Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2024, 10:16 PM   #1
fordor41

Default oil filters

So.. I watched a video and some motor garu and he said the by-pass valve in an oil filter opens... or... closes, which ever, at about 20 # and above that all the oil by-passes the filter element. If that was true, any engine that maintained oil pressure at 20# and above, at idle and above would have none of the oil filtered and upon removing the filter, at oil change, it would be as new as no oil had been filtered except for a brief moment at start-up as the pressure builds up. I think this is B.S. as any filter I have ever changed definitely been filtering the oil. Any thoughts?
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 06:44 AM   #2
GLAmes

Default Re: oil filters

There isn't an actual valve. There is a spring in well made filters and a flat piece of metal formed in a bow in the cheaper ones. If the filter media gets plugged the oil pressure collapses the spring and the oil bypasses the media. I hope you didn't subscribe to the "expert" who made that video. It was pure nonsense.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:51 AM   #3
cadillac512

fordor41, the bypass on a filter opens at 20# (or whatever the designed rating is) DIFFERENCE in pressure between the inlet and outlet side of the filter, not the oil pressure the pump is delivering. When a filter gets restricted for any reason the bypass allows oil to flow so the engine doesn't starve.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 07:48 PM   #4
Gene F

What #2, and #3 said. If you could see how some of them are designed and made, oh my gosh! Engine Masters did a whole show on oil filters, and it was an eye opening experience. That program may be on youtube My car has a Y-block, so oil formula, and filter are pretty important choices for me.

BTW, they found that the Motorcraft filter is not a bad filter. Not the best, but it ain't bad for the money.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:42 PM   #5
fordor41

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
What #2, and #3 said. If you could see how some of them are designed and made, oh my gosh! Engine Masters did a whole show on oil filters, and it was an eye opening experience. That program may be on youtube My car has a Y-block, so oil formula, and filter are pretty important choices for me.

BTW, they found that the Motorcraft filter is not a bad filter. Not the best, but it ain't bad for the money.
Yes , I watched that show. Motorcraft filters are what I always use.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote