Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #21
Admiral

Default Re: Timing-Gear Noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
A broken push rod tube!!!! I have never, never ever heard of that but then again flatheads have a history of the "strange." As for the 0.017" gap, check the adjusting screw(s). Are they tight? You may be working with some worn or poorly made adjuster threads which will only give you a repeat performance unless repaired (several simple ways to do it).

Tom
Most of the adjusters were nice and tight but a couple were a little looser feeling than perhaps they should be. I would have pulled the lifters out but I didn't have any head gaskets on hand so I just set the clearances and called it a day (the valvetrain was pretty quiet anyway). I did stake all of the adjuster threads with a punch; hopefully this keeps them from moving, but if not I can always deal with that later (it's a great winter project). I've got some really nice -- and tight -- used Johnson lifters on the shelf that I can swap in if need be.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #22
Ian NZ

I have the same clicking noise in my 42 engine in my 47 coupe when it idles. I fitted an aluminium timing gear out of another V8 engine 11000 miles ago and I was told that could be the problem, it could be worn. The clicking noise which seems to come from the timing cover can vary, if I change the oil it will be quieter for a while,and after a run it is quieter, it does not seem to effect the engine as it has now done 11000 miles anyway.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian NZ View Post
I have the same clicking noise in my 42 engine in my 47 coupe when it idles. I fitted an aluminium timing gear out of another V8 engine 11000 miles ago and I was told that could be the problem, it could be worn. The clicking noise which seems to come from the timing cover can vary, if I change the oil it will be quieter for a while,and after a run it is quieter, it does not seem to effect the engine as it has now done 11000 miles anyway.
Not sure how gears could make a clicking noise unless there was a defect in the gear somewhere. I would think it would be a lot more likely that the gears were hitting something like a bolt.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #24
outlaw

Admiral, I'm glad that you found the source of the noise, & that it was a "minor" problem to repair.
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote