Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
35fordtn

Default young people in the hobby

Maybe this has been discussed before ... maybe not. I was just wandering other ideas to get the young people into the hobby of restoration and preservation of early fords. I am only 23 and enjoy it very much and for me the hold back has always been money and the costs (i.e. Rebuilding a flathead)
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
TonyM

Default Re: young people in the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Maybe this has been discussed before ... maybe not. I was just wandering other ideas to get the young people into the hobby of restoration and preservation of early fords. I am only 23 and enjoy it very much and for me the hold back has always been money and the costs (i.e. Rebuilding a flathead)
Since you are 23 and seem to be genuinely interested in preserving and restoring old Fords, you would appear to be the ideal ambassador for the hobby when it comes to the younger crowd.

TM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
Russ/40

We need more people your age to be preserving these cars as the hotrod community has taken a particular interest in Model "A"s of late. The 32's are breaking the hotrod bank and with the fabrication of 32 rails, many "A" bodies are ending up on them. It is an expensive process that costs more than the cars are worth by the time your done. Best of you have a long list of skills that brings the price down somewhat.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
Lawrie

I have a few old fords 28, 33 and 34,
My youngest son is currently using the Model A as his every day transport for the last 3 months.
Other son who is older 32 and just married and working long hrs is going to go away for a weekend in the 33 and camper trailer, he has never driven the old cars before.
I told him just check the water and oil each morning and travel at 50mph and enjoy it,
We also have a nephew come to live in our town ,they have two kids ,9 and 10, who just LOVE riding in the model A and 33.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
jim1932

I think a BIG part of it is getting these cars out where people can see them. Too many of these cars are locked away in garages and only go to car shows where other car people enjoy them. We start seeing more working age people driving these cars to work or social activities and talking about them and more people will realize what a great hobby it is. Too many think it costs way more than it does and are afraid of screwing up a car that is worth lots of money (this is the impression, not the reality). A model A or many of the cars in the 30's -54 are readily available and many are not outrageously priced.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
Vic Piano

Interest in antique car restoration/preservation, like any other hobby/avocation (as I see it) comes primarily from two sources, outside influence and your own interest. I’ve always had an interest in cars, Flatheads in particular, for as long as I can remember and I definitely got my love of convertibles from my dad. Unlike my father, whose interest in automobiles was purely astatic, I’ve always had an interest/curiosity with respect to what makes cars/trucks run. As a result, I’ve had a long lasting love/hate relationship with our collection of flatheads and other “old cars/trucks”. I bought my first car, a 1948 Ford Tudor Sedan in 1965, when I was 16, and I’ve been playing with them all these years. My son (who’ll be 37 in October) has never had an interest in my old cars but my 31 year old daughter has always shown an interest.
The old adage is true, “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink”. Unless someone, anyone, young or old has a thirst, you can’t make them an enthusiast. The good news is; there will always be enthusiast willing to share their affinity for and knowledge of “old cars/trucks with anyone that shows an interest. Vic
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
danliveshere

Vic I agree with what you say. I loved my 35 roadster the very first time I saw it at age 18 . I first heard about it at age 16 when I overheard a conversation between 2 old timers..... and the car was 500 miles from home but I tracked it down at age 18 and took 12 months to convince the owner to sell to me. My point is all my enthusiasm, persistance, determination and I even had to get a bank loan to buy it. But that was me...... all my friends thought I was nuts to trailer a car home that cost so much and didn't have a motor or transmission. You cannot make somebody become an enthusiast in our hobby, they have to do that on their own, but if the cars are not out there for the public to get the opportunity then they may never get that chance. Where was I when I overheard that conversation in 1982....??? At a vintage car rally with no vintage cars in our family at all.

Last edited by danliveshere; 05-26-2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Add a date
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
TJ

It's incumbent on us old guys to help those young people when we see they have an interest in old cars. Give them a part they need, give them your knowledge when they need it, help them find an entry level car,and invite them on a tour or a run. Don't be critical of the car they drive if it's not bone stock. A young guy with a molded hood and trunk on a 53 Ford is not a butcher, he's just another car guy. Make them feel welcome in the group or event. JMHO
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
saints

Im 32 now but have always loved cars...I seen the neatest thing at a car show there was a older man who had a model a with bumps aand faded paint and he was letting kids and adults set in the car and evan start it from time to time.....he was really drawing a crowd and the kids couldnt get enough of it....That will stick with them and they will have a intrest if not then but down the road so offer to start it pop the hood let them in...it will spark intrest it the hobby
Old 05-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
Jason in TX

I'm 35. I initially thought that all there was to do was hot rod shows. When I got my first car, I was invited to go along on a restorers drive. I saw that it was a lot of fun to drive the old car. A lot of hot rod shows just park and sit, so sometimes that is not as fun. I have found that what I like is really working on the old car, driving it all the time and doing things with it. I now have a hot rod and two restored cars. The frustrating thing to me is when I go around the older bunch and get snubbed for owning a hot rod, even though I have a couple restored cars.

Basically, everyone wants to have a good time with their free time. If a young person, even a "hot rodder" comes around your group, talk to them. Laugh with them. Seem interesting. If you shun them, or wonder what they are doing there, the are going to perceive that the restorer guys are no fun, and go back and hang out with the younger hot rodder guys, who are usually socializing more. If you show them that you are a fun group that does fun things (fun to the young person, no quilting lessons or 3 hour seminars on the history of stamp collecting, etc) then they will want to spend their time with the group. Fun things are workshops, wrenching on the old cars. Going for drives, and even having the occasional park, talk and tire kick get togethers. Turn on some 50s music, park the restored cars in a parking lot, talk, and then drive to go get a hamburger and then head home.

Another thing to remember about young people is that they are new to the hobby. They are asking questions that may seem like no brainer questions, but they have never done it before. BE PATIENT with the questions they ask that you know by heart. DONT become the "I know it all because I've been there done that" person. No one likes a know it all, even a person who doesn't know yet. Keep it light hearted. Share info when people ask for it. You don't have to save the young people from making any mistakes by imparting all your wisdom. Trial and error are key in education.

Also, The demographic you want to focus on in the younger crowd is probably going to be of driving age. I have heard people say that there needs to be a younger crowd and will focus on grandkids and children in the club. There will be more little kids activities to involve the young people. Kids don't drive cars, can't afford to buy cars, and 20s - 30s people who don't have their own kids don't want to hang out at kids events. Just a thought there.

Last edited by Jason in TX; 05-26-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
38 coupe

I'm 30 and have been in the old car hobby since birth. I still have not been able to convince any of my similar age friends to get an old car. I think there are several reasons why people near my age don't get into restoring flatheads. The big ones are familiarity, availability, afford ability, and the fact that going for a nice drive as a recreational activity is something almost noone my age has ever considered, much less done. I don't drive my cars as much as I'd like because it is not much fun to drive in a large city.

Last edited by 38 coupe; 05-30-2011 at 08:41 AM.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
phartman

Yup, you younger guys are right on here in your comments. We older fellas need to remember to be patient, encourage your early efforts, and show some enthusiasm and gratitude for your interest. Thanks for the reminders.We sometimes forget.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
39portlander

Quote:
Like I did when I just got my licese, 3 of us pitched in and bought the vehicle. We all worked on it together, split the expense 3 ways and even worked out equal driving time. Things alittle different today than in the 70's when I learned my mechanic/driving skills, We had both parent's who made it work. Mom's with the lectures, Dad's with the lessons
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
35fordtn

I started this thread to see if there are other younger people as much in the hobby. I am glad there is. Some may not be the "original purist" like i am but any interest is great. I get along with street rodders and even rat rodders because they help with with the small original parts that they pull off of cars. I do not personally like to see a car cut up, but they are still old car guys. I enjoy this forum and many of my older friends in the hobby to learn all the tips and experienced advice they have to offer. I can only hope the cars/parts and the hobby itself is around in forty years when i am in my sixties.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
Rowdy
BANNED

I started in the hobbie when I was 13, that was 27 years ago. I might still be considered in the younger half in the bobbie, but not by alot. Take the time to listen to the people that have been in the hobbie for a long time, alot can be learned and they wont be around forever. Getting people your age interested in old cars is very hard. Up until my freinds hit their mid 30's they acted like I was nuts for not building muscle cars or hotrods. Now they call me daily to ask questions for the whats and the hows. More into Model A than Flathead V8's, but read this forum to learn almost daily. Rod
Old 05-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
alanwoodieman

I have been into flatheads for 40 years, was into 57 Chev's in high school, then Camaro's, then had a 68 Olds 442, still have a 68 Olds Cutlas, but drive a 41 truck every chance I get, almost dailey, drive a 40 woodie on tours and club meetings a few times a month--my flatheads still get the best conversations started. I think the price of the cars/parts hold guys back-not many young guys/gals have the skills to restore a part, just want to buy a repro and be done with it. I may not have a 1000 pt. show car but I do have "bugs on the grill" See YOU down the road!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #17
38 coupe

Quote:
... I can only hope the cars/parts and the hobby itself is around in forty years when i am in my sixties.
I wonder about this myself. Look on the bright side. If purist like us are the only people our age currently interested in flatheads, we get to direct the newcomers later on. Maybe we can help slow the flow of original cars being cut up / modified. Not that I don't get along with most modified car folks, but it still bothers me to see a decent restorable (or restored) car modified.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #18
alm35

It's good to see some other folks my age doing this. I'm 31 and just now getting into the hobby. I bought a '35 5 Window Coupe a while back, and it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who prefers old flatheads over muscle cars!
alm35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
47COE

At an antique air show some years ago a young boy who was fascinated by planes was admiring a WW2 fighter. The owner/pilot of the plane invited the boy to sit in the cockpit. That boy will probably never forget that.

Remembering that, I try to encourage people to sit in the drivers seat of my truck at shows. Doesn't cost me anything and it may recruit a new enthusiast.

At an Early V8 club meeting one time, a guy said when he joined 20 years ago he was one of the youngest members in the club. Today, he is still one of the youngest members in the club.

Tom
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #20
Chris

I'm 30 and have been around early Fords since Birth. I am now full speed into several projects, along with a lot of my friends. I think the money is the key part...this has come and expensive hobby.

Heres me and my Dad. He got started with T's, moved to A's and now has a FULL HOUSE of Early V8's