Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Sad steering column experience I had

I kind of hate to post this message as it may sound like I am expressing sour grapes. I have had a very bad experience with an individual involving steering column rebuilding. I hope in posting this message I can save another model A person(s) from getting cheated by this dishonest person. I want to expose this person so Fordbarners don’t have the same problems I have had. This is a rather long message, so some of you may not care to read the whole message.

I needed two 7 tooth steering columns rebuilt. I was a little apprehensive doing it myself, as I had never rebuilt one before. I had noticed a person on eBay with the user name Drew_Magoo that had listed and sold several columns over the past year or two and had a 100% feedback rating. I decided to contact him about rebuilding my two columns. His real name is Gordon Peterson, Fountain Valley, CA. I sent him an email asking if he rebuilt 7 tooth steering columns for individuals. He said yes, he did. I called him up a couple of times after that and we talked about rebuilding my columns. He was helpful and friendly on the phone initially. During the conversations, he stated the cost would be about $100 in labor per column and about $200 to $250 for parts depending on what parts were needed. I told him that sounded fair, but told him I had nearly all of the parts necessary to rebuild the columns, new sectors, new worm gears, new lower steering gear housing bushings, replated spark and gas control rods, sandblasted steering column housing and virtually all the bearings, gaskets, etc (see pictures below of all the parts I sent him). I was going to rebuild the columns myself, but decide I would have a “professional” do it instead, making sure they were rebuilt correctly, with little play in the gears. I ask Gordon if he could use my parts (new and used) and he said no problem.

I build a wooden box as Gordon advised and packed two complete steering columns and two additional steering shafts in it (for him to pick the best of the four worm/shafts). I also gathered pretty much all my other new and good used steering items and mailed them in a USPS flat rate box and shipped them to Gordon. This was back in October 2011. I told him I was in no big rush, as I didn’t need them for a couple of months.

I waited for him to email or call me when they were done. I had told him I didn’t need them soon, so take his time and do them right. I did need them in early February, so I wasn’t concerned he didn’t notify me until then. He never did call me saying they were done. In early February, I called him 3 or 4 times and left messages, but never got a return call. I then emailed him, asking him if the columns were done. I got an email back from him shortly stating they were done and the cost was $700 plus $100 shipping. I was stunned, as I supplied virtually all the parts for the rebuilding and expected to pay him $200 to $250 in labor and maybe a little more if a few additional low cost parts were needed. I politely emailed him back (after trying to call him again with no response) asking him why the cost was so high compared to what he had told me on the phone in October and in an email (I still have the email) and what he had done in the restorations. He quickly emailed me back with a terse message saying he doesn’t negotiate prices and wouldn’t tell me what parts he used or what work he did on the columns in restoring them. Does this sound like an honest person – not so much!

At this point I was getting nervous as to what to do. He had my columns and demanded $800 or he wouldn’t return them. No explanation at all – just send him $800, period or I don’t get them back. I decided to pay him his extortion money to get my hostages (columns) back. I also politely ask him to return all the parts he did not use in the rebuilding (the extra parts were worth a considerable amount of money). I sent him many more parts than could be used on two columns, so he could pick and choose the ones he wanted to use in the rebuilding process. I received the two steering columns Tuesday, March 13. He did a very shoddy job rebuilding them. Among other things, he used mismatched fasteners (bolts), installed misaligned screws in the top spark/gas upper plate (screw heads partially sticking out), spark/gas control rod arms holes redrilled incorrectly and he used broken and incorrect grease zerks (and who know what is inside the columns – good, bad, who knows??). For all I know he could have used my used sectors and worm gears instead of the new ones I sent him and kept the new ones for himself. Some of the problems (like the zerks) aren’t a big problem to fix. At $700 for the two rebuilds, I expected a professional rebuilding job. The job was amateurish, to say the least. I was definitely not at all satisfied, but what could I do? I will need to disassemble the two columns in order to see how many problems he caused inside that can’t be seen without taking them apart, basically rebuilding them a second time.

The last part is what really upset me. I emailed him again (since phone calls don’t seem to work with him – as he must have caller ID and wont answer - and wont return recorded messages I left) after receiving the columns. I politely ask again, for the third time, for him to please send me back the extra parts I sent him that he didn’t use in rebuilding the two columns. I haven’t heard anything from him and don’t expect I ever will. The parts are probably worth $200 to $300. This is in addition to the $700 he extorted form me to get my own parts back in the rebuilt columns. It is too late to do anything about the shoddy column rebuilding, but I would like to get my parts returned.

Gordon Peterson of Fountain Valley, California (Drew_Magoo on eBay) is shyster and a crook. I suspect he uses Drew_Magoo on eBay, as he is ashamed to use his real name. I don’t know what can be done about a person that behaves like he does. I live in Minnesota, so it is difficult to deal with a person in California. I didn’t mention earlier the shipping cost was $100 each way, but I did know that going into the rebuilding process. I wish I had never contacted Gordon Peterson, as he is a crook. I have only had dealing with a couple of dishonest model A people in the 6 or 7 years I have been restoring my models A’ and Gordon is the worst one ever.

If Gordon Peterson frequents Fordbarn, he may try to retaliate to this message with a feeble rebuttal, so if he does, take it for what it is worth (not much). If anyone has a way to try to make Gordon return my parts, please let me know. All together he has taken me for over $1000, which isn’t chump change.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Sad steering column experience I had

Have your attorney write him a letter.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
lfg

I agree with 700rpm.
lfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
wrndln

The problem with an attorney is the fee would probably be more than what I am out. I would get a little satisfaction knowing Gordon Peterson wouldn't get a way with his scam.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Airsho93

Sorry to hear about this. You should have had 2 excellent columns returned to you. What you sent him looks very nice. I think I will start asking on this forum who can do a credible rebuild or has good parts. Again sorry for your misfortune. Thanks for the heads up.
Airsho93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
bogiediver

Perhaps there's an attorney on the Barn that would help a fellow Barner...???
Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Try contacting the atty general or calif nust have a dept of consumer affairs.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
juke joint johnny

What a crumb he is !!!! Lets hope naming him on this forum will get a positive result for you .
Don't let this experience spoil your hobby
John
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Try contacting the atty general or calif nust have a dept of consumer affairs.
Paul in CT
Don't count on that in California. Don't ask me how I know that.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
al's28/33

Sorry to hear about your trouble. There are unfortunately many crooks out there ready to take our money, buyer beware!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
BillLee/Chandler, TX

I, too, am one of his eBay customers. I bought a rebuilt 2-tooth from him back in 2007. It arrived in a very poorly built box that only kept the column from escaping because the throttle lever was hung up inside. The bottom was gone. This is how the box looked when received

After taking off one side of the box. Note the tape-wrapped throttle lever and the slot cut in the 2x4:

The throttle lever stuck in the slot was all that kept the whole assembly from sliding out the bottom of the box:

The throttle lever was bent as was the indented metal underneath where it rides.

The steering box was packed solid with axle grease, the lower bearing was defective, and the sector shaft leaked so bad that it never would hold oil properly. But then, when packed full of grease, it didn't leak.

This past winter project included installing a sector shaft lip seal and finally adjusting it properly.

I echo the sentiments stated above: avoid doing business with Gordon Petersen, Fountain Valley, CA

Edit to add: I did send him an e-mail (back in 2007) with the same pictures as presented here about the shoddy packaging. He apologized and said he would try harder. Wow! I was impressed! NOT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0949A.jpg (115.7 KB, 1224 views)
File Type: jpg dscn0953A.jpg (106.4 KB, 1215 views)
File Type: jpg dscn0959A.jpg (47.0 KB, 1192 views)
File Type: jpg dscn0960A.jpg (69.8 KB, 1216 views)

Last edited by BillLee/Chandler, TX; 03-16-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Straighten up photos insertion. correct spelling, add a bit more content
BillLee/Chandler, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Dave in Boise

My 2 cents on working with folks like this in the past

Send him an email. Politely worded but direct.

