Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2016, 04:48 AM   #1
Karl

Default 1934 Door Lock

On tour currently and my car was locked outside our Motel. Went to open the car and found the key turns but would not unlock the car. Has been working fine with no problems. Eventually I unscrewed the outside door handle and with a large screwdriver was able to flick something in the lock and the door opened. I have removed the lock cylinder and it looks ok The door opens ok from the inside but not the outside still. Any ideas ? Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
tomkc1

Default Re: 1934 Door Lock

That happens to mine, too, Karl if while the door is open I put the handle in the lock position and close the door. I had to get under the car, push out the battery box cover and then get a wire coat hanger up through the box, along the door to hook onto the handle to pull it open.

I did that many years ago and I've managed not to do it again. Now I make sure I use the key to lock it.

I wonder if the door lock is designed that way?

Tom
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
Karl

Tom - The inside door handle was in the normal unlocked position and the key was used to lock it -not sure what happened -Karl
Old 01-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
retep

As a matter of curiosity, my keyed door lock is on the passenger side. Is this correct?
What is the reasoning for this?
retep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by retep View Post
As a matter of curiosity, my keyed door lock is on the passenger side. Is this correct?
What is the reasoning for this?
Yes.Safer to exit the vehicle on the side walk side.Ford RHD cars had the door lock on the left side.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I have a left door like this at the moment ,I think its the inside lock toggle (small squire thing that the little arm fits over inside ),so its not locked by the handle pushed up but the little arm .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
Karl

I've removed the door lock and it looks ok . I've reinstalled the lock and everything seems to be working well. Not sure what happened. I wonder if something vibrated loose on our road trip Will just make sure I leave a window ajar until I get home.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #8
fourfords

That happened to me too. If you are going to lock your car from the outside, DO NOT lock the passenger front door from the inside. Leave the inside handle in the neutral position. At the time, I fortunately left the hood vent open and was able to snake a coat hanger and release the driver's door('33's do not have a wind screen) Other than that, it is possible your outside keyed door lock is perfectly fine.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #9
Ian NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
That happened to me too. If you are going to lock your car from the outside, DO NOT lock the passenger front door from the inside. Leave the inside handle in the neutral position. At the time, I fortunately left the hood vent open and was able to snake a coat hanger and release the driver's door('33's do not have a wind screen) Other than that, it is possible your outside keyed door lock is perfectly fine.
I got caught out like that on our 32 3/W I locked the passenger door from the inside, I was lucky i had the drivers door window down about 3/4" and I was able to pull the window winder handle up with a bit of wire.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:48 AM   #10
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian NZ View Post
I got caught out like that on our 32 3/W I locked the passenger door from the inside, I was lucky i had the drivers door window down about 3/4" and I was able to pull the window winder handle up with a bit of wire.
The problem is I haven't on either occasion it has happened locked the car from the inside. it is doing it itself somehow. Tomorrow I will pull the whole lock and have a look -Karl
Old 01-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Karl

Problem solved. The male tang out of the back of the ignition barrel was slightly short and not engaging properly in the square female hole in the lock. Can't understand how it has worked for the last 6 months with no problems. I got a locksmith to confirm the problem and then he welded on an extension to the tang and all seems fine now.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #12
Ian NZ

Good to hear that your lock problem is solved.
How is everything down there and is the 34 going well, and is the distributor working o/k.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:39 PM   #13
Karl

Thanks Ian Fantastic-We have done over 1100 miles and every thing going great ! Karl