Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
pln0226

Default Newbie with a question!

Hello all! I have a friend who has what he says is a 1953 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley, he said that 6 were made here in the US and 6 more were made in Canada. I didnt really believe him until I saw it and looked at the vin, which is H5324706. I thought these were only made in 54-55, like the Crestline Skyliner. It still has the original flathead, I think this is the last year for that. Does anyone out there know anything about this car? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Patrick

other information from the body tag:

Style CBG 60A
Body #695
AEB 53-630 56-44
pln0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Newbie with a question!

I'm gonna bump this 'cause I wanna know too!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
rotorwrench

I would be a little sceptical about a 53 model 60 F. The 1953 & 1954 models share a lot of the same body parts with the major exception being that 1954 was the transition year for the Y-block engine. FoMoCo really hyped the introduction of the model 60F and did all sorts of testing with it to make sure it wouldn't get too hot inside on those hot summer days. They had to add a green coloring to the acrylic roof to help with that. Due to the green color, they only offered them in yellow and mint green paint schemes. If it was introduced at the begining of the model year for 1954, there is a posibility that prototypes were manufactured on the 1953 planform so they could carry out testing. The Ford archives would be the place to find out for sure.

The model number from the body plate indicates it is a model 60A. A fellow would need the 1953 body parts catalog to check the other numbers.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
ford38v8

If it has the original flathead, it's a '53. Only the Canadian Ford got the flathead in '54, the Canadian Merc got the Y block.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
Brendan

there is a guy hear in Santa Rosa ca that has a green sun valley merc, i don't now what year it is a 53 or 54

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
pln0226

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I would be a little sceptical about a 53 model 60 F. The 1953 & 1954 models share a lot of the same body parts with the major exception being that 1954 was the transition year for the Y-block engine. FoMoCo really hyped the introduction of the model 60F and did all sorts of testing with it to make sure it wouldn't get too hot inside on those hot summer days. They had to add a green coloring to the acrylic roof to help with that. Due to the green color, they only offered them in yellow and mint green paint schemes. If it was introduced at the begining of the model year for 1954, there is a posibility that prototypes were manufactured on the 1953 planform so they could carry out testing. The Ford archives would be the place to find out for sure.

The model number from the body plate indicates it is a model 60A. A fellow would need the 1953 body parts catalog to check the other numbers.
Hello and thanks for the very helpful info! I gather that this is possibly a prototype or test vehicle based on what you said? Very interesting! How would I be able to check with the Ford archives? Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
pln0226

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
If it has the original flathead, it's a '53. Only the Canadian Ford got the flathead in '54, the Canadian Merc got the Y block.
Gotcha! This is definitely the flathead, runs like a champ too!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
OldIron

Recently there was a car seller that had a 53 Ford glasstop. The ad said that it had been "converted". I would guess that there is a better chance that the 53 Merc has been converted using a wrecked 54 than its being a prototype. . . Chuck
OldIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
pln0226

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIron View Post
Recently there was a car seller that had a 53 Ford glasstop. The ad said that it had been "converted". I would guess that there is a better chance that the 53 Merc has been converted using a wrecked 54 than its being a prototype. . . Chuck
This is a possibility that I had considered, too. I would think it would be a rather "simple" thing to do, kinda the opposite of removing the bar from the window of a 63 split window vette to make it look like a newer 64!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pln0226 View Post
Hello all! I have a friend who has what he says is a 1953 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley, he said that 6 were made here in the US and 6 more were made in Canada. I didnt really believe him until I saw it and looked at the vin, which is H5324706. I thought these were only made in 54-55, like the Crestline Skyliner. It still has the original flathead, I think this is the last year for that. Does anyone out there know anything about this car? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Patrick

other information from the body tag:

Style CBG 60A
Body #695
AEB 53-630 56-44
That Vin/serial number doesn't seem to look right for US mfg'd cars.
The first two numbers would be 53 followed by the two letter assy. plant (where it was built) then the serial number followed by an M
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
pln0226

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
That Vin/serial number doesn't seem to look right for US mfg'd cars.
The first two numbers would be 53 followed by the two letter assy. plant (where it was built) then the serial number followed by an M
So it is possibly a Canadian built car, as my friend originally thought it was? Would it have a kph speedo as opposed to mph in this case? I am positive about the vin sequence reading as I wrote, this is getting interesting!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Grandadeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pln0226 View Post
So it is possibly a Canadian built car, as my friend originally thought it was? Would it have a kph speedo as opposed to mph in this case? I am positive about the vin sequence reading as I wrote, this is getting interesting!
I doubt that the Canadian cars had been switched over to kilometers that far back. Wasn't that like a '70s thing?

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
pln0226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandadeo View Post
I doubt that the Canadian cars had been switched over to kilometers that far back. Wasn't that like a '70s thing?

Lee
That is a good question! I actually havent looked at the car to see what it has. You are probably right about it being too old, they didnt start that until later, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!

Patrick
Old 07-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
ford38v8

Patrick, Nobody in their right mind would cut out the bar from a Split Window Corvette! ...Well, I guess if you own a Corvette, you haven't got much grey matter to work with anyway!

My Father bought a low mileage yellow Merc that had a green painted mock sunroof. It was a good paint job too. I've racked my feeble brain but can't remember if it was a '53 or '54.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
Grandadeo

Quote:
Patrick, Nobody in their right mind would cut out the bar from a Split Window Corvette! ....
I help on one that was being customized back in the mid '60s in Western New York and that's exactly what the guy wanted... put a '64 back window in it.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
pln0226

Quote:
Patrick, Nobody in their right mind would cut out the bar from a Split Window Corvette! ...Well, I guess if you own a Corvette, you haven't got much grey matter to work with anyway!

My Father bought a low mileage yellow Merc that had a green painted mock sunroof. It was a good paint job too. I've racked my feeble brain but can't remember if it was a '53 or '54.
Oh I know that! But back in the day when people had to have the newest thing it happened! Unthinkable now but.....So you must think I am really nuts because not only do I have a Corvette (58) but also a Mustang (91) and two DeLoreans. HA! I must be certifiable!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #17
pln0226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandadeo View Post
I help on one that was being customized back in the mid '60s in Western New York and that's exactly what the guy wanted... put a '64 back window in it.

Lee
Thanks for making me look good, Lee!