Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
Oakhurst

Default How to post pictures

Sorry for my lack of computer skill. Can anyone direct me? Tried
several times and had no luck.
Oakhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: How to post pictures

The problem is most likely the size of the photo you are attempting to load, there is a size limit. Different formats have different limits, jpg is limited to about 580 Kb. Check the size of your photo by right clicking on it and selecting properties at the bottom of the drop-down menu. If the photo is too big you will need to use a program to reduce the size, I use Microsoft Office Photo Manager, but a lot of other programs will work.

If the photo is the correct size or smaller then under Quick Reply select Go Advanced and there will be a paperclip on the top menu bar. Click the paperclip and a pop-up menu will come up. On the pop-up menu select Browse, use Browse to locate the photo file on your computer and select the file (you can select multi photos by using Browse several times). After all the photos you want are selected, press Upload. Wait for Upload to complete and then go back to Post Quick Reply and select.

Sounds like a lot, but it is fairly simple once you do it once or twice. There is also a practice section on the top bar menu.

Last edited by JSeery; 11-26-2015 at 03:41 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
mercman from oz

This is how I Post Pictures to Ford Barn. I have 2 Screens, which makes life easier for me. All my Photos are stored in my External Hard Drive, which I have displayed on my Second Screen. First, I choose the Photo that I want to post and click "email". I then have a choice of 5 sizes. For photos that I have taken, I use "large" as "full size" is way too big for posting. An email will come up reading for sending, but I don't send it, this is just my tool for getting the photo. When the new email is open, I drag the little "photo icon" to my main screen. Then you can simple delete the email, as you now have the photos that you want saved. Now, you can post the picture. Go to the Thread that you want to add the picture to and hit "Post Reply". A Drop Box like shown above will appear. Then go to "Manage Attachments" and another smaller Drop Box will appear. So that you can see the small picture icon on the main screen, I reduce the size of the background, and drag the picture icon to the top line where it says "Choose File". You can actually add up to 7 photos. Add your comments, and then Preview the photos and what you have commented. If you are happy, hit "Submit Reply". This way works for me and is an alternative method to what JSeery has suggested. You need to choose what works best for you.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
RalphM

I don't know, I have the same issues, I go through all the motions and the last screen when you close the window, it doesn't work. I have no trouble posting pictures to the HAMB, but it's impossible to post them on the BARN.
Kinda strange considering the same moderator.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I don't know, I have the same issues, I go through all the motions and the last screen when you close the window, it doesn't work. I have no trouble posting pictures to the HAMB, but it's impossible to post them on the BARN.
Kinda strange considering the same moderator.
Have you checked the photo size, that is the major thing that hangs the image up at the last step. Anyone who's interested can email me a photo they are having a problem posting and I can check it out. I have had several people in the past email me photos and I have always been able to post them. [email protected]
Old 11-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The problem is most likely the size of the photo you are attempting to load, there is a size limit. Different formats have different limits, jpg is limited to about 580 Kb. Check the size of your photo by right clicking on it and selecting properties at the bottom of the drop-down menu. If the photo is too big you will need to use a program to reduce the size, I use Microsoft Office Photo Manager, but a lot of other programs will work.

If the photo is the correct size or smaller then under Quick Reply select Go Advanced and there will be a paperclip on the top menu bar. Click the paperclip and a pop-up menu will come up. On the pop-up menu select Browse, use Browse to locate the photo file on your computer and select the file (you can select multi photos by using Browse several times). After all the photos you want are selected, press Upload. Wait for Upload to complete and then go back to Post Quick Reply and select.

Sounds like a lot, but it is fairly simple once you do it once or twice. There is also a practice section on the top bar menu.
Quote:
Have you checked the photo size, that is the major thing that hangs the image up at the last step. Anyone who's interested can email me a photo they are having a problem posting and I can check it out. I have had several people in the past email me photos and I have always been able to post them. [email protected]
Don't think that the photo size is an issue.
This photo was selected at it's full 6.4meg size and the formatting program within the upload section reduced it for display.
It just took longer to load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (115.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Could be, but I've always had problems with an oversize photo. Everytime someone has problems posting and I have reduced the size they post easily, but can't disagree with success!
Old 11-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #8
51 MERC-CT

These are the seven steps that have worked for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict.jpg (48.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Don't think that the photo size is an issue.
This photo was selected at it's full 6.4meg size and the formatting program within the upload section reduced it for display.
It just took longer to load.
Quote:
Could be, but I've always had problems with an oversize photo. Everytime someone has problems posting and I have reduced the size they post easily, but can't disagree with success!
Hi Everyone, I don't know for sure, but I think the forum (upload) software may have been adjusted. According to some of my experiments, it now takes any size photo you select, and resizes the pixel dimensions to fit the size limits. Like 51 MERC-CT, I found this to be true with some of the over-sized .JPG files that I've tried in the last couple of months.

I say HURRAY!

For those looking to resize before uploading, I learned that the PAINT program included in all versions of Windows can resize to specific pixel dimensions, like the forum software dictates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (42.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.JPG (35.7 KB, 7 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
Ross F-1

The "Upload" button in the dialog box is frequently not visible unless you scroll down, sometimes I forget to hit it.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
The "Upload" button in the dialog box is frequently not visible unless you scroll down, sometimes I forget to hit it.
The 'upload' button is within the small 'Manage attachments' box next to the 'Browse' buttons. Can't visualize why you would have to scroll anywhere to find it.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
Ross F-1

Because the dialog box for Managing Attachments never opens full-size on my screen