Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
ersatz

Default Oil Bath Air Cleaner ~ Fits What?

I bought an old Oil Bath Air Cleaner which was said to be for a flathead V8 Ford on a different Forum. When I got it, it didn't fit. The diameter for the carburetor throat measured 3-inches, my Chandler/Grove measures 2-1/2 inches.

Is there a Ford V8 flathead that has a 3-inch carburetor throat? Buyer says it is a "Ford issue". I tend to think not, but I could be wrong. I, of course, am shipping it back for a full refund.

Last edited by ersatz; 06-16-2011 at 04:02 PM.
ersatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
phartman

Default Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner ~ Fits What?

Yup, I ran into the exact same thing. Dunno what the Ebay air cleaner was off of, but it didn't fit the Stromberg I have on my '34. Advertised as a Ford unit. Had to neck it down. It does make a fine addition to the motor, but I was a little steamed that it wasn't exactly as advertised. Wasn't at all as advertised...

Pete
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

FYI all ford-holley,chandler-groves and strombergs have a 2-5/8 size neck on them NOT 2-1/2. check it again. ken ct. except the 6 cyl fords which might be 2-1/2 i know their smaller than the V8's.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
ersatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
FYI all ford-holley,chandler-groves and strombergs have a 2-5/8 size neck on them NOT 2-1/2. check it again. ken ct. except the 6 cyl fords which might be 2-1/2 i know their smaller than the V8's.
Ken ~ Thanks for the confirmation! I was looking at MAC's V8 FORD (1932-47 Pickup) catalog pages illustrating the various carburetors. I believe there is a very good chance the air cleaner I had was meant for a 1951-1952 Holley84-8RT (8 cylinder) carb. The tightening collar is a very close match to the 84-8RT throat design.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
ersatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by phartman View Post
Yup, I ran into the exact same thing. Dunno what the Ebay air cleaner was off of, but it didn't fit the Stromberg I have on my '34. Advertised as a Ford unit. Had to neck it down. It does make a fine addition to the motor, but I was a little steamed that it wasn't exactly as advertised. Wasn't at all as advertised...

Pete
There is no way I could neck this one down. Because the throat clamp/collar was made for a horizontal "V" attachment much like the Holley84-8RT carburetor.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
There is no way I could neck this one down. Because the throat clamp/collar was made for a horizontal "V" attachment much like the Holley84-8RT carburetor.
No such # as 84 holley its a 94. A pass top with straight sides can be swapped for the truck one Providing the carb DOESN'T have the HIGH nozzle bars in it. You would still have to make a suitable neck adaptor for it. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
ersatz

You're right Ken! I overlooked the 94 designation along with Model 7RT. At least that's what MAC's catalog shows.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
oldrodder

did you find a breather? i have an original off my 46 truck . it has a 2 5/8 neck in good shape.
oldrodder is offline   Reply With Quote