Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #21
41ford1

Default Re: What is the HAMB site

German,
Amen!

I visit 3 forums alot, Fordbarn, EarlyV8 and the HAMB. All of them are an excellent source of info and entertainment. They are all good. Take for instance Brian Bass's travels in his Hemi power A coupe. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=499343

That is definately a bucket list event. It's all about the cars and sharing of information.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #22
hombres ruin

I am in two minds.I detest the tough guy attitude of the hamb.I got an infringement for no reason other then some guy misinterpreted what i said and went off and reported me,low and behold the admin didnt really give a crap and wouldnt listen and told me "its just the hamb get over it".Well if "its just the hamb" why issue infringements in the first place.It was this crap that soured my experience.I like ford bard alot because its down to earth,sensible and free of the bullying attitude of the hamb police.And when you ask a question you get a sensible answer,and at times thats hard to find on the hamb.The hamb at times becomes a place to gloat,bash and be a keyboard warrior.YES i know i have the choice to leave etc,but i hope it gets better with some new blood,i have hope.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #23
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post

Hey German,
Hitler may be a popular topic for you to discuss, but how about leaving your Hitler politics at home, or on the HAMB? It is not needed here.
That's a very poor statement to make...regarding the HAMB...the HAMB doesn't tolerate political, racial, religious slants...sure, you might catch a thread with 50 replies before the mods delete it or lock it, but with 80,000 (probably more by now) members, the pages move pretty fast there.

I agree with your sentiments, but making it seem like the HAMB is the place to take those types of opinions is just plain wrong.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #24
296 V8
BANNED

forever4
That’s quite the chip you have there for the HAMB. Just how is it you came by that.
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #25
bonesy

I get my HAMB "stuff" from the HAMB.

I get my Fordbarn "stuff" from the Fordbarn.

Happiness is attempting not to make one the other, and ignoring the distracters on both.
bonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:30 AM   #26
JunkOSC

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
JunkOSC.... you nailed it man. I couldn't have said it better.
I cant take credit for that. Thats from the boss, I copied and pasted that from the HAMB site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesy View Post

Happiness is attempting not to make one the other, and ignoring the distracters on both.
Bingo! It's as simple as that. I'm grateful we have these resources. Thank you to those that contribute in a positive manner!!
JunkOSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #27
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesy View Post

Amen to that!
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #28
Frank The Plumber

Forever4;
The problem I have with your blanket statement is this:
A poster asked the question, a fellow knowledge seeking adventurer, like the question could be posed " Hey Christopher, what do you think lies over the horizon towards the setting sun?" The answer to that question is " A new and different world full of strange and fascinating things, a world that may be difficult and unfamiliar, a world of unknown consequences, a world full of the single most important thing to excite the mind of man, new experiences, go forth and explore, go forth and experience, bring back those things which will enrich your knowledge and amplify your passion for life"
What kind of a place would it be if he said " You go about six miles and then you fall off into a giant pile of duck crap, better off staying home watching OCC, Jersey shore, and seinfeld reruns on tbs.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #29
345 DeSoto

Just to throw some more gasoline on the bonfire, I don't believe there IS such a thing as a "Traditional" Hot Rod. However, I believe people are confusing "traditional" with "period correct". I've been at this hot rod thing for over 50 years, my very first car being a 32 Ford roadster that I bought for $15 and "hacked" a DeSoto engine/3speed into. All through the decades, if someting "new and improved" appeared, it would be tried in a hot rod. After all, that's how hot rods became what they were. Alternators, OHV engines, automatic transmissions, Radial tires, Vega steering, etc, etc. To me, a "traditional" hot rod is always being modified to operate better...a "period correct" hot rod is one that is frozen in a particular time. Getting wrapped around the axle about what's "traditional" and what isn't is a waste of band width. Take both Sites with a grain of salt, and enjoy them for what the both are. BOTH are wealth of knowledge...
Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #30
Frank The Plumber

I want to add a bit of perspective, What kind of a place has a story about a guy who found a deuce that was bullet riddled, missing every part, missing every panel, the guy saves it and makes it into an auto mobile again, a damn fine auto mobile, he drives it from Texas to Seattle alone, goes to Bonneville and helps work on a record setting car. What kind of a place posts an alert that an old truck is stolen, networks together and recovers the truck. What kind of a place is home to a guy named elpolacko who shows us how to reproduce the front firewall section in stamped steel in his shop. Where can you go step by step in making your own stainless trim. Where can you go for a ride, Search "come, go for a ride." in a guys car and listen to his little engine purr and bubble. If you go on a cross country trip in your ride, where can you find a group of guys who will lodge you, feed you, help you fix your car, watch over you to make sure you are safe. Search
"General Gow goes to Bonneville and the HAMB drags" they actually are watching his car on the highway cameras to make sure he is safe.
I went to an early V8 car show this weekend, there were some really pretty cars there, all bone stock, I down right fell in love with the one little 37 I think, black. I looked hard and long at the crowd that was the club, they were all 60 plus, I didn't see any kids or grand kids, I wonder what's going to happen to the cars when the time passes and they lose their owners, will they be treasured or will they be chopped slammed and donked. I fear the later. We have to reach out to the kids, you have to make the effort. If you don't reach out to the kids the whole thing will be lost, no one will carry the torch. Be friendly and accepting of youth, you yourself will feel a lot younger for it.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #31
craneygartz

Learn what you can, when you can and pass that on. 56 years ago this was bought running and titled as a stocker for $35. We will not see those days again. The grown men that helped this teenager are long gone, or just very old. Thanks to such as G.W. Green, Miller Morriss and Laddie Segrest in the Waco, Texas of the mid fifties.

John Oder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John_Coupe.jpg (61.8 KB, 35 views)
craneygartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #32
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Frank,
Likewise it is not fair for the poster to dump his HAMB attitude on Fordbarn. IMO one of the worst things about the new Fordbarn is the number of HAMBers who think this is just an extension of the HAMB. Old fordbarn was a lot better off without them.
Sadly, attitudes like yours are what's wrong with the Fordbarn and why "outsiders" thing the membership is a bunch of crotchety old farts. Yes, the HAMB might be a bit more salty than here, but you've blown it far out of proportion with your descriptions.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #33
Barry Wolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverslim View Post
You might also take note that a lot of innocent, good-intentioned posters with legitimate questions and observations have been heckled, chastised and treated so abusively that they never come back. For some reason a minority few over there seem to get their "kicks" from hazing new posters, a tradition some of us don't appreciate...slim

I've noted the same.

They just locked a thread I started on Prom cars as being OT, yet they let subjects such as boats, teardrop trailers and Pebble Beach pictures to stay.

Too bad, too, because the thread had a great response.
Barry Wolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #34
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
better off staying home watching OCC, Jersey shore, and seinfeld reruns on tbs.
I like my Seinfeld reruns......
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #35
Da Tinman

There is more info available on the hamb than you could ever imagine. If you you have a legitimate question about how to do something or why something didnt work you can post it up and get answers (usually in a few minutes) from old timers and professional builders. FOR FREE.

Have a question about the history of your 50s era kustom? Post it up, someone will know.

Lots of B.S. and attitude, but who cares, swim around it and learn a few things.

yeah I'm a Hamber that came over, if you think that makes my knowledge or questions less legitimate,, then thats your problem.

As for the Prom thread, if they would have stayed on topic, it would still be open, not your fault, still kinda sux. I was trying to get my daughter (she's a hamber too) to post up her Prom story from this year.
Da Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #36
Barry Wolk

Maybe your word in the right ear might open it up again, or maybe I'll start one here.
Barry Wolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #37
ford1

Barry Wolk, take your story over to the chevybarn, then click on the non chevy guys room, your story will be welcome there and it wont be deleted, they love the family stories and experiences, that is one of the most friendly sites you will ever visit,
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #38
flatheadernie

YOU ARE THE KIND THAT MKES IT WORTHWHILE, ernie n tx bone stock 46 coupe, well 255 cubes is close LOLe
flatheadernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #39
Django

Ordinarily I would defend the HAMB vehemently, but this like the 8th or 9th thread and it's getting old. However this entire thread was worth reading just for this comment. Hahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by German View Post
The crappy thing about restoring an old ford is knowing that as soon as you die, your kids will drop a small block chevy in it, put an independent front suspension in it, and paint it some whore-house shade of purple. UNLESS, they read the HAMB, then at least, they will only install a drop axle up front, longer shackles in the rear, retain the flathead, and keep the laquer black......
Old 08-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #40
Mike51Merc

Just like any forum or social gathering you're bound to the 2% rule where, at any given time, 2% of the people will be a$$holes.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote