Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2022, 08:29 AM   #1
Bruce in southern OH

Default 1936 Ford 6 volt battery size

Need info on a 6 volt battery that will fit in under floor board of a 1936 Four door Converible Sedan?? Thanks in advance
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: 1936 Ford 6 volt battery size

I use an Optima red top. Amazing battery. It’s too tall but lay it over on an angle. Mine has been this way for 12 years. Their an AGM Battery so you could run it upside down if you want.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:28 PM   #3
Don Rogers

Here is an image of an original battery with dimensions. Most batteries today including the optima are too high. You can either rebuild the battery box to lower it or you can buy a special access cover with extra height. A lot of people mount an optima diagonally in an old battery case. It looks original from underneath and the terminals line up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batt Dimensions.jpg (56.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0392.jpg (24.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20170304_091949.jpg (68.4 KB, 78 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:51 AM   #4
Bruce in southern OH

Thank you both!
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:31 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

I've also been using an Optima battery in my '35 fordor for many years. I took a slightly different approach to mounting it in the original battery box under the front floor. This mounting was done with no modifications to the stock mounting box, and I could switch it back to an original size 2LF battery in about 10 minutes. See attached pictures. It's not original and beautiful, but very functional....

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:53 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

From what I am hearing you aren't going to get those kind of years out of the 'new' Optima batteries.

Like most things today, they are being made on the cheap off shore, but still charging pree-mo bucks.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:59 PM   #7
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
From what I am hearing you aren't going to get those kind of years out of the 'new' Optima batteries.

Like most things today, they are being made on the cheap off shore, but still charging pree-mo bucks.
So what is a better alternative? With same CCA? Thanks.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:27 PM   #8
koates

Quote:

Just more unsubstantiated rumors but they are made in Mexico where many quality electrical parts are manufactured. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:32 PM   #9
tubman

Quote:

This is not exactly true. There was a thread on the H.A.M.B several years ago on this very subject. The best aspect of that thread is that an executive from Johnson Controls (who bought Optima in 2000) contributed to that tread, not once, but several times. Basically, to cut costs (now a core American corporate strategy), they moved the operation to Mexico. There were some problems that resulted from that move that allowed some sub-standard batteries to get out. The executive freely admitted this and assured the forum that steps were being taken to correct the problems. They were obviously able to do so. The Optima that I had in my Ford previously to the current one was purchased in 2006 (significantly after the move) and lasted 13 years. My current one is going on 5 years old.

An interesting observation is that although the starter in the car never failed on me, it never seemed to be quite right. Therefore, I replaced it in 2021 with one I rebuilt myself. It proved to be an improvement and works much better that the one it replaced. The 2006 Optima lasted 13 years even with a marginal starter.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 05:20 AM   #10
ndnchf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I've also been using an Optima battery in my '35 fordor for many years. I took a slightly different approach to mounting it in the original battery box under the front floor. This mounting was done with no modifications to the stock mounting box, and I could switch it back to an original size 2LF battery in about 10 minutes. See attached pictures. It's not original and beautiful, but very functional....
I just bought an optima for my '35 Fordor. I like your battery support solution. Did you buy that somewhere or make it?
Thanks, Steve
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 08:39 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Hi Steve, I made that mount from materials I had on hand in my shop at that time. The main piece that holds the battery in place was cut from a long piece of U shapped stainless steel sheet metal that I had salvaged from an old building years ago. It just happened to be the right size and configuration to hold the 6V Optima in place between the existing stock battery box rails. That complete assembly requires no modifications to the original box, and can be quickly removed.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 08-03-2023 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:15 AM   #12
ndnchf

Quote:
Hi Steve, I made that mount from materials I had on hand in my shop at that time. The main piece that holds the battery in place was cut from a long piece of U shapped stainless steel sheet metal that I had salvaged from an old building years ago. It just happened to be the right size and configuration to hold the 6V Optima in place between the existing stock battery box rails. That complete assembly requires no modifications to the original box, and can be quickly removed.
Thanks John, looks like a good solution. I may make something similar.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:30 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

You are welcome, Steve. I made a couple more of those for friends that wanted to mount an Optima in their '35/'36 Ford.
I bought one of those raised covers that's pictured in Don Rogers post but opted to go with mounting the battery lower in the original box instead.

Old 08-03-2023, 09:40 AM   #14
ndnchf

Quote:
You are welcome, Steve. I made a couple more of those for friends that wanted to mount an Optima in their '35/'36 Ford.
I bought one of those raised covers that's pictured in Don Rogers post but opted to go with mounting the battery lower in the original box instead.
I just went out and looked at mine. It seems someone already made some type of modification. After I pick up the optima, I'll pull the old battery and see what needs to be done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230803_103421_copy_1134x857.jpg (49.9 KB, 115 views)
Old 08-03-2023, 11:11 AM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
I just went out and looked at mine. It seems someone already made some type of modification. After I pick up the optima, I'll pull the old battery and see what needs to be done.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote