Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Charles Reese

Default E28: Floor Board Weather Seal

I understand that wooden floor boards on open vehicles may have been originally been protected by a dealer-installed rubber “floor mat” placed over the wooden floor boards. However, my question concerns a weather seal around the gear shift housing tower on early open vehicles (this is NOT referring to the metal ring installed on the ‘carpet’ used on closed vehicles).

Interestingly, at least to me, several sources, including the 2016 RG/JS (pg 11-4) state “Some very early 1928 vehicles had a flat rubber seal around the gear shift housing with a nickel plated retaining ring attached with three screws. All other vehicles had just a flat rubber seal tacked in place”

I have seen numerous original floorboards, none of which had nail/screw hole in this area suggesting they ever had any such device installed. Likewise, I have never seen this feature on a vehicle. So, can someone kindly enlighten me photos of an original such device? I am not interested in ‘farmer fixes' or current vendor items, rather the illusive original ‘nickel plated retaining ring attached with three screws”.

… the journey continues …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floorboard-1(cropped).jpg (31.1 KB, 84 views)
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
Charles Reese

Default Re: E28: Floor Board Weather Seal

After more thought (I know, dangerous for all concerned), I understand that closed vehicles had a rather elaborate metal/rubber device attached to the floorboard and carpet. Other than this photo (top side only), I have never seen one of these. Perhaps the 3 screws mentioned in the statement only served to connect two pieces of metal (with rubber/carpet sandwiched between) and did not engage the wood! Thus, no holes on original boards! Even if so, does not explain the following statement (2016 RG/JS, pg 11-4) “all other vehicles had just a flat rubber seal tacked in place”. Seems there would at least be residual evidence of tack holes in some original boards. Thoughts anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shifter ring.JPG (40.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

This was all i am able to find and i have SEEN the one your speaking of in person and just can't find the photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1801.jpg (116.8 KB, 79 views)
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Charles Reese

Thanks ... great pic! any chance one of the reverse side?
I'm coming to believe such a device was only used on closed (carpeted) vehicles (to minimize fraying of the carpet edge) and that the screws mentioned in JS only served to hold together a metal ring on each side of the carpet (i.e., no screw holes in wood floorboard).

If so, then expect there were no similar ring/rubber on open vehicle floorboards. Probably only the dealer installed (if purchased) rubber floormat - in my case the elusive E28 'script' style! Being 'just a truck' (and condition of floorboards), suspect mine never experienced such a luxury

Gotta love the journey!