Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
spb

Default distributor

I have a 1947 Ford Commercial Truck powered by a 100hp flat head V8 ! I have been expereincing ongoing ignition issue ( back firing, misfiring, loss off power ect.

I have replaced the 6 volt positive ground generator with a 6 volt positive ground alternator and have solved my charging problems, but the afforementioned ignition issues continue. I beleive the problem is in the distributor as the problem seems to happen when the engine gets hot. This is a dual point system and I am unable to set one side as that lobe of the cam is worn.

My question is can I replace a 59A distributor with a 21A crab type distributur this will make it so much easier to work on if this is possible ??

Thanks for your time and advice

Steven in Maine
spb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
OLD...BILL

Default Re: distributor

In an answer YES, and it is a good way to go. There are several rebuilders on the barn with good " we stand behine out stuff " deals..what I would do is replace the front timing cover, with a two bold cover and trade the three bolt cover and dist. to one of our venders, also get a freestanding coil, with your new dist. ... some will tell you just get the coil rebuilt, BUT the hard to work on dist is still where it is...a big pain... OLD...BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

All you have to change is the cap,rotor and clips to hold cap on + a diff gasket for the cap. I have all the parts you need in USA products. Kit is $64 including shipping. ken ct. PM or email
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

I assume your refering to 59A as the 2 pce.cap arrangment of the 45-48 rabbit eared type to the 42 style crab. No need to change timing cover. ken ct.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
TomO

Spb,

Both set of points work off of the same cam and lobes. If you are trying to set your points with a feeler gauge, it is best to remove it from the car. I would have the points and vacuum brake set on a distributor machine by a competent operator.

Your problem sounds more like a defective coil or condenser. Check the spark when the engine is at operating temperatures. You should have a nice blue spark that make a cracking sound at idle.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
spb

I am an amateur, so I am not sure what you mean by the timing cover ! However I beleive the cam is junk, as one set of points can not be ajusted and the timing can not either. So I am lloking for the best fix and to make it as user friendly as possible. I did consider electronic but I have my reservations, an dont want take away to much originality.

Thanks for your time and advice

Steven
Old 07-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
spb

Tom

I have replaced both coil and condensor, installed new points, gap the point in a jig and can not not get one side to ajust. I have thought about going to an old coil with external resistor to see if this makes a diffrence. Just running out of ideas and ready to punt

Thanks for your reply

Steven
Old 07-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

You purchased a cheap set of points and the eccentric hole is made wrong. Call me and i'll explain more. 1-203-260-5945 cell ken ct. Its not the cam but the points.

Last edited by ken ct; 07-16-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
spb

Ken

The points I purchased are Napa Gold ! The timing can not be advances and when manualy turning the rotor it turn very hard.

What would it cost me, for a rebuilt distributor with crab cap ( all set to pop in and use ? And could I reuse the wires that I have they are just like new ?

I would send you my old one as a Core

Please let me know ASAP

Thank You

Steven
Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #10
Hoop

"I have replaced both coil and condensor, installed new points, gap the point in a JIG and can not not get one side to ajust."

Just curious, but what kind of "jig?"

And, as Ken said, there are some miserable points being sold. Last bad set (early 30's) I ran into had a rubbing block way out of spec and would not adjust.

(Too bad you don't live closer. We'd competently set it up on my distributor machine. Safer to send it to Ken though.)

Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Ol' Ron

When dealing with an unknown engine problem iit's best to do a compression test to eliminate any internal problems. This type f problem could be caised by a bad valve.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote