Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
Fred K-OR

Default Emergency brake question again.

Sorry guys about putting something on again about my e brake problem. But dumb old me still can't figure it out. Here are some more pictures and questions. Such as-do I have the lining set up the correct with the toggle links? Or do I have it upside down? Should the space between the edge of the lining where the toggles tie in be greater toward the car or out?

I did have the toggle pins with the heads out but I did have the narrow space on the linings in toward the car.

This is on the right rear wheel and so far I have not been able to find a picture of a right wheel set up. Tom posted a left wheel on the last post I had and thanks Tom.

Sorry guys if I wasn't so lazy, I would take the left drum off again and see how it was set up. But I just got it all greased up and hate to do that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00009a.jpg (44.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00015a.jpg (55.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00010aa.jpg (50.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 06-28-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
juke joint johnny

Default Re: Emergency brake question again.

If my memory is right the Narrow space goes toward the carrier .See that ledge it has some wear on it in picture number 1 . So you have the pins the wrong way round , I believe the heads of the pins go toward the car, cotter pins visible when you take off the drum .

Hope this helps

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

In the first picture, the top side goes against the carrier. That's why the bracket is offset for the pin clearance. The offset rides on the carrier.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
700rpm

Fred, I can never remember this stuff either. Whenever I take my brakes apart, I take a picture of the setup before I disassemble it.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
In the first picture, the top side goes against the carrier. That's why the bracket is offset for the pin clearance. The offset rides on the carrier.
Tom that is the way it was when I took it off. In the first picture, that narrow side was against the carrier or I would say toward the car rather than toward the drum. I had the pins so that the cotter pins were in or toward the car with the heads out toward the drum. (the drum is where the head of the pin was rubbing against).

Guess I am still confused a bit and having a tuff time figuring out where I am messing up. I may have to get a local "expert" to come over and give me a hand or I could take the right drum off the huckster and see how it is put together (but I am lazy but may have to do that).
Old 06-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Fred, I can never remember this stuff either. Whenever I take my brakes apart, I take a picture of the setup before I disassemble it.
Ray, that is a good idea but the problem was that the problem was there when I took the drum off. So the problem was there from the time I relined the brakes a year or so ago to the present time.

Ray who in our club is the brake expert?
Old 06-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
700rpm

Fred, I don't know anyone who might be an expert, but I think we have a dvd or vhs on brake rebuilding in our club library. Call Patty Brost and ask her about those.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
If my memory is right the Narrow space goes toward the carrier .See that ledge it has some wear on it in picture number 1 . So you have the pins the wrong way round , I believe the heads of the pins go toward the car, cotter pins visible when you take off the drum .

Hope this helps

John Cochran
The exploded view in the catalogs show it with the cotter pins facing the car and heads visible when the drum is off. Anyone know for sure which way?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Rusty Homestead Fl

Is Service Bulletins page 264 of any help ?
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
The exploded view in the catalogs show it with the cotter pins facing the car and heads visible when the drum is off. Anyone know for sure which way?

Mike, The pin heads face out, (cotter pins in toward carrier. The image is correct as shown for the passenger (right) side. The toggle lever pin head must face to the outside as well when installed. Make sure the band is seated correctly on the carrier on the steel pads as Tom noted in his reply. Both springs installed and the actuating springs installed on the outer lever/e-brake shaft.

I have done many brake jobs. Those that replied about taking reference photos before they disassemble... that's fine, but more times than not head/pins/ roller tracks, etc are more incorrect than correct when I disassemble. The absolute best self help training tool for a comprehensive brake overhaul is Lloyd Kerr's "How to stop on a dime".

A comphrehensive brake job "restoring" all shafts/levers/pins/backing plates/drums, etc with proper rebuilding is 30-40 hours. Brakes are one of my specialties!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Bob C

I found this picture on Epay, I don't know if they are right or not.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakes.JPG (55.8 KB, 68 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
Fred K-OR

Thanks guys. I will get back to trying to fix this thing. It could be that the band was not seated correctly like Tom mentioned. When I started taking off the band, it sort of click back into place. Plus the band seemed to have a rub spot on it on the side that seemed to be not seated correctly. I will have to give it a try in the A.M.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #13
Fred K-OR

I think John may have hit on the correct problem. The attached pictures show wear on the inside of the cast iron drum. The one picture shows the ring all the way around the drum and the other shows a close up of the grove worn in the drum. So it looks like the e brake band was rubbing on the drum. Also it shows a little rubbing of the service brake band.

So like mentioned on my prior post on this problem, where someone mentioned maybe the axle was worn, this could be what the problem is. Question I have is would putting a axle shim on the axle between the axle and the hub stop this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00002a.jpg (44.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00006a.jpg (43.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

Just thought some of you may be interested as to what I found to be the problem with my E brake situation. It was a worn hub that was causing me the problem.

With suggestion of Larry I did check out the inside of the hub. It had spots in the inside where it looked like it may have rusted at one time and some of the metal was missing. I put in one axle shim and tired it but it still rubbed a little. So now I have two shims in it and I think that will do the job. So I think I have at least a temporary fix on this problem but I think I may start looking for another used 29 hub.

Thanks again guys for all the help and especially Larry who gave me a call which got me on the right track/