Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: pressurizing the radiator...

Before I installed Skip's 3# valve, there was no correct coolant level that I could find that would prevent water loss. As more and more water escaped the temperature would go higher and higher until it reached the boil over point. Maybe a recovery tank would have stopped this, I don't really know. I also know that rust/crud build-up in the pressure release valve will prevent it's proper function.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #22
G.M.

JM one has to install the valve with the red dot up toward the radiator so the valve is working in the proper dirrection. Installed upside down the valve will be closed at all times blocking the over flow pipe. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRESSURE VALVE 2.jpg (18.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #23
JM 35 Sedan

George, my check valve is working well with only a few visible drips of coolant after a long run at 50-60 MPH at 90° + temps. I also recently installed a nice NOS '35 radiator cap that I bought from a fellow Fordbarner. I drove my '35 fordor ~ 200 mile on the tour at Saratoga Springs with no problems. I am planning to remove the check valve and make sure it's clean internally before heading to Auburn next month. I really do not want to install a recovery tank on an original rouge class car.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-16-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #24
G.M.

I see no need for a recovery tank as you also descovered. It is best to run the engine WITH THE CAP REMOVED until the engine warms up to about 150 degrees. This gets rid of all the air in the system. keep topping off the coolant as it warms and fill up to the neck. With the valve or a working pressure cap and no compression leaks the coolant remains at that level for months. G.M.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #25
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Unhappy Re: pressurizing the radiator...

I know a check valve is less intrusive than a over flow tank put on a Rouge class car but it still a modification I have found a over flow tank works two .These are all fixes for a poorly functioning system .as in my car that has 20 od less tubs than what Ford put in .This is not a put down of Skips valve it obviously works as well.On a modern car if you top up the water it will dump water into the over flow tank after it gets hot .When it cools of it sucks it back insuring that it is always full .This system is used universally .They obviously did the R&D . in saying that you will still need to top up occasionally .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
George, my check valve is working well with only a few visible drips of coolant after a long run at 50-60 MPH at 90° + temps. I also recently installed a nice NOS '35 radiator cap that I bought from a fellow Fordbarner. I drove my '35 fordor ~ 200 mile on the tour at Saratoga Springs with no problems. I am planning to remove the check valve and make sure it's clean internally before heading to Auburn next month. I really do not want to install a recovery tank on an original rouge class car.

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #26
G.M.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
You can't compare modern cars with the old Fords. They are made to run at much higer temperatures which makes higher pressures. You won't find a radiator with large flat sides on a newer car like the old Ford radiators the higher pressures would puff the sides out and cause damage. G.M.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #27
flatjack9

I run my 39 at 190 deg with an original radiator and have no problems with overheating. I do not fill it to the top of the neck and do not have to add water. I keep the core covered.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #28
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
I run my 39 at 190 deg with an original radiator and have no problems with overheating. I do not fill it to the top of the neck and do not have to add water. I keep the core covered.
Are you running a pressure cap? If so, how many #'s?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #29
flatjack9

No pressure cap. On my 39 radiator, the overflow comes off the top tank, so I couldn't use a pressure cap unless I altered my filler neck. I've driven this car for 17 - 18 years now with no problems. I did install a fan shroud as the crank driven fan didn't move enough air if I was in a parade or heavy traffic. This is a 276 inch engine. Had the car out today to a car show about 25 miles away. 94 deg out and the engine ran at 190 just like always.

Last edited by flatjack9; 07-17-2011 at 08:55 PM.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #30
Ian NZ

I have a 3lb Skips valve on the overflow pipe of my radiator and I had Bars leaks in the radiator and it blocked the Skips valve and the radiator overpressured and it blew a hole in it. Now before I go on a run I check on the overflow pipe with the valve to make sure it is clear.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #31
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

A 21 stud pre 37 differs from the 24 stud in that It took Ford a while to realise that since the 21 stud was sucking the water through the block as opposed to the 24 stud.pushing the water through ,that is it was building in a low vacuum component ,As a pressurised system increases the boiling point so you get the opposite affect with a low pressure one as in the pre 37 it decreases the boiling point .in a 24 Stud you get a back up of pressure at the thermostat ,this increases the boiling point .This hard to replicate in the early motor ,you get the top tank pressurising but then it goes out the over flow ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote