Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Admiral

Default Steering Gears

I'm thinking of rebuilding the steering box in my '36 this winter and was wondering if modern worm-and-sector components are any good. I imagine they're subject to A LOT of stress while turning the wheels; if the metal has been improperly hardened you're just asking for trouble.

Who has first-hand experience with these new parts that are available today? Are they any good or should I look for NOS? Given the questionable quality of many reproduction components I figured it'd be best to ask before investing hundreds of dollars.

Thanks!
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Steering Gears

You are better off upgrading to a 37 or later unless you are wanting to keep it 100% orginal.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
rotorwrench

NOS would be my choice for an OEM early Gemmer design. These things do wear out but with limited driving the parts will last a long time. A can't speak for the new restoration parts. If they are manufactured with good materials, they should be OK but performing a Brinell or Rockwell hardness test would be the only way I know of to check the sector and worm and that is not easy to do on some parts. It would have to be checked against an original part to know if they are different. A person doesn't want to damage their new parts.

The 37 to 39 Gemmer II designs have been adapted to the earlier cars for years since they have the light switch function on the bottom end like the early ones. The roller sector gear smooths things out a good bit in steering functionality.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
You are better off upgrading to a 37 or later unless you are wanting to keep it 100% orginal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
NOS would be my choice for an OEM early Gemmer design. These things do wear out but with limited driving the parts will last a long time. A can't speak for the new restoration parts. If they are manufactured with good materials, they should be OK but performing a Brinell or Rockwell hardness test would be the only way I know of to check the sector and worm and that is not easy to do on some parts. It would have to be checked against an original part to know if they are different. A person doesn't want to damage their new parts.

The 37 to 39 Gemmer II designs have been adapted to the earlier cars for years since they have the light switch function on the bottom end like the early ones. The roller sector gear smooths things out a good bit in steering functionality.
Thanks, guys. I've considered going with a '37 and up box but have read about certain fitment issues relating to shaft length and column angle, plus I have a set of Red's headers on the car, which could cause even more trouble. Generally, I think the '36 steering is for the most part OK. I wish there was an easy way to swap a roller in there instead of the standard sector...
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
blucar

The '37-40 steering gear box into a '35-36 is a piece of cake. the only problem is the frame mount which has to be 37-40. You will need the '37-40 pitman arm. The steering shaft is the same length.
I have had '40 steering gears in my '36 since 1955.