State that according to the verbal contract you had on day 'X' his quote to you was 'Y'

Include a timeframe of all attempts to contact him, both email and phone
Include a listing of parts you provided, as well as a summation of the parts that would be required to rebuild the units. Subtract the 2 to show how many of what parts he owes you. Include the pictures you have here in this thread as wel as a market calue on the items in packages and 1/2 market value of items unwrapped as they are used

Be very clear in your demands.
1) Parts Returned postage paid or the appropriate value of the parts not used
2) difference in his charges to you returned *or* or a reciept/build list showing his labor and parts breakdown of what he did.

He may be honest or not. At this will give both of you an even field to attempt an agreement

If the reciept is padded with 'new' parts you do not have in the columns, you know his charachter and intent. If his reciept shows machining or some other difficult, time consuming or expensive process that is verifiable on closer inspection of your items,then you know more about his work and charachter.

Give the benefit of the doubt. He could have had some personal tragedy or crisis causing his manner or actions. Alow him to save face.

Let him know that a certified letter containing a copy of your complaint will be mailed to him in 10 days, and that you will send copies to the organizations on the list below

The lower section fo your email to indicate that you are going to CC:

Minnesota Department Of Consumer Affairs
Minnesota Attourney General
USPS Postal Inspector
California Department of Consumer Affairs
California Attourney General
Ebay - As you used his reputation as a referral
Paypal - if you use dpaypal, or your bank if you wrote him a check. However the $ changed hands
The BBB in his home town
Sherrifs Department in his home town

Take the complaint to his front porch, but above all, be polite, clear and respectful.

You seem pretty level headed in your post.

- Good luck~
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Dave in Boise

Well, it seems Bill has had poor results with him before.. Wish I had seen that before assuming maybe this was a good guy in a bad spot..
Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

If you worked with this guy though EBay, don't they have some kind of "insurance" thing that will get you some kind of a settlement from him?? Don't know for sure about this and it may be hard to work with EBay on something like this.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Dave in Boise

Hmm.. looks like this guy has a rebuilt transmission with 'nos' or top quality original gears.. Not sure I'd call the 1st&reverse gear either with all that pitting on the gear tooth faces..Once that case hardening is breached on a gear, it's like a pot hole in the road, the pits just get bigger as the oil and wear is forced into the pits..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-Orig...item19ce72f271

*sigh*

It is a buyer beware world I suppose, unless I am all wet looking at the pics from the auction..

- Dave
Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
d.j. moordigian

Rusty,

Do you have any photos,....especially the inside?
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
If you worked with this guy though EBay, don't they have some kind of "insurance" thing that will get you some kind of a settlement from him?? Don't know for sure about this and it may be hard to work with EBay on something like this.
Perhaps there is. But 5 years ago I didn't snap to the need. I know better now.

Once burned, not twice with the infamous Mr. Petersen
Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
d.j. moordigian

Bill,

I like the " Rugged shipping box "......from his add!
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
asapguy

Rusty, very sorry to read about your steering column experience. Hopefully someone in his area knows him & will put some pressure on him to do the right thing. The downside is a guy like this probably doesn't have any friends. I do hope you get some type of restitution. Hope you are having better luck with your headliner from your last e-mail sounds like thing were looking up at least with the upholstery. Perry
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
ursus

I had my own such experience with this clown and cannot understand how he ends up with such a good rating on flea-bay. Note that he is always selling "rebuilt" transmissions using the same picture (red rag next to transmission) for all of them. The transmission you get will be nothing like the one pictured and will probably arrive damaged because of negligent packaging. There will be a couple new bearings and the hidden ones will be recycled junk. If you complain, he will respond with some evasive nonsense about how he is just a fellow hobbyist who isn't in it for the money, etc, etc. Don't ask me how I know! After this flaming on Fordbarn, he will probably change his E-bay moniker to something other than "Drew_Magoo".

Like you, I learned a lesson with this jerk. Unfortunately, you could have learned a different and much more gratifying lesson by doing the work yourself. You had carefully accumulated the parts and seem like a capable and conscientious restorer. There is plenty of great help here on Fordbarn if you get into a bind or have a question. One other lesson I learned is do more of the work myself rather than turn it over to self-described schmexperts that will convert your restorables to junk. Try it yourself - you will have more satisfaction and sleep better.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote