Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Ol' Ron

Default 3D printer

I think someone on the Barn should buy a 3D printer so they can make some of these one off hard to get parts like an H&C rotor among other thins. I keep buying tickets
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
4tford

Default Re: 3D printer

Jay Leno has one.. Is he a barner????
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
sturgis39

I agree with with you Ron.
sturgis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tford View Post
Jay Leno has one.. Is he a barner????
We'll make him one.......
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
rgtharley

Jay does have one, and it's a nice one. And yes, he also has a very nice 25 T that I got to drive once while visiting him. So maybe I'll ask if he is a barner, and wants to help us out with his printer!! LOL!!
rgtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtharley View Post
Jay does have one, and it's a nice one. And yes, he also has a very nice 25 T that I got to drive once while visiting him. So maybe I'll ask if he is a barner, and wants to help us out with his printer!! LOL!!
That would be nice there are some '39 Lincoln Zephyr parts I could use...
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
Tinker

I actually looked into them and am seriously considering. Not all are created equal. A good one that prints objects in various materials (mostly plastic), with fine detail, up to the size of a loaf of bread is around $3000.

You will also need either a good CAD/Solidwerks program or a 3d program that outputs format compatible files (check), a 3d object scanner or a 3d operator modeler (check, I am), and a decent computer capable of running the software (check).

All I need is the printer and the objects to model. Would 30 people pay $100 for a dizzy rotor?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
36tbird

First project, I think, should be those automatically adjusting valves that do not need a cam we talked about a while back. I want to see 30 mpg out of a flathead.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
larry/Texas

Ol' Ron

This is a very good topic and it will be interesting to see where it goes. It is certainly a good topic. Maybe someone can put Jay's video on this thread.

larry/Texas
larry/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
4tford

here on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZrJsrTT4EA
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
Tinker

I'll add that there are a lot of companies out there now with 3d printer services. Give them a file and they print it out for you. Depending on the material it runs anywhere from $0.25 to $5 a cubic centimeter.

more...

The printer used in the Jay video is about $30k just for the printer. There are a few good alternatives to this unit. But it's down to screening size. Since a 3d printer creates the object layer by layer the finer the layer the better the end product. Being that you would want a printer with the best (closest) replication of parts possible, you would want to acquire the best (expensive) machine available. Hence outsourcing the printing to a company. As usual with any electronic device, they usually get cheaper and better over time.

Still leaves, that you will have to cast the item from the plastic piece to be workable part.

sample comparison of a 2k unit vs the 30k unit:
http://kylestetzrp.wordpress.com/200...ension-1200es/

Last edited by Tinker; 07-02-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
mike in tucson

We just went to an open house at a 3D printing service last Friday. They have the capability to build components in 17-4 stainless, inconel, optically clear plastic (think tail light lenses), PEEK, abs, nylon 12 and a bunch of other materials.....BUT they had maybe 8 different types of machines.....a particular machine is limited to a range of materials. Some materials are "hardened" by a laser, some by UV light, some by magic.

The cheapest solution is to send the printing service a SW model of your part....they usually turn stuff within 10 days for us. Dimensionally, the tolerance is a function of the material and the resolution of the machine...some stuff they can do in microns but is slow and pricey. The nylon parts we have made are within 0.015" and are relatively cheap..... we cannot machine a part for anywhere near their price.

Mike in Tucson
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Ol' Ron

A nylon rotor would work just fine.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
keith oh

My daughter in law has a gizmo that if I give her a gasket like a Carburator or WSW motor gasket it will copy and cut it out, it is not 3D but real handy. I suppose every body else is familier with them but was new to me.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
Tinker

Mike does the same company also scan items? I would guess yes.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
Ol' Ron

Just came back from Utube, quite an assortment of 3D printers. They even print in metal. Who knows, maybe this is the answer to the block shortage.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
mike in tucson

Tinker,

They might do scanning....we give them a SolidWorks model and never have had anything scanned....since all of our stuff is new. We designed our turn signal product using the SLA modeling to get the design right before committing to the castings. You can see it on hotrodblinkie.com

The 3D printing company is SolidConcepts.com and they have stores mainly in the Western USA. IF you go to their web site, there is a list of materials that they can do. It is impressive.

They may be able to suggest a scanning service if they dont provide such. Good outfit, they stand behind their work and like I said earlier, the turn around is fast.

Mike
Old 07-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
Tinker

Thanks Mike. It is quite impressive.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
mike in tucson

Before a cap or rotor is made, a materials investigation needs to be done regarding the dilectric strength of the material so the component wont arc thru (remember the el cheapo HEI caps and rotors that KMART sold in the blister pack?) I think it is entirely feasible that someone could scan/engineer a cap or rotor and have it made. If the SLA process doesnt work, there is always the alternative of making an elastomer mold and casting them using a proper material. Either way, if someone had a used component, a new one could be created relatively easy without having to make a metal mold. Older materials were horrible at their water adsorption and, in time, began to conduct electricity. But, who would pay $75 for a distributor cap? Answer: the guy who doesnt have one available.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
donhunt

Along a similar subject where a company on line supply's an online cad program so the customer can design his part, send it to them and they will make as many as you want out of about anything.

http://www.emachineshop.com/
donhunt is offline   Reply With Quote