Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:47 PM   #11
GB SISSON

Good job Mart! And that's a great looking truck!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 05:32 PM   #12
47jailbar

Sorcery!
Old 11-14-2023, 06:32 PM   #13
fordv8j

Beautiful truck....welcome aford
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 07:51 PM   #14
sugarmaker

47jailbar,
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you hit the ground running with your very nice jailbar! Ok, so check with Ken Bounds and get signed up for the annual National meet in Auburn Indiana June 17-22.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 08:21 PM   #15
47jailbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
47jailbar,
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you hit the ground running with your very nice jailbar! Ok, so check with Ken Bounds and get signed up for the annual National meet in Auburn Indiana June 17-22.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Auburn is a bit far given the gearing in the old girl. I’ll probably do NSRA nationals in Kalamazoo though.
Old 11-15-2023, 07:48 AM   #16
mfirth

Way to go Mart !!! Thanks. 47jailbar, you have a GOOD LOOKING truck for sure.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote