Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2023, 11:21 AM   #1
bavarian323i

Default Model A Battery ('31)

I've scopes the forums on this topic. Most threads appear old.

I am debating between the NAPA, Interstate options vs optima but would Mike a disguise case (not bracket from Snyder's etc).

I don't see that Kirk is still making disguise cases, but does anyone else have any leads?

Last edited by bavarian323i; 09-06-2023 at 11:44 AM.
bavarian323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 11:45 AM   #2
rackops

Default Re: Model A Battery ('31)

I'm actually curious as well. They used to be made, but I don't know if they are anymore.
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 07:33 PM   #3
jg61hawk

Bought my A in 2014. It had a brand new Die Hard Battery. That battery lasted 6 years and the car started slowing in the starting cycle. I bought a dry battery from a battery dealer that sells antique batteries...dry no acid battery. That battery lasted less than one year, but I was sure it couldn't be...I jumped the car, I did a bunch of stuff...but eventually bought a NAPA 6 volt regular old tractor battery. The old gal (Model A) starts now in the dead of winter or the heat of summer. Moral of the story is: Don't trust a brand new battery, especially one that is from some special company....GO NAPA!
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 07:26 AM   #4
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg61hawk View Post
Bought my A in 2014. It had a brand new Die Hard Battery. That battery lasted 6 years and the car started slowing in the starting cycle. I bought a dry battery from a battery dealer that sells antique batteries...dry no acid battery. That battery lasted less than one year, but I was sure it couldn't be...I jumped the car, I did a bunch of stuff...but eventually bought a NAPA 6 volt regular old tractor battery. The old gal (Model A) starts now in the dead of winter or the heat of summer. Moral of the story is: Don't trust a brand new battery, especially one that is from some special company....GO NAPA!
As kids, my brother and I got cocky and bought a new battery for $13.00 Can. Dad got on our case for paying more than $9.00.

Thirteen years later it died, and unlucky 13 had cost a dollar a year. God must have had a hand in that battery as we found reality was less than half, ever since!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:32 PM   #5
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg61hawk View Post
Not long after I bought my pickup in 2010, I converted it to 12V (for a variety of reasons) and bought the top of the line Die Hard battery from Sears ($300). It came with an 8 year warranty. Well in 2 years it died. Took it back to Sears and they refunded me the entire original purchase price PLUS gave me a replacement battery ($89 retail) with a 2 year warranty. Fast forward a couple years and I had to put my truck in storage for about 6 months. Battery was dead when I went to take it there, so I jumped it and got it there. On my way to take it out of storage, I went to Batteries+ and bought another battery to put in it. Well, when I got there, the storage people had my truck up front and running. I didn't ask, just drove it home. So now for another 9 years, I have been running with that 2-year battery, and have never installed the new one I bought to replace it with.

Go figure!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 11:39 AM   #6
8EL

The NAPA battery is a good battery, in my area it cost about $130.00. Farm and Fleet sells a six volt commercial 24 month 640 CCA battery however that costs about $85.00 today. I have had one in my coupe since 2014. I would expect the NAPA battery performance would be about the same so the decision to go with the Farm and Fleet unit was obvious.
8EL is offline   Reply With Quote