Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #21
koates

Default Re: Charging/Starting

Well then why did the new battery fix your problem ? Starter current draw will vary according to conditions but ball park would be 250 to 350 amps for your 6 volt Ford. Check that your battery starter cables are very heavy like ones fitted to diesel trucks. Size O or OO B&S is required here. A 6 volt starter motor will draw double the amps of an equivalent 12 volt starter. Your old battery could not deliver that apparently. Most spare parts shops assistants, mechanics, back yard experts, don't know how to properly test a vehicle battery much less a 6 volt one. Pleased you have it fixed. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #22
37 Cab

My thought was the tractor supply batter just did not produce the advertised amperage. It never did crank the engine as well as the new one. Possibly defective from new?? My cables are correct for the 6 volt system and I cleaned all the connections well.
That is why I posted a link to the battery I used. I have heard the tractor supply battery mentioned here before and that is why I used one. Most auto parts guys here can`t even look up a part correctly or for that matter know the difference between one part and another, I cringe when I need to call. Again.. thank you for the sound advise. I am very pleased as well. I read all of your own as well as JSeery`s posts as your advise always seems to be spot on.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #23
40cpe

For comparison, what is the voltage of the new battery while cranking?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #24
koates

40cpe, Various factors could effect that voltage reading but I would like to see about 4.5 volts there at least. Maybe I will go out and check it on my 34 Ford V8 with its 6 volt optima battery when I get a chance. It cranks quite good. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #25
37 Cab

I am getting 4.6 on initial crank ramping up to 5.0 steady cranking.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
40cpe, Various factors could effect that voltage reading but I would like to see about 4.5 volts there at least. Maybe I will go out and check it on my 34 Ford V8 with its 6 volt optima battery when I get a chance. It cranks quite good. Regards, Kevin.
I would be interested in what the static voltage is on the Optima as will as the cranking voltage. I have read that the Optima is higher than the lead/acid batteries.

"Fully-charged, our REDTOP batteries (and 34M BLUETOP) will measure about 12.6-12.8 volts and our YELLOWTOP and BLUETOP (except the 34M) batteries will measure about 13.0-13.2 volts. Each manufacturer will generally indicate a range or minimum voltage level for a fully-charged battery."

Not sure how that relates to the 6v.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote