Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2024, 07:38 PM   #1
metro1

Default Crud in carb bowl

Anyone else have a problem with deposits in carb bowl after it sits for awhile? I rebuilt my carb about 1 year ago. Gas tank looks clean inside and inline filter was installed. Fresh gas in tank. The car is not on the road yet so it's started only to move it for repair work. I could not keep it running today so I pulled the carb apart. The bottom of the bowl had a lot of white/orange looking mush in it. Researching on line, a lot of people blame ethanol fuel for this although some think it's additives left behind when the fuel evaporates. I know a lot of people don't drive their old cars that much either. What can be done about this? Install a cut-off valve and run the carb dry?
metro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 08:53 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Default Re: Crud in carb bowl

HERE - https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/...-classic-ride/

ALSO - https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mi...-for-old-cars/

WHILE AT IT - https://www.carburetor-parts.com/pro...r-from-ethanol

If you see sediment in the fuel bowl, it also may be from a corrosion damaged pump, steel lines, or possibly a corroded fuel tank also.

Use a QUALITY FUEL FILTER before the CARB. ETHANOL eats a cellulose filer element leading to CARB fouling. Consider a sintered bronze filter element design.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 03-08-2024 at 09:33 PM. Reason: THE USUAL - ADVANCED CRS
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:48 PM   #3
metro1

Thanks Kultulz. Looking at the first article I see there seems to be a disagreement on this subject. There is an oil/propane company close to me that sells non ethanol gas. I'm going to drain my tank and use that in this car and see what happens. It would also be nice to have a desiccant on the vent tube to keep moisture from being breathed in. When I worked for the power company we would let the large transformers breath through containers of desiccant to prevent condensation inside the tank.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:06 AM   #4
KULTULZ

E0 is the way to go with a CARB SYSTEM, but is usually hard to find (farmland, marinas and small airports) and more expensive.

Regardless, either fuel is going to draw (E10 more) moisture in a vented system. In a previous world in a GALAXIE FAR, FAR AWAY, vehicle fuel tanks had a petcock where one could drain the accumulated water that collects on the bottom of the tank. HEAVY TRUCK has tank drain petcocks usually and use a water separator.

Ethanol blended fuel was designed for FUEL INFECTION with a proper EVAP SYSTEM.

If you do devise a desiccant trap for your vent, let the rest of us know how it went.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 03-09-2024, 02:56 PM   #5
metro1

My '59 Galaxie does have a threaded plug on the bottom of the gas tank. I could put a small valve there and position it so it doesn't hang too low.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:29 PM   #6
miker98038

Even running them dry just delays the problem. The engine quits when the fuel levels drops below the jet, and what’s left is just less. I just took a small engine apart (wouldn’t idle) and found the main jet and idle jet coated with a black glue. Rubber dissolved from the fuel hose from the ethanol. Carb cleaner, compressed air, I’m back in business. And a new “ethanol resistant “ fuel hose. Resistant, not ethanol proof. Guess I’ll see how long that lasts.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 08:16 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Crud in carb bowl

Read This - https://www.holley.com/products/plum...e/vapor_guard/

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 03-09-2024, 10:11 PM   #8
miker98038

Yes, the engines with license plates have “proper” fuel hose. This is a gen set, and the 4” long hose has both a 90 and an offset. Gravity feed to boot. Can’t get the right stuff to make the bends, and the molded replacement is the same as the failed one. I’ll be changing it again as preventative maintenance. But it would do the same thing used in a vehicle.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote