Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
40cpe

Default modern spring bushings

I have a tube shock set-up on the front end that uses the spring hanger as the lower attachment for the shock. These utilize the modern hard "plastic" bushings. After I installed them I was hearing a knocking sound I as the suspension moved, sounded like tension building/relieving. I took the bushings off (not fun) and greased them in and out, reinstalled, and stopped the noise. Is this typical of those hard bushings? Are they all the same, or are some better than others? If the noise comes back, I would like to replace them with a bushing that is maybe impregnated with lubricant if they are available. Thanks for any tips.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: modern spring bushings

I have heard of folks saying hard plastic bushing may "squeak". Is there a possibility that your plastic bushings are getting "wallered out" (spelling?) by the up and down motion of the shock thereby causing the "tension building/ relieving" sound? Since your greasing seems to have stopped the sound, drive it and see what happens. You may have cured the problem. Can you use rubber bushings?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
40cpe

They are new, the noise started when i put them on. Regarding using rubber bushings; part of my question was about an alternative.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
19Fordy

My 40 has after market tube shocks but the bottom is mounted to the perch bolt. Would it be possible for you to post a photo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3752 (Small).jpg (52.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3802 (Small).jpg (45.3 KB, 32 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I have a tube shock set-up on the front end that uses the spring hanger as the lower attachment for the shock. These utilize the modern hard "plastic" bushings. After I installed them I was hearing a knocking sound I as the suspension moved, sounded like tension building/relieving. I took the bushings off (not fun) and greased them in and out, reinstalled, and stopped the noise. Is this typical of those hard bushings? Are they all the same, or are some better than others? If the noise comes back, I would like to replace them with a bushing that is maybe impregnated with lubricant if they are available. Thanks for any tips.
I have used moly filled Delrin for spring bushings for many years, both in street and race car applications. You have to have some provision to grease them though. I have never had one squeek. They last longer than other kinds of bushing material.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote