Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2022, 10:59 PM   #21
Crankster

Default Re: WD40 rust release

I think we've all pretty much agreed you're the designated Official Ford Barn Tester, since you've not one, but two (2) free cans. Take one for the team, in the furtherance of human knowledge, understanding, & Stuff.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:27 AM   #22
mgambuzza

In Upstate NY I use WD40 on my snowblower chute and blades everytime before use. Works especially well to prevent heavy snow from clinging to blades, impeller, and chute.

Hopefully yesterday was the last of our real snow events, add a couple heavy rains to wash the salt away, and the Tudor can come out for its first Spring neighborhood tour.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #23
JoeCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Meanwhile, back to katy's original query.... Anybody?
The OP ? was for the WD40 Rust penetrant , NOT the original WD40.
I have a can of the Penetrant and used it, can't say that it's any better or worse that the other stuff out there. My go to stuff is Kroil, at least for the smaller parts, it is $$$

Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:00 PM   #24
Cool Hand Lurker

The problem I find with WD40 is in the residue after it dries. It does leave residue that can goof up other things. My glass man used it on the fuzzy channels so the windows would crank up and down easily. They did, until a few months later when they would not move easily at all. In fact it got so hard that the window severely cracked in the front edge channel. It would not move at all anymore.
Also, do not put it on anything that needs to be painted. You may think you can clean off all the WD40 but silicone likes to take ownership and won't leave. Ask a body shop owner if he likes it. He is likely to say he won't let it in the shop.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:18 PM   #25
Certimafied

Cool Hand Lurker, The shop I grew up working in had a body shop as well. After a series of mysterious fish eyes ALL silicon based sprays were banned in the shop!

As for the OPs question. I have used many different sprays with varying effects. It seems to all come down to cost, supply, and preference. I personally feel like PB Blaster is better than the WD-40 penetrant and I think the 50/50 acetone ATF mix is better than the PB Blaster. Never have used Kroil, mostly because I never seem to find it on the shelf at my local suppliers, but everyone seems to rave about it.

On a similar but different note... Ive found that Original WD-40 works fantastic at taking sticky stuff off of surfaces, Like tape residue off of paint or glass. It doesn't hurt anything and cuts through the goo. Clean up can be a pain afterwards tho...

No matter what anyone thinks or says of the stuff I hope the OP has good luck with whatever rusty bits they will encounter!
Certimafied is offline   Reply With Quote