Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 AM   #1
flatheadfan

Default Temperature Warning!

I just checked the temperature in my barn where I have several cars (West Michigan). Using a thermal gun I got readings of -15.F on the engines. This is getting close to my antifreeze protection level. As I understand, it is suppose to get even colder over the next few days. If you also live it the "tundra" zone it probably wouldn't hurt to recheck things. There could be a lot of downside if you don't.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:32 AM   #2
bpgoll

Default Re: Temperature Warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
I just checked the temperature in my barn where I have several cars (West Michigan). Using a thermal gun I got readings of -15.F on the engines. This is getting close to my antifreeze protection level. As I understand, it is suppose to get even colder over the next few days. If you also live it the "tundra" zone it probably wouldn't hurt to recheck things. There could be a lot of downside if you don't.

Tom
Thank you for the information you provide here sir

bpgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
flatjack9

I've got a friend who keps his car in his heated garage with no anti freeze in it. You guessed it, the furnace failed and he ended up with a cracked block - both pan rails. My cars are in a heated garage, but always get anti-freeze in the winter.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
tubman

I have my cars in an insulated storage building with no heat 20 miles NORTH of Brainerd, MN. I am in Florida for the winter, and when I saw the forecast for low temps near -30 (no, not wind chill), I had a friend check my unit regularly. He says he has never seen below zero temperatures inside the building, which is only about 5 years old. I've known him about 40 years, so I think I can trust him. Gives you something to think about, though.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
I just checked the temperature in my barn where I have several cars (West Michigan). Using a thermal gun I got readings of -15.F on the engines. This is getting close to my antifreeze protection level...........Tom

A 50/50 (Prestone) mix should be good for -34 degrees.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
Shadetree

Last fall I checked my cars anti-freeze with a new cheap pocket tester and found my `35 checked around +15 degrees. I had to drain some coolant out to make room for new anti-freeze. I saved a cup of the old anti-freeze and for grins I put it in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator I have in the garage. I didn't check but assumed (yeah I know) the temp is maintained at around zero. The anti-freeze in the cup never did freeze or even turn mushy.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I have my cars in an insulated storage building with no heat 20 miles NORTH of Brainerd, MN. I am in Florida for the winter, and when I saw the forecast for low temps near -30 (no, not wind chill), I had a friend check my unit regularly. He says he has never seen below zero temperatures inside the building, which is only about 5 years old. I've known him about 40 years, so I think I can trust him. Gives you something to think about, though.
Unless there is a heat source somewhere in the building, the insulation will just slow the drop to outside temperature. How much antifreeze are you running?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
4tford

Wow you guys are having a heat wave. -41 here tonight and wind chill of -55 to - 60
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tford View Post
Wow you guys are having a heat wave. -41 here tonight and wind chill of -55 to - 60
That just ain't right it's not fit for man nor Flathead alike!!!
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
tubman

Ross,

I am running 50/50, so I should be OK. They have had a couple of days in the '30's there last week, so that should help. I would think that if the insulation is any good at all and the building is well sealed, the temperature inside should never get much below the average daily outside temp, which is about 12 degrees this time of year.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
Last fall I checked my cars anti-freeze with a new cheap pocket tester and found my `35 checked around +15 degrees. I had to drain some coolant out to make room for new anti-freeze. I saved a cup of the old anti-freeze and for grins I put it in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator I have in the garage. I didn't check but assumed (yeah I know) the temp is maintained at around zero. The anti-freeze in the cup never did freeze or even turn mushy.
Had to recheck your message. Thought you said you saved a cup of old anti freeze for "gins"....glad I rechecked it. First day of autumn here down at the ass end of the world and it is not warm. They say it will be colder than normal so after having a "warm winter" last year reckon we could be in for a colder one this year. Suppose we can be thankful it doesn't reach the sub zero temps you folk get.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
My fridge/freezer runs at 20 below.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
peewee2you

If you have a U-Haul company nearby, they have these relatively cheap mover blankets, you could drape them over the engine and tuck them down the sides of the engines, at this point nothing can hurt a little extra care. Uhaul furniture blanket pad 68" x 85" $7.95. These are the blue ones, a few years back also had these other ones gray in color were even cheaper but good for cold, I used them to cover my pool equipt. outside during a cold snap, probably no where near as cold as you are encountering, but like I said, can't hurt.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

As Ross said above, insulation and blankets will only slow-down the movement of heat molecules toward the colder outside temps. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
Lawrie

I feel for you folks in the cold weather, temp here today 30 deg C,over night in the shed 24 C.
In mid winter the coldest ever was 6.5 Deg C overnight.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #16
36tbird

Hmmm, let me guess, the majority on here has negative ideas about global warming issues, right?
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #17
4tford

global warming is in reverse up here. The cold is not so bad but the wind chill is a Killer
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #18
Talkwrench

It's 100 here in Perth today.. Hot damn hot! I shall be lounging in the pool..
Old 02-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #19
James Rogers

If your storage has electricity, try hanging an incandescent light bulb under the engine and cover the hood with blankets. I have seen temps. of -5 with this and the plain water didn't freeze.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote