Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
Henry Hopper

Default Fitting juice to a `32

I have a full set of rebuilt `40`s juice brakes that I am contemplating fitting to my stock 32 roadster.Is there any problem fitting these brakes to the rear end..it is an early type V8 deluxe car with the early model B axle...I don`t want to start changing out the rear axle if at all possible.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: Fitting juice to a `32

Henry
Contact (here or email) Richard Lacy @ EarlyV8garage. [email protected]. He'll get you set up and has all the correct answers to your questions
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Matt in Alameda

Richard Lacy has all the parts and verbal instruction as well, however there is a "how to" booklet by Vern Tardel that covers hydraulic conversions on old fords with a special section on the '32. It sells on e-bay as well as places like Mac's Antique Auto.....Richard sold me the parts, but the book and it's pictures gave me the confidence to do the job on my '35. Good luck,....Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Richard (EV8G)

The 40 rear brakes are a "bolt-on" to the B rear end (or to the 18 rear) with no need to modify anything. Even though the internals in the B rear are the same as Model A, there is not the problem with interference between the drum and brake plate and shoes as with the A rear, and of course no spring hangers in the way... much easier.

For the master cylinder setup, mine uses the original unmodified pedals and
no drilling cutting or welding required, and no need to relocate the battery or
do any other bad stuff that is typically required with other methods...

Thanks Jim and Matt!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
denson1932

i did this years ago i had to weld up the mounting holes in the juice backing plates and grind them flush then re-drill new holes to match the '32 B trumpets flange holes. possibly this is because i used 46-48 backing plates instead of 39-42 backing plates??
denson1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denson1932 View Post
i did this years ago i had to weld up the mounting holes in the juice backing plates and grind them flush then re-drill new holes to match the '32 B trumpets flange holes. possibly this is because i used 46-48 backing plates instead of 39-42 backing plates??
39-42 and 46-48 Ford brakes have the same bolt pattern. You may be confusing the fronts, which do not directly fit the 32 (32-36) spindles. There are adaptor kits for that, one a cheapo piston rings and valve seats for spacing the plate center hole and inner wheel bearing, or the one I have that has a flange with integral spacer for the brake plate large center hole to downsize to the the 32 (32-36) spindle, and actual proper bearing spacers for 32-most 35's; 36's do not require the bearing spacers... and some 35's do not.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #7
Henry Hopper

Thanks fellas,it was the rears that I was unsure of...I think I`ve got the other bits figured out.I have a set of round back spindles for the front, so hopefully that will make the job easier..all the original 32 stuff is getting mothballed..just in case I ever decide to go back to stock....every time I change things on the car I have serious guilt issues and can only salve my conscience by stashing the parts and not changing anything that can`t be rectified.
Thanks again for you input.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:14 AM   #8
Mart

Richard, Your kit for the 32.. Is it compatible with right hand drive? Henry's 32 is a rhd model.

Henry - (I know it's you, Nige) do you have the 40-48 style rear hubs and drums? you need these, but then would need the spacer rings to run wires. If you are using steels, obviously they will bolt up to a 40's hub, as that was the original application.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #9
Henry Hopper

Hi Mart, yes, I`ve got the full set of brakes including backing plates,drums,hubs etc....I realise about the spacer ring for wires but I`m running steels so it would be ok....it`s the fitment issue of the steel wheels on the 32 hub/drum combo that has set me off thinking out the swap over...as well as a hopefully improved braking system..lol.It all depends on whether the car sells first..I have a guy coming over next Sunday to view it..if it does not go this time I will go ahead with the changes...I`m tired of dealing with time wasters on this sale .

(btw, I guess I should have put a small "h" on Hopper...it`s meant to be Henry hopper..but hey , I can hardly peck out a message let alone alter avatars/user name thingys.)
Old 07-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
denson1932

Yes you are correct Richard on the rear 39-48 backing plates a bolt-up but after crawling under i see the reason i had to fill and re-drill backing plates is because i wanted the wheel cylinders to be level not tilted. oh did i mention i had swapped the "B" trumpets side-to side to get the car lower (spring perches get upside down but it does work).
denson1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Richard (EV8G)

Richard, Your kit for the 32.. Is it compatible with right hand drive? Henry's 32 is a rhd model.

I only have one for LHD. I need a set of RHD 32 pedals to buy or borrow so can make one for RHD...