Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2023, 01:50 AM   #21
1928 Sport Coupe

Default Re: I was thinking of changing to 12 volt negative ground.

Dick Carne:
When you went to 12 volts did you change the starter drive to the modern drive or leave the original type drive? Then when you changed the field coils to 12 volts what starter drive is in it now? This is the information I am trying to get. I think I want to rebuild the original starter with 12 volt field coils, but I do not know what drive to use. It seems like people either love the modern drive or hate it. I do not have any experience with the modern drive.
I have a roll of wire on the way to rewind the horn. Thank you very much.
Bill G:
I agree with you 100% on having a wiring diagram with any modifications from original.
I made a 6 volt turn signal harness for my 28 using bulk wire & loom from Snyders. Before ordering the parts I drew up a wiring diagram. Anything I changed along the way I revised on my diagram. It is in the file for the car.
I intend to start with a copy of that diagram on the 30 and revise it as needed for 12 volts. And when done it will be put in the car's file. Using 12 volts gives me lots of other options for turn lights.
Pete:
I like your list of options. I am leaning toward #3 because I want it to look original. I just am not sure which way to go because people either hate or love the modern drive. There just does not seen to be much middle ground. I do not have any experience with using the modern drive. I have ruled out the gear reduction starter because of the looks. It looks like the starter on my 2003 F-150.
Thanks again.
1928 Sport Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:42 AM   #22
jack backer
BANNED

The original Bendix is effective, but when running 12v through a 6v starter the engagement speed and torque is higher and can result in failed spring bolts and spring.the modern uses a rubber washer that softens the ‘hit’ of the drive gear, the original is steel on steel..
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:02 PM   #23
5lugnuts

GPS and cell phone chargers run on 5 volts no mater what battery voltage you have.
That gadget you plug into the cigarette lighter only allows 5 volts through and you must use that gadget. You must wire the cigarette lighter socket as negative ground on a separate 6 volt circuit. That would be the only 6 volt circuit on the car to be wired as negative ground direct from the 6 volt battery. The rest of the car is left positive ground.
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:13 AM   #24
Rocky Rocket

Great info fellers. Amazing...
Rocky Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:15 AM   #25
CT Jack

Keep your A with the original electrical system. I have a solid state voltage regulator and converted all my lights to LED's. The 6v generator works great.
Rewire as you plan, rebuild your starter, buy SS voltage regulator(not a diode cutout), provide heavy gauge cables from the battery to the starter, and maintain the ignition system. If you need to charge your cell phone buy a mini dry cell rechargeable 12v battery and tuck it under your seat.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:45 AM   #26
Ted Duke

WHY? cellphone only uses 5 v, the plug limits it. Good grounds, and 6 v starts Model A no problem. Alternator IS an improvement.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:56 AM   #27
Jim Mason

https://jmodela.coffeecup.com/mods.